Front tires

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Hi All my L185 has the original tires on it from 78.
The front ones are cracked and should be replaced.
Looked online for 20x10x8 and found many.
My question is my rims have 6 hex bolts for mounting and 6 nuts & bolts to hold 2 halves of rim together.
Tire seems to be tubeless and wonder if seal is between 2 halves?
If so, is it something I can change or what would I need to do to insure no leaks?
Stem seems to be tubeless style. Is that something I can change?
Probably pulls thru from inside. How hard to pull new one thru and if special tool is needed?
Some tires are load range B others C.
I could not find load range on existing tires.
Which ones would I need?
I do have a 5 foot dozer blade on front.
Or take new tires to a dealer for them to install?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks David

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Only 2 piece wheels I have messed with have tubes. After paying for my education at the tire store I should have just fixed them myself at home. I will from now on.

You don't have to have a tool for valve stems but it's easier if you do. TSC has a pretty good one for cheap. I have used mine many times without issue.

The load range C will be the heavier tire and with front blade I'd think that would be a plus.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Load range “C” is a heavier duty tire capable of carrying more weight than load range “B”.

CAUTION: Those split rims can be dangerous. When you add air to pressurize that tire the forces upon that rim/wheel can KILL YOU if it lets go. Unless you have that tire contained in a “cage” or can inflate it from a distance (using a hose and clip-on schraeder-valve attachment) ... be aware of that. Stand ASIDE and protect yourself when inflating a tire, especially the FIRST time after installation.

Inspect the rim/wheel for corrosion, cracks, etc., and think about those bolts/nuts. Are they rusty and of unknown source?
Don’t use common hardware.

As for the stem: A rubber pull-through stem is not as durable as an all-metal threaded stem, and a tractor often is run through deep dirt/mud/etc which can break the stem or pull it aside and create a loss of air.

If you’re not confident you can determine the safety of a split-rim, then taking it to a tire dealer who is familiar might be a good idea.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The split rims I've ever seen on tractors have the two pieces bolted together with several bolts. No danger there.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Hi D2 Cat is there a seal between the 2 halves.
My tire says tubeless.
What keeps the air from leaking between the 2 halves?
My valve seems to be inserted not from a tube.
Thanks Everyone David

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have a F model (2wd)?

If you do, then yes there was a gasket between the rim halves.

P/N 34159-11860

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
This MIGHT be the gasket, but don't take my word for it. Just posting to show that a gasket is sometimes used and the general cost as of this posting.

Part Number 34159-11860
Vendor Kubota
Messick's Price $16.95
Stock Quantity 0
Weight 0.10 lbs
Days to Order 5-7 business days
Replaces 34150-11860, 99474-27250

Shopmaster

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Feb 5, 2020
Midwest, USA
Until you get them replaced be careful when airing them up. I had a front tire on a 4wd compact tractor explode with my head directly over the rupture. They were weathercracked but not severe. Complete blowout big enough to stick your fist in. My ears rang for a couple of days, otherwise I was very lucky.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Call them and ask if they can order it?
It's not showing as discontinued, so it's possible that you can still get it. ;)

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Thanks Wolfman I may just take the wheels into dealer in Spring.
If I buy everything and would have an issue then they may not like me come running to them. Worried if I would have a leak.
I just hope I do not have a problem this winter. Need that plow.
Thanks everyone.
David

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks Wolfman I may just take the wheels into dealer in Spring.
If I buy everything and would have an issue then they may not like me come running to them. Worried if I would have a leak.
I just hope I do not have a problem this winter. Need that plow.
Thanks everyone.
David
I once thought I’d save my employer some money by purchasing the tires directly from a distributor and having the aircraft shop install them on the jet. It worked out very well and saved about $1200.

Or so I thought.

A week later I noticed the sidewalls cracking. I took the airplane back to the shop where I was educated to realize that they’d be very happy to charge me again to remove those tires and install a different set,.... but that I would be the one to make any warranty claims from the tire distributor.

After that, I never again asked the restaurant to fry my eggs for me. I let the shop make the mark-up on the tires (or whatever other parts) I needed replaced so that any problems of warranty on either the parts OR labor was their problem not mine.