The great debate

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
I know this is a Kubota Tractor forum and most people are pro using products, but for the people running the older machines, I’m just curious if anyone here shell s4 txm or shell donax. Are there any other oils out there that meet the standards for kubota machines. I think the quality of oil is important but more so the intervals at which things are changed and inspected . Cheers

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only Shell products I use are in my machine tools. Donax on the gearboxes and Velocite in the spindle bearings...and their VG32 way oil too.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Most people seem to use the Kubota UDT or a cheaper universal tractor fluid in the older gear drive tractors that I see discussed here.

I use tractor supply Traveler universal tractor fluid in my L185

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Most people seem to use the Kubota UDT or a cheaper universal tractor fluid in the older gear drive tractors that I see discussed here.

I use tractor supply Traveler universal tractor fluid in my L185

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use Chevron All Weather Synthetic THF in both my M's Change them both at the same time to the tune of just under 30 gallons.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I know this is a Kubota Tractor forum and most people are pro using products, but for the people running the older machines, I’m just curious if anyone here shell s4 txm or shell donax. Are there any other oils out there that meet the standards for kubota machines. I think the quality of oil is important but more so the intervals at which things are changed and inspected . Cheers
There's other oils out there, but I haven't been able to find them cheaper than the UDT/ UDT2 at my local dealer.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you look in the owners' manual of a Kubota B7100 HST from the mid 1990's, you will find a list of acceptable lubricants from differing suppliers

As technology with lubricants improves, I feel it is unwise not to afford your machine the benefits of the improvements in lubrication over 20+ years of learning.

The reduction in wear of critical parts produced by the improved lubricants may well significantly extend the tractor's life.

However, if you are already trailing clouds of blue smoke and starting is difficult because of low compression, then use cheap fluids as it is too late to benefit.

Dave

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
... for the people running the older machines, I***8217;m just curious if anyone here shell s4 txm or shell donax. Are there any other oils out there that meet the standards for kubota machines. I think the quality of oil is important but more so the intervals at which things are changed and inspected ...
I run an older machine and had the interesting experience that the aftermarket oil supplier (Chevron/Texaco/Caltex in this case) reformulated their oil so the ATF-J oil they recommended on one of their websites as suitable for power steering use on my tractor was no longer suitable according to their latest technical data sheet (TDS). So the moral of the story, for me, was check the latest TDS before buying oil. Or buy Kubota product.

About oil change intervals... agreed, the other lesson I learnt at the same time was to be sure that if adding or changing the oil the new is compatible with the old - unless you do a full flush. For example of the 2 replacement options recommended for the power steering, one was acid-based and the other basic... so there was a 50:50 chance one was incompatible with the existing oil and could have caused problems. So maybe staying with Kubota product might have avoided that risk.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Why run the risk of ruining a good tractor buying what you think is cheap fluid products? How much you gonna save? Over what time frame? ...versus the broken machine repair and heartache/trouble and feeling 'toopid?

Buy the real deal and enjoy the piece of mind. Your Kubota dealer will be there for you when you need him because he'll remember you.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Yeah, the dealbreaker for me was the oil company changing the formulation - but not the name or packaging - so it was no longer compatible, and not updating all their web-based info. I only found out because I pay more attention to detail than many.

For big users of their product the oil company sales engineer or account manager would warn you of an upcoming formulation change, but small users like many of us... tough luck. Buyer beware.

There's no guarantee that Kubota product will never have a problem, and you might never realise if it was causing a problem either if you weren't running side-by-side tests, but at least the chances of incompatibility are reduced.

Grant2K

Equipment
L2900
Apr 2, 2019
NJ
I don't want to hijack but I think this is on topic. I have an L2900 regular manual gear drive, not Glideshift. So it's a pretty standard tractor. The manual calls for Super UDT, but is it really necessary in a standard transmission? The manual is obviously written to cover all options for this tractor. The wording is:

"..it is important that a multi-grade transmission fluid be used in this system. We recommend the use of Kubota Super UDT fluid for optimum protection and performance."

Since it's something that won't get changed often I see the value in getting the real thing from the dealer, but Tractor Supply is 10 minutes from my house. This Rotella HD tractor and transmission fluid is multi-viscosity, would you consider it an acceptable subsitute?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ersal-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-pail?cm_vc=-10005

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
When I got my first Kubota, through frugality and minimal knowledge, I bought TSC Universal Tractor fluid; and as far as I knew, the tractor worked just fine.
However, I am now somewhat more informed about oils and while frugality may be virtue for some, in the case of a $25K tractor and the minimal cost difference, using Kubota SUDT-2 is my choice.
YMMV.

Grant2K

Equipment
L2900
Apr 2, 2019
NJ
I think part of what I'm so baffled about is what is SO special about Super UDT or UDT 2 that I haven't seen any aftermarket fluids that say they are a direct substitute? Granted, I haven't spent all that much time researching this. I know not all oils are created equal and there are additive packages that vary. I can see these making a big difference when friction plates and clutches and even pressure operated internal valves are involved. But in a gear driven tractor, wet brakes aside, kept on a standard maintenance schedule, where is the magic in the Kubota branded lubricant? I am not saying there isn't any, I just don't understand how I haven't seen another manufacturer that can supposedly match it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I agree....it's mostly hype.
Maybe so, but if I had a tractor that was under warranty, I'd be very careful what I substituted with...

Hell, I'd be careful even if it wasn't under warranty. JMHO.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don't want to hijack but I think this is on topic. I have an L2900 regular manual gear drive, not Glideshift. So it's a pretty standard tractor. The manual calls for Super UDT, but is it really necessary in a standard transmission? The manual is obviously written to cover all options for this tractor. The wording is:

"..it is important that a multi-grade transmission fluid be used in this system. We recommend the use of Kubota Super UDT fluid for optimum protection and performance."

Since it's something that won't get changed often I see the value in getting the real thing from the dealer, but Tractor Supply is 10 minutes from my house. This Rotella HD tractor and transmission fluid is multi-viscosity, would you consider it an acceptable subsitute?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ersal-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-pail?cm_vc=-10005
Well, I've already expressed my personal opinion on factory fluids, but between UDT and Super UDT... the difference as explained to me by my local Kubota (who, down here in Tx, only handles UDT but would order the Super for me) ...is, that Super UDT is appropriate for wide temperature swings such as you guys up Nawth experience. The Super is synthetic and the UDT is semi-synthetic, allowing the Super to have a wider range of viscosity/flow in cold temps.
Stay with the Kubota fluids whichever you choose, IMO.

(As for the link to the TSC Shell product, it's only a little less expensive than the real deal Kubota fluid, however,...notice it's rated "rated 4.3 out of 5 by 6." I can only imagine the technical expertise of those who performed those "ratings" and how applicable their opinions are to your equipment.)

Last edited:

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Well... My M4500 calls for SAE 80 gear oil. The hydraulics and tranny share the same oil (11 gallons of it). That'd be fine I suppose if you never used anybody else's equipment (I'll rent a no-till drill or borrow another implement occasionally). But... if you contaminate someone else's modern hydraulic system/wet clutch tranny with gear oil from a shared implement someone's going to be mighty unhappy. So it gets a universal tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid (usually traveler/TSC it's compatible with most Deere, IH & Case stuff).
Was that transmission made for that lubricant? No. Does it make more gear noise on the thinner fluid? Yes. Do I really have a choice if I'm gonna share any equipment? Not really.