B7300 HST footpedals. Really?

JRaf

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 15, 2019
Los Olivos CA
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place but...
I've had two tractors, a B6100 (early 80's) and my current L245DT (late 70's).
Both are simple, manual transmission tractors (4wd with loaders). They were/are easy to operate with clutches on the left, brakes on the right, a throttle pedal which is pretty useful.
I am, right now keeping a friends B7300 HST (late 90's?) on my little ranch. He sold his neighboring property and I'm holding some of his gear. I was surprised to discover that this machine has the most curious, awkward controls! There's a clutch on the left, and on the right there are three pedals, forward, backward and brake. The forward and backward pedals are far apart and can't be "heel and toed". That's not too bad but the brake is up above those two pedals and takes a large and deliberate movement with the right leg to get up there! With the clutch on the left, I'm used to feathering the machine in and out of gear and holding down the brake, but that's impossible with this tractor.
I'm not yet sure where the diff lock is, I haven't used it, but the older tractors are easily accessible with a quick heel stab.
The lack of a foot controlled throttle is also a curious subtraction, though not that big a deal.
I know on more recent B series machines with HST transmissions (which I've driven) the brake is on the left and the forward and reverse pedals are on the right. If memory serves, there's no clutch at all. There's also no throttle pedal but at least you can get to the brake quickly.
The HST system on the B7300 is nice for loader work, although the whine of the transmission is really annoying.
How are the newer non-HST systems laid out? Were all the older (90's?) HST systems like this? I've considered upgrading to a newer HST tractor but I think this setup is kind of impossible.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The layout of the newer HST machines may depend on the model. I have a newer L2501. It has no foot throttle though I believe the standard transmission model does have a foot throttle. The HST forward and reverse is on one pedal - push the front to go forward and the rear to reverse. Clutch is still on the left. You will not heel and toe easily between the brake and the "go pedal" but to do so would be unnecessary. If you release the pedal the tractor will stop. Go visit a dealer to check out options on the newer models.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
It's just different, Not better, not worse. You are just not used to HST.
It gets to be second nature with time.

HST is designed to have the engine set at high idle /full power RPM.

Speed and direction are with the go pedal.
The brakes don't get used much at all with HST.

Keep at it, It's just a machine. you will adapt and enjoy.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like toomany said, with an HST, you don't use the clutch or brakes at all, set the throttle and go.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
This made me think that maybe my brakes are seized. I have never used them.

curly84

Mar 2, 2016
corry pa.
Love my B7800 no problem with any of the controls, it's a digging fool, I skidded tree tops for fire wood, landscape with box blade, plow snow with a blade I made for the front, just purchase a 5-foot King Kutter brush hog from my neighbor, 4 acre field that needs brush hog twice a year.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Like toomany said, with an HST, you don't use the clutch or brakes at all, set the throttle and go.
This is true for the most part.

But if you want to use one rear brake for some reason, like for steering assist, the rocker directional pedal with the brakes above it is cumbersome at best.

While I rarely need to use the rear brakes for steering, when I do dislike of this setup spews from within me...

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
When steering brakes are needed, it's a simple motion to activate the "cruise control" lever on the left side of the cowl on the B7200. That frees up the right foot.

Again, you get used to it with practice. 'can't blame the machine for operator lack of experience.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Yes, It works fine in the woods, I don't have any other place to use any of my tractors except for road work to get up to my place. Hand and foot, together. I didn't think I would like it at first, but now it comes naturally It's not that hard.

JRaf

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 15, 2019
Los Olivos CA
I realize now that this is the current layout of the HST L series. Clutch left, brake and go pedal on the right. It seems awkward but it makes sense that for most stuff both the clutch is only used a little and the brake is used even a little less.
But why do they lay out the current HST B and BX series without a clutch at all?
I guess no one's concerned. Every tractor's different. Whatever.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
...But why do they lay out the current HST B and BX series without a clutch at all?
That is a good question. Did not know they did that with the B series now. One thing I dislike about my BX is the lack of a clutch. Granted the only time I really use the clutch on my B series is with the post hole digger and brush hog. But I can not imagine wanting to use a post hole digger on my BX with no clutch...

I guess I would like a clutch on the BX so I could forget about the sudden activation of the mower deck, which just seems undesirable to me. Can not imagine the stress that must be felt when someone activates their BX pto with a brush cutter attached.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Interesting that there are so many layouts. On the L3560 and the B2650 hst's the brakes are on the left and there is no clutch.

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
I went from a 70’s B6000 to a B7300 HST. After many years of operating tractors with a standard transmission, it did take some getting used to HST and confidence building. Same issue with joystick FEL control. Now I wouldn’t go back. The combination of HST and hydraulic joystick makes FEL work incredibly fast and efficient. Rev up the motor and Forward and reverse speed is increased the further the pedals are depressed. The Differential lock is left heal position on my 7300. My G2460 mower has a single HST heal and toe pedal but I operate it toe and toe. I prefer the B7300 HST pedals being spaced apart to help assure no mis-operation.

curly84

Mar 2, 2016
corry pa.
If I'm skidding a 3000lb.tree top up hill or down I sure the hell not going to be in cruise control, that's dangerous I need full control and concentration, good way to get hurt. I use to skid logs with a 20 ton skidder
Seen a lot of shit happen

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
If I'm skidding a 3000lb.tree top up hill or down I sure the hell not going to be in cruise control, that's dangerous I need full control and concentration, good way to get hurt. I use to skid logs with a 20 ton skidder
Seen a lot of shit happen

If you become accustomed to leaving your left hand on the "cruise control" lever, it is very much the same as operating a crawler. Push to go, pull back to stop. Only there is no reverse! ;-)

It comes with practice.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
First time I jumped on an HST Kubota, I thought man this is kinda odd.

It took maybe 5 minutes to get used to it. 5 minutes being real liberal. Probalby closer to 2 min. The big advantage with hst shows up if you have to make lots of directional changes. If all you're doing is bush hogging a wide open field, yeah gear drive will suffice. As far as cost? HST wins. Pay a little more up front but you get it back. A clutch job on a L3901 or L3800 gear with dual stage clutch? About 3 grand if you have to replace the flywheel. $2500 if not. Clutch on a HST? Maybe 1200--if you pay someone else to do it and that' using oem parts.

....just did a 3901, owner was not happy but what choice is there? A $22,000 tractor that is worth maybe 7500 without it working, or put 2500 into it and make it of use again? Yeah he fixed it. Only took him 4 months to quit griping about it. I don't blame him but at the same time I'd be mad at myself too if I burnt the clutch up in under 200 hours use by using it to vary the speed in high gear going into gravel piles.

Last edited: