Rear Wheel Plug

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
The rear wheel on my MX5000 is leaking through what looks like a plug of some type on the rim. Both rear wheels have it, but only one is leaking. No idea what this is for. Any advice on what this is and how to fix would be appreciated.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The only plug on the rim should be the valve stem where fluid or air is inserted into the tire! Show us a picture, so we can quit guessing!

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
Heading to ranch this weekend and will take a picture and post. These things are on the inside facing rim and the only reason I found them was I was pouring soapy water around the rim on both sides to check for a bead leak.

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
Just one on each rim. My brother in law thinks they might be used for putting something in the tire to weight it down, but I can't see any reason for more weight in the rear of the tractor. I will send pictures this weekend.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just one on each rim. My brother in law thinks they might be used for putting something in the tire to weight it down, but I can't see any reason for more weight in the rear of the tractor. I will send pictures this weekend.
Loading tires with Liquid weight is a very common practice, it aids in traction and stability, and offsets weight in a loader to some extent.

The rims normally not have a seperate post to fill them it's normally done via the Valve stem, and some of the valve stems are 2 piece to allow the port to be larger than the actual stem.

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
I have regular valve stems on the outside facing rim that I use routinely to maintain the desired pressure. Have to say I a feeling a little better about posting my original question...thought it was going to be simple and make me feel like a greenhorn. Picture coming soon

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
Sorry for the delay in posting a picture (in attachment)...weather delay on getting out to the ranch. Here is the plug that is leaking in my wheel. No idea what is it for, or if I can replace without breaking the tire loose from the rim.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Another picture(more of the rim) might help but....it looks like a 'cut off valve stem',perhaps that rim has 2 locations for valve stems to be and this is the one not chosen.
You can see clearly rust, flakey paint around the rubber. I'd probably let out the air, break the bead, remove it, get rid of rust, 2 coats of paint, install new valve stem.....
Maybe Google 'valve stem plug ' or ask a tire guy what they're really called.

one possibility...
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/drc-rim-hole-plugs-p

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
How about a picture of the existing valve stem. Reason I say that is because where the rubber plug is, the rim has the stamped in flat where a stem seats. I'd like to see the 'other' location'.

I suspect the original owner moved the stem and drilled a hole (for whatever reason) in another location.

Something out of the norm going on there, I'd say.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm wondering if these rims have two locations for valve stems, an inny and an outty ? Dependng on how the rims are mounted for 'track', the valve stems could be 'wrong or at least awkward for filling OR exposed to being damaged.

looking at the rust again, you do have to break the bead and clean the INSIDE as well as the outside

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
I think you guys got it. It is a place for another valve stem and it looks like I have to pull the tire and take it in. My ranch borders East Galveston Bay and as you note, everything rusts. My next project is rust control and paint...would like to get a few more years out of this before I trade it in.