Does tire grooving really work?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Siping is great on small flexible lugs. I do not think they would work well on R4's due to how stiff the lugs are. You would have to cut awfully deep to get them to flex enough for the siping to work.
from what have read in reference to "snow" it is not the flex of the lug that siping creates that makes the difference. It is something entirely different. It provides a different kind of ruff surface that improves grip.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
from what have read in reference to "snow" it is not the flex of the lug that siping creates that makes the difference. It is something entirely different. It provides a different kind of ruff surface that improves grip.
Siping to be effective needs to have flexibility. It is why you do not see it on solid tires. There needs to be flexibility for it to work.

There are two trains of though on siping. One, the added flexibility increases the contact with the road (the "footprint") the other is; with flexibility between the sipes, snow, ice etc. particles get trapped and increase traction (snow on snow has more traction than rubber on snow).

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
sipes are just very tiny tire groves. Pretty sure a tire grover has blades available for siping.
My tire groover says for siping to install the cutting blade backwards. So instead of a square cutting edge you have two narrow blades, sipes. Hope that helps.

Also some have commented, why not groove to the edge of the lug?
Some believe it may cause with use, tearing or chunks coming off. So I just followed the method of staying away from the edge of the lug.
It is my understanding R4 tires are hard nylon tires and have a higher weight carrying capacity over the softer turf tires.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For anyone want additional first hand information on grooving R4's might go over to that other tractor form and do a search. Kennyd4110 has thread there showing how his was done and how it has worked for traction. Very interesting!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
For anyone want additional first hand information on grooving R4's might go over to that other tractor form and do a search. Kennyd4110 has thread there showing how his was done and how it has worked for traction. Very interesting!
The 'other' forum?????:D

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I spent a pleasant 45 minutes or so grooving my front R1's.
Very handy tool.
Have not had a chance to give it them real traction test yet but with the current extremely variable weather we are having , it will be sloppy pretty quick.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I spent a pleasant 45 minutes or so grooving my front R1's.
Very handy tool.
Have not had a chance to give it them real traction test yet but with the current extremely variable weather we are having , it will be sloppy pretty quick.
Please do add your experience with the grooved R1s as I was wondering how much if any that would affect the traction with such a deep tread. I plan on trying the grooving on my skid-steer tires to hopefully improve the snow traction.

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Update! Just pushed 4 tenths of a mile of snow with temperature at 34 degrees. We had several small snowfalls and after settling it was 4 inches, wet and heavy. I cannot be more pleased with the grooving of my tires. Pushed downhill and off driveway into piles and stacked. Not once did I get stuck or any indication of trying to! I was even able to push uphill!
Best $86 I ever spent!
Sure glad the supplier was out of tire chains for my front tires!
If your mule has tires that act like slicks in snow and ice, groove your tires!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dvan

Equipment
Kubota L2501- LA525 Loader- RCR1260 Rotary mower- BB1260 Box Blade- RB1672 Blade
Sep 28, 2019
Parker, Colorado
Great to hear it’s so effective, I think I will do it as well and I might not need to be In 4wd so much while plowing my concrete driveway. I can’t understand why, if it is so much better, why don’t they just do it to new tires?

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Gave the tractor a good workout in the slick, wet muddy conditions and it seemed to grab better when turning.
We need some snow here to give it a real test.
Stay tuned

Fatfenders

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, LX2980 64" Commercial Snow Blower, FEL w/60" QA bucket, BB1260 Box
Dec 1, 2019
Tomahawk, WI
Just bought a tire groover and haven't even purchased my tractor yet!:p
Thanks for the info in this thread. Saved me a bunch of money on chains.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Just bought a tire groover and haven't even purchased my tractor yet!:p
Thanks for the info in this thread. Saved me a bunch of money on chains.
Regardless if you go chains in the future, you won't regret the purchase. It makes a big difference on the R4's on my B2650.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
First snow to plow in a month and the tires do seem to hold a line better than before when turning with a load of snow
Tomorrow will be the real test as it is currently freezing raining and predicted to continue with mixed precip till Friday night.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Driveway is solid ice, so I made a few passes up and down chewing up the ice with the rear chains.
Pushed off excess snow in a few spots I missed yesterday
All in 2WD with no steering issues at all.
Another vote for groovin':)