Box blade help

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I need a box blade and want some advice.

Main purpose will be maintenance of my rock driveway. My new (to me) driveway is rock and runs about 200 yards. Have a couple of areas that need more rock and want to widen in a couple of spots.

Because of the rocks do I need a "heavy duty"? I can't imagine using it more than once or twice a year. In fact I would love to find a used one here locally.

BTW I have a L4400 tractor it will be used with.

Thanks

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
If your main goal is to maintain your gravel drive, you may want to consider a land plane. I have over 1000' of gravel drive and it makes quick work of it. No need to manipulate the 3 point like you would with a box blade.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
If you were using it everyday I would recommend a HD version. For homeowner use I don't think you would ever wear the light duty one out. The cutting edge is replaceable .

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
If your main goal is to maintain your gravel drive, you may want to consider a land plane. I have over 1000' of gravel drive and it makes quick work of it. No need to manipulate the 3 point like you would with a box blade.
I also believe that a land plane is the way to go. IMO, the single best implement for general road maintenance. ;)

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep if it's gravel and not big rock then a Land plane is hands down the best implement for maintenance! ;)

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Just saw this similar issue on another forum...

All kinds of comments like, get this, not that, this is better than that and so on..

We bought a local auto, farm store brand box blade, 5', for discount cheaper than the material to build one. Yes.. It is China made, but for what it does it is good for our lifetime.

I am big on multiple use implements, with or without small additions, I am considering a bolt on scraper blade on the leading edge of the box blade that will act much as a land plane will. The extra blade and some adjustment to the top link should make it work more than adequate.

If you do not build, fabricate, either of the dedicated implements will likely do. But it is easy to get a lot of money tied up in dedicated implement very fast..

My 5 cents of thoughts and opinion..

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I don't own a land plane so I can't comment on it. I have however watched several you tube video's and I'm convinced it would be great on your gravel drive. I do own a box blade and have found I can make the drive look really good with it and it can be used for several other applications. If money was no object I would probably have both. One tip I will pass on is I have a chain harrow that I drag behind the box blade. One pass and it is smooth and looks good.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
If you are only looking to take care of the road then the land plane is the way to go, but if you need to level any area or move soil the box blade will be better. Great to have both, but if you have a use for more than clean up start with a BB. I have a hydraulic top link and it really helps the usefullness of the BB.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Thank you guys for the advice.

I'm going to watch some videos on the land plane--never heard of it. That may be a great option.