LA805 Simultaneous Lift and Curl

Cobra514

Jan 1, 2020
Michigan
My first post (I'm a loader noob coming from an 8N) so apologies for length and if this has been covered.
I spent hours pouring over forums and have not found a clear answer.

The Kubota Front Loader Operator's Manual for LA555/LA805/LA1055 clearly shows 3 corner positions for the loader valve lever (pg. 12):

a) down & roll back
b) down & dump
c) up & dump

Curiously, there is no "up and roll back" corner (lower-left stick position).

This is especially interesting as on the previous page (pg. 11) the manual states "rollback and lifting will increase efficiency" - which makes sense.

So a brand new Grand L60 can't do this (I'm specifically curious about L4060/LA805)?

I do not mean lifting while keeping bucket level.
I do not mean lowering while keeping bucket level.
It's clear the L4060/LA805 can do that.

If somebody can comment that would be appreciated. If possible please avoid the term "curl" unless explained, as not everybody defines that the same as I've read - leading to confusion.

Thank you.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I have no direct knowledge of the hydraulic system on an LA805, but I can't imagine that you can't raise the boom and roll the bucket back at the same time, as that is the most basic function used on almost any loader.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Kubota tractors use an Open Center hydraulic system unlike true backhoes and more commercial equipment which are closed center.

In simple terms the difference is insignificant for you.

On a closed center system you can do two or more hydraulic actions at the same time such as lowering backhoe stabilizers while moving the hoe. The pump is a variable volume type and can adjust the volume of flow from zero to full flow. If no action is being called for there is no flow.

With an open center system fluid is flowing constantly at low pressure and moving a valve directs the flow into a cylinder. The pump is a constant volume type. As the demand for action occurs the pump ramps up the pressure.

This implies that you do one action and then a subsequent one.

In reality, by feathering the joystick between two different actions you can accomplish both. You can raise the loader arms while actioning the bucket.

Dave

Cobra514

Jan 1, 2020
Michigan
Appreciate the responses so far. As in other posts on the topic, the replies sort of conflict. Anybody out there own an L3560/4060/4760 that can confirm one way or the other? Is "feathering" the only option?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
I have a L2501 so can***8217;t speak directly to your loader. Based on my ops manual under the image of possible positions (lower left is blank) it states just below the image...

NOTE: When the lever is at each corner position marked by asterisk (*) or lower left, boom and bucket cylinders work at the same time. However, the lower left position (Raise & Roll back) is not recommended for scooping because of insufficient lift force.

Oops, loader is L525

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I remember being mystified when I first got this loader, but more because the loader on my 8n had two separate levers, one for up down and the other for roll back and dump. There is one corner that doesn't go diagonally, but it has been so long since I actually thought about it because it works seamlessly in practice I don't remember which one. I'll look the next time I am out in the barn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Reason for eliminating that feature is product safety, slows / semi eliminates the ability for people to be able to dump material over the back of the bucket, when lifting, onto their hoods. ;)

Cobra514

Jan 1, 2020
Michigan
Now I'm really curious!

If they make a point of advertising this feature, it must be very desired and must actually exist, no?

On the Kubota website:
"Ease of Use - With plenty of lift capacity, simultaneous lift and curl functions and a standard 2-lever quick coupler, the Kubota LA555, LA805 and LA1055 front loaders make it easy to complete your task with speed and ease"

(bold added for emphasis by me)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My tractor is a peanut - BX2360 with LA243 FEL.

It doesn't have the quadrant graphic of functions, so I can't see if the lower left is not an option. It's probably in the Ops. Manual....

But after hoggin' a lot of stuff over the years, the only time I recall a restriction for lift/curl was when the load was heavy.

Like pushing into a stone pile and curling/pulling up the bucket full.

With a BX, you don't push in too hard, but more lift/curl to fill the bucket. Then, it will do one or the other. It's just a second or two, but it's there.

Never noticed an issue for a lighter load.

No clue if that can be extrapolated to a much bigger loader (LA805), but it's apparent on mine, but honestly not an issue at all.

Last edited:

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
Kubota states in their user manual the following...

When the lever is a each corner position marked by an asterick (refering to the decal pasted on the loader), boom and bucket cylinders work at the same time. However, the lower left position (Raise & Roll back) is not recommended for scooping because of insufficient lift force.

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Appreciate the responses so far. As in other posts on the topic, the replies sort of conflict. Anybody out there own an L3560/4060/4760 that can confirm one way or the other? Is "feathering" the only option?

Thanks.
Hey Cobra, I have an L4060 with the LA805. Yes, you can lift and roll back simultaneously. And yes NIW, if done in a hurry, it will result in part of the load ending up on your hood. If you're still unsure, stop by the dealer and ask to try it.... the loader functions, not dropping the load onto the hood :rolleyes:

As an aside, the one thing I have noticed is that you can't use the third function valves and lift at the same time.

Cobra514

Jan 1, 2020
Michigan
Hey Cobra, I have an L4060 with the LA805. Yes, you can lift and roll back simultaneously. And yes NIW, if done in a hurry, it will result in part of the load ending up on your hood. If you're still unsure, stop by the dealer and ask to try it.... the loader functions, not dropping the load onto the hood :rolleyes:

As an aside, the one thing I have noticed is that you can't use the third function valves and lift at the same time.

Well that's very promising. As a couple have noted it just seems that capacity is limited. I can see that from a physics standpoint. Rollback adds to the loader arms effective "load"/downward force. It's the only corner where loader and bucket forces are both conspiring against loader capacity. Maybe not worth it to overdesign the whole frame/loader/hydraulic system just for one simultaneous function (even if highly desired). Especially considering it can be worked around (by alternating between the two).

I would still like to have the capability for lighter organic material or partial buckets of gravel/sand.

@Hue, would you say the lower corner sweet spot is very small or is simultaneous function very accessible (like the other 3 corners)?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is if they put the third function valve on the head end of the loader valve, if it's on the back end it should work normally. ;)

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
If I understand your question correctly, yes it will. I have a Grand L6060 with the 1055 loader. I use the lift and roll back feature often when loading the bucket from a dirt pile. I drive into the pile while lifting and rolling the bucket back to fill it. I have also done the same when using a chain attached to the bucket. Lifting and rolling back at the same time. I assumed most all tractors did this. All of mine have, New holland, John Deere and Now Kubota.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is late to the game, but I finally remembered to take a picture of the loader on my BX. Same as the larger model. Again, hasn’t been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hue

Equipment
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
@Hue, would you say the lower corner sweet spot is very small or is simultaneous function very accessible (like the other 3 corners)?[/QUOTE]

I find it easy to use, like the other 3 corners.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Damn it

It is cold outside and now I GOTTA go look..

I know I use that function when scooping snow, but I am not sure I do both at the same time now.. One of those things you do until somebody asks you to think about it

edit: Yep it is blocked off hmmm never really noticed it before makes sense for safety
I never really thought about it in practice, but I guess there is a hesitation in the actions

Last edited:

Hue

Equipment
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
@Hue, would you say the lower corner sweet spot is very small or is simultaneous function very accessible (like the other 3 corners)?[/QUOTE]

:eek: so, the lift and curl works with nothing in the bucket. I tried it with a full load of snow and it would not lift and curl simultaneously. Sorry about the misinformation. Hope you see this message.