Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 03-26-2015   #11
Tx Jim

4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M7040 HDC-1
Default Re: More m9000 fuel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabo View Post
Somehow the bowl will fill itself up after it sits not running for a while. But when running stays bout half full

Sounds as if fuel is restricted from tank to water separator. I would install new rubber fuel lines from thank to inj pump if you haven't already done so. Is fuel return line from inj pump to tank open IE not plugged? Have you considered installing an electric fuel lift pump?
Tx Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2015   #12
Diydave
Journeyman

Equipment: L2202 tractor, L185f tractor

I'd run an inspection camera into the empty tank, and post the video, If I knew how... I'm betting there is a obstruction near the fuel outlet, in the tank. Under no demand, it lets a little fuel go to the bowl, but when fuel demand is higher, it sucks the obstruction tight against the outlet. I've seen bumble bees, leaves, clover heads all do this. Someone posted a picture of light bulb on another thread here, within the past week.

Back to that camera, HF has 'em pretty cheap, I used one to diagnose a missing freeze plug, on my L-185. The head was too big to fit in the block, correctly, but the angle if sight was such that I could see a partial image of the hole where the plug should have been...

Anyway, here's that link: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...pection+camera
Diydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #13
Kabo
1st Yr. Apprentice

Can anybody tell me what size those fuel lines are and how many feet I might need? Think I might give that a shot. The return line is not clogged. I do have access to a borescope to look in the tank
Kabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #14
Kabo
1st Yr. Apprentice

And I did run an electric pump in place of the lift pump but still no luck
Old 03-26-2015   #15
Diydave
Journeyman

Equipment: L2202 tractor, L185f tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabo View Post
Can anybody tell me what size those fuel lines are and how many feet I might need? Think I might give that a shot. The return line is not clogged. I do have access to a borescope to look in the tank
Probably your best bet would be to measure the OD of the hose you have on it, in the middle, away from hose clamp bulges. Also note what the hose looks like or take a picture, on your phone. Then go to an auto parts place, and ask for diesel resistant fuel return hose, in the same size.
Diydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #16
Bulldog
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT

Might try taking the line loose at your primary filter, the feed side from the tank. Run you a line from a can and let it feed into the primary filter that way if this works you know for sure the filter system is working correctly. That won't leave anything but the line back to the tank and inside the tank itself.

When you tried the electric pump, where did you hook it in the fuel line?

You said you already drained the tanks. What if anything did you find when you did this?

When you cleared the vent lines, were they plugged up? If so did you blow the trash bad into the tank or work it out the end with a wire or whatever?

Do you still have the primary filter you replaced so it can be cut open and see what's inside? Could give you a clue what you're dealing with.

When you replaced the primary filter did you use the pump on top of the filter base to prime the system? I only ask to insure you know it's working. I have seen those pumps go bad and it will stop the fuel from flowing to the filters.

As far as the water separator filling while it's not running. My guess is the engine is trying to suck the fuel thru the system. When it's off it hold enough vacuum on the lines to fill the bowl.

Since it's going to be such a challenge to see in the tank with a camera I would save that till last. If you can get a line hooked up that feeds your primary filter and everything works fine then you have it narrowed down to one single line coming from the tank. At least then you'll know where your problem is. Keep us posted.
Old 03-27-2015   #17
ShaunRH

Journeyman

Equipment: L3200

If you can pull the tank, do it. Just empty it and dump out any crap that has built up in there. I've seen exactly what you are describing from tanks that are shedding rust or internal paint chips.

Your sediment bowl problem is probably the suction releasing vapor (a form of cavitation) from the fuel. It means the starvation is likely before the sediment bowl, or the tank. It could be a bad shut off valve as well, but you said you bypassed that assembly.

I would take off the tank, clean the crap out of it, replace ALL the hoses and the sediment bowl assembly, they are cheap enough and you have no idea what's gummed up or plugged up with what. Get a clear fuel filter in line after the sediment bowl and keep stock of a few new ones to swap out.

If the tank is rusting, keep the tank full and use fuel additives to kill the water in the fuel. If it's peeling paint, have it sandblasted out. If you have money to burn, buy a nice polished stainless steel tank and have matching braided fuel lines with chromed equipment... that will look great
ShaunRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #18
Bulldog
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT

Bad thing on the 9000 is you have 2 tanks to deal with.
Old 03-27-2015   #19
Kabo
1st Yr. Apprentice

Ok so today I drained the tank once again. While the plug was out I blew compressed air though it. Got a little debris out, nothing major. I replaced the o ring in the fuel bowl and ran new hose from the tank to the bowl. Bled the system and it is running good for now, I didn't have time to let it run very long. I'll run it some more tomorrow. Fingers crossed, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. It's ran good for a couple days straight on a few occasions so time will tell. Thanks to everyone who took the time out to give advice, you guys are awesome. I'll keep you posted
Old 03-28-2015   #20
Tallahassee Kubota Man
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller

I had the same problem (symptoms) you're having. The problem was in the line from the tank to the bowl. Somehow I picked up some fibrous looking junk that partially stopped the flow of fuel. It took some time, but I finally worked it all out by using a wire and milking the debris out. Mine would run ok for a while then start gasping for fuel. Very aggravating until I got the junk out.
Good luck!
Tallahassee Kubota Man is offline   Reply With Quote