No start D1105.... tower light...this shouldn't be so hard

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It only takes seconds for the air in the system to be purged, if there is air in it after a few seconds then it's getting sucked into the system via a bad seal, fitting, or line.

No need to loop the system and let it run.

If the fuel tank is at or below the injection pump, there should be an electric or mechanical lift pump in the system, that cures the low tank situation.

Last edited:

original81

Feb 13, 2020
Grimsby, Ontario, Canada
Ok, makes sense...I couldn't see that much air coming out for so long very logical.

I will check the seals, connections etc.

But wouldn't there be weepage where the air leak is? Or if I squeeze off the line whilst the pump runs, wouldn't there be a fuel spray from the leak?

I will let you know what I find

thanks for all the comments..everyone.

original81

Feb 13, 2020
Grimsby, Ontario, Canada
Well there it is...Issue solved.

The air leak was there, it camouflaged under the bell housing and on top of the tank. The mechanics had changed the in line filter so often that in one or successive times they gouged the rubber inside the hose, creating a flap of rubber protruding done in front intake if the in line filter..and creating a porous piece of weeping hose under the clamp
When the hose was trimmed back, everything reassembled, and the pump tested the flow was remarkably stronger, noticeable to a trained eye, and no air issues were present when the flow was sealed off with a finger.

the engine sparked up in a second.. one cough and it ran smooth

Success

I did let the pump cycle for an hour to amuse myself, but that was just a research project. sorry NIW

Thanks for all the help fellows. Everyone here contributed to the knowledge base and I was able to work thru the pieces and pull it together. It feels good to fix something. instead of just throwing away stuff.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
one thing that happened to me. I got a leaf down in the fuel tank. It restricted the flow out of the tank to the degree that the engine would stall under load. My first action was to replace the fuel filter. That did nothing. Ultimately (after much head scratching) I blew compressed air backward through the fuel line into the tank (thats how I found the leaf).

So make sure that your lift pump isnt having to suck too hard to get fuel.