Backhoe worn out, pins loose, how to fix?

Boomhauer

Equipment
Kubota B8200 with FEL and BL4520 Backhoe. Jinma 254 with FEL
Feb 16, 2020
Dripping Springs
What is the best way to tighten this backhoe up? Should i weld around the edges and then grind it back to the correct size or insert a bushing maybe? Pin size is 1" diameter and model is Kubota BL4520.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can't weld around them and get it anywhere close to where you need them.
Weld bushings in them!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
+1 but if I was doing it, I'd remove both of the arms, jig them up on a vertical mill and line bore them in tandem to the od of the bushing size, then weld in the bushings. That way there will be no mis alignment between the two arms

You really need to keep those pivot points well greased to prevent that, like every time you use the hoe.

Get new pins or make a set from bar stock and counter drill them ant tap for grease fittings (recessed).

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Are those the holes in the bucket ears? I had the same problem with the same backhoe. You'll notice the pins are longer than they need to be, so I cut off the ears, and welded on new ears made with 50-100% thicker plate. I've got pics stored somewhere of the condition of mine - similar, but the pins were also worn, with grooves in them. Replacement pins were about $90 whether from Kubota or Woods (I think Kubota was a tad less) - but yours look ok yet?

The teeth were also worn almost off on my bucket - Kubota sells bolt on teeth for their 4672 BH that work well.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
there ain't a lot of meat in the first picture for the shaft to be on ! Can you weld 1/4-1/2" thick material to add 'bearing' surface ?
some kind of greasable pin would really be nice....

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Heavy wall 1" ID tube , 1" bar stock to hold them in alignment, heavy duty lock rings/ collars (whatever you want to call them) welded to outside - then I reamed rings for 1" bronze bushings- drill & tap for grease fittings for sure ! , new seal kits for hydraulic cylinders while I had them apart !

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Heavy wall 1" ID tube , 1" bar stock to hold them in alignment, heavy duty lock rings/ collars (whatever you want to call them) welded to outside - then I reamed rings for 1" bronze bushings- drill & tap for grease fittings for sure ! , new seal kits for hydraulic cylinders while I had them apart !

In the dirt, bronze bushings (I think you mean 660CA bushings )are a mistake. The dirt will eat them up in no time flat, even faster with grease involved. Steel bushings only. 660CA bushing are fine for loaders and hoes but not at the in the dirt end.

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
I haven't been seeing alot of problems with bronze getting sloppy quickly , but can't say I've used the steel either , so I'll keep it in mind, always liked bronze @ pivots for ease of movement and pretty cheap to change out if need be, the wear is going to occur on something, I had 1 arm crack from binding even w/plenty of grease maintenance ( probably alignment issue) that bushing can wear in and seat where it likes to be - just how I learned to put some cushion so that it wasn't steel on cast iron etc - thx for the info