L3901 HST 4WD making a rattling/roaring noise

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
Wow! that's great way of handling that. I never even thought of that direction your solution was a very good one thanks for sharing.

Godaddy

Equipment
m7060
Feb 5, 2020
usa
Call Kubota District rep guy! See what he can offer. Good luck! Way to of low hours for issues unless it was abused.

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
Godaddy thanks for the suggestion. My tractor was indoor kept and never abused like it to much for that.
Update still haven't heard back from the dealer on my warranty like they said they were going to do.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Shop called yesterday says the clutch release bearing was fine but the clutch release plate is bad. Estimate is $1500 could be more or less plus delivery charges. They explained that when the tractor sits some time that the clutch plate doesn't get enough lubrication and causes friction. I am not really 100% following this he also said there is a lever that should be activated when parking the tractor in the shed that locks the clutch pedal in the pressed down position.
They also say this is not covered by the drive train warranty since my tractor is over 2 years old. The tractor is actually 2.5 years old now with 157 hours on it. The service guy was really nice and helpful. I plan to call the shop manager or general manager to voice my displeasure.
The only other thing is the metal I found in my HST filter looks like the outer ring of a bearing housing. I am definitely no expert but this just doesn't seem right.
Problem is, they will put your tractor back together and have the same noise because of the fact that your noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed. The noise stops because with the pedal depressed your input shaft into the hydrostat and gearbox stops turning. The bearing that is missing part of its cage is most likely the cause of the noise.

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the clutch at all and a clutch problem that makes noise would most likely make its noise with the pedal depressed, not when released.

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
Thanks Whitetiger/
this was an update earlier in this feed. (Thanks for the advice. I did call the tech at the shop and talked to him to make sure I completely understood. He explained to me the the clutch disk was sticking to flywheel) and this was the cause of the noise. Not sure this would make the noise or not.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As Geo mentioned, writing down the situation helps to see the whole story. When we write things down we think with a different part of our brain then talking. Writing forces us to crystallize our thinking.

I had a friend advise me years ago, when writing a letter explaining my side and wanting to get changes made, end with: "I trust you will guide yourself accordingly". It's a powerful sentence.

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
D2Cat/

I definitely think writing it out in a email/letter or whatever is the way to go. I just reached out to one of the owners via email(this gave me time to say what i wanted without emotion). He responded very quickly. He says he is trying to push this through to Kubota to see if they will cover it. Technically he says its not covered. He says also this is the fourth tractor in all his years that this has happened to. We shall see.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks Whitetiger/
this was an update earlier in this feed. (Thanks for the advice. I did call the tech at the shop and talked to him to make sure I completely understood. He explained to me the the clutch disk was sticking to flywheel) and this was the cause of the noise. Not sure this would make the noise or not.
jt040900,

I think whitetiger and I are on the same page as the likelihood of a "sticking" clutch disk making the noise is very very very very remote.

It's sounds like a crock of Bull Excrement to me, in all my dealings I have yet to see or hear one clutch disk make "noise" unless it was severely damaged and those disk just simply didn't work when they were in, they weren't just rusted up a little.

Understand none of use wants for you to have to deal with a bad service experience, but from what I'm reading I highly doubt a new clutch disk or pressure plate is going to fix it!

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
Wolfman/
Thanks for you insight. What I have read to doesn't make sense either but what can I do. I am at there mercy. I did voice my concern this morning when I emailed one of the owners of the shop. I said what you just said to him in my email. He never really addressed that seemed confident that they had the correct analysis. I will keep you guys updated.
Thanks once again your insight is very helpful.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Ask the dealer, and not just tech, to explain how replacing the clutch has anything to do with the sizable piece of metal you found in the filter. They should have been more worried about finding out that cause, than splitting the tractor to go after the clutch. I would be asking them to have Kubota’s service Representative come to the dealer and meet with you and then to discuss your problem and go what has already been done and what needs to be done. Be nice but very firm so that you are not taken for a ride.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thanks Whitetiger/
I am just waiting until they reassemble your tractor and try to explain why it still makes the noise.
I"m also a little leary of someone who thinks the clutch was not lubed enough.
Sounds like North Idaho Wolfman agrees, but we shall soon know.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am just waiting until they reassemble your tractor and try to explain why it still makes the noise.
I"m also a little leary of someone who thinks the clutch was not lubed enough.
Sounds like North Idaho Wolfman agrees, but we shall soon know.
100% in agreement with ya!

Clutch not lubed...Yep that's a hoot!

I was sort of surprised they didn't tell him his muffler bearings were out, and he was low on blinker fluid.

Last edited:

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
Just got the call the warranty declined by Kubota. Can't say I am not disappointed here! I really thought buying a Kubota tractor would provide longevity and durability without issues so soon. Thought Kubota would stand behind this.

Borgf15

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 4, 2020
ID
Just got the call the warranty declined by Kubota. Can't say I am not disappointed here! I really thought buying a Kubota tractor would provide longevity and durability without issues so soon. Thought Kubota would stand behind this.
I'm having trouble fully understanding why that is not under warranty. I'm showing the drive train warranty as 6 yrs: https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/warranty/limited-warranty

Even if you are a commercial user it should be 3. Are they saying it's not part of the drivetrain?

I'm in the market for a new Kubota and this is concerning...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm having trouble fully understanding why that is not under warranty. I'm showing the drive train warranty as 6 yrs: https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/warranty/limited-warranty

Even if you are a commercial user it should be 3. Are they saying it's not part of the drivetrain?

I'm in the market for a new Kubota and this is concerning...
The warranty does not cover the clutch disk, as it's a wear item. ;)

But there is way more to this than just a bad clutch disk in his case, but the dealer is or mechanic is taken a very odd approach to this noise related issue. :confused:

Last edited:

Borgf15

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 4, 2020
ID
The warranty does not cover clutch disk. ;)

But there is way more to this than just a bad clutch disk in his case, but the dealer is or mechanic is taken a very odd approach to this noise related issue. :confused:
I see...makes me wonder what else I might think is covered under "drivetrain" which truly isn't. Do you know if they spell it out somewhere on the website?

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
All I can do is go with what they are telling me. I got the tractor back yesterday and its not making the noise like it was but its still has a certain noise that I'm not used to. The dealer just delivered the tractor and he says he is meeting with local rep for kubota and hasn't charged me yet. I have a feeling this is a way for them to just get the tractor to me in order for me to be obligated to pay.

Borgf15...I think this is a design flaw having to lock the clutch pedal in when not using it. I would recommend you do some more research on this if your a hobby type operator.

jt040900

Equipment
L3901 4 WD
Feb 10, 2020
Bishopville
UPDATE// Dealer called this morning they are going to take care of $1000 of the $1500 bill. I am pleased they will do this. He said the dealer will help with 500 and kubota will help with another 500.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
UPDATE// Dealer called this morning they are going to take care of $1000 of the $1500 bill. I am pleased they will do this. He said the dealer will help with 500 and kubota will help with another 500.
Well that is some good news!

If they did "fix it" that's excellent.
And like I said before, my and others negativity is not directed at you at all.

I just personally think the dealer is out on a limb with the clutch being the cause, but you know, I didn't take it apart, so maybe they seen something that I can't.

We all do wish you the best with it, period!