How to deal with Wasps and Hornets

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
So I’m mowing a field and all of a sudden I’ve got hornets on the tractor hood and then they land on the steering wheel. Only 3 of them, but now I can’t steer. I had just backed into some trees a few minutes earlier. I suspect I bumped a nest but can’t see it.

This field is being mowed as a job, so I need to get it done. What should I do? For now I’m away from that area...shut the tractor off and retreated, sitting in my truck. The hornets didn’t seem overly aggressive. I’m thinking running to the store and getting RAID and hitting any of them on my tractor.

Thoughts?

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Re: How to deal with bees

Get a bee-keeper's suit. I dunno how nasty the hornets are in your part of the woods, but if they worry you enough that you need the safety of your truck, I doubt that Raid will do the trick.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ

Plus 'a friend' reckons those suits look pretty sexy on the right body, so it could be multipurpose addition to your wardrobe of amusement devices :rolleyes:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

My solution was to have a cab.

Since you don't have a cab, the next solution is to avoid the area where the hornets are.

Since you have to work in the area where the hornets area, that leads to either killing the nest or to the option the others have suggested, buying protective clothing.

I have had the best luck with eradicating nest at night verses facing them during the daylight hours.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA

first thing in morning most will be inside except the guards.
find the entrance, [ don't do much good to spray the back side].
arm up with heavy clothes & head nets and a can of wasp spray in both hands.
start shooting from as close as you can get without alarming guards.
don't stop till both cans are empty, aim right at the entrance point.
worked for me but, you are on your own if you try this, could get you stung, multiple times!!!!!!!

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa

crc brakcleen spray can at auto zone is the best and fastest killer. I buy that stuff by the case in the spring, wife hates bumblebees.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

Now first off are they BEEs or GROUND BEEs ie YELLOW JACKETS, Hornets or wasps,, you need to know these things. Yes there are differences between each. Ground dwellers are fairly easy to deal with. You need to be stealthy though for any of them, Find the entrance in the ground and mark it, then get a beer bottle, empty of course, fill with gasoline and stuff it in the hole so the gas runs out then walk away, do not light it just let it soak in. The vapors replace the oxygen and kill them,, remove the bottle before you mow again.

NOW IF THEY BE HONEY BEEs walk away and leave them be, right now there is a lot of die off of honey bees in the US due to parasites and disease, and the AG sector is scrambling to figure it out. SO if it is honey bees then odds are they have developed a resist and to said issues and need to be left alone to breed.

Wasps and hornet nests are a little more interesting. Again be sneaky and look around the brush from head high on up, they will be many time hidden in the leaves so watch where you go. Again in the dusk you can spray them heavy and try to shoot the spray in the entrance to the nest.

However unless any of these are an issue it is best to leave them alone as each one has a niche to fill in nature keeping other little nastys away from your crops and garden and pollinating your plants.

So end this mornings gospel according to Saint Skeets :D

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA

While bush hogging, the ROPs knocked a hornets nest loose and it landed on the bush hog. They owned that tractor for a while. PB blaster recovered my honor.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD

My thoughts are that with only 3 hornets on the tractor, and not overly aggressive you didn't actually disturb their nest. The next pass or few feet could be a different story.
For both above and below ground nests I generally use a fine dust with diatomaceous earth and a pesticide mixed in. I puff the nest and it does not bother the hornets for the first 30 seconds or so, which allows me to walk away. As mentioned, best to go after them at night or very early.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH

Thanks guys. By the time I retreated from the tractor, there were several hornets up in the canopy of the tractor, three on the steering wheel, one on the instrument cluster, and a couple more on the hood. They were starting to increase fairly quickly in number; I was only wearing a t-shirt, and with three on the steering wheel there was no way I could operate the tractor. My understanding of white-striped hornets is that they are the most aggressive of the wasp family and sting with very little provocation, so my inclination was not to swat them away. I also don't like bees landing on me. My understanding also is that if you kill a wasp by smacking it, the pheromones in the abdomen release an alarm signal scent, and if within range of the hive, you can get swarmed.

In the end, I drove away from the site, bought a can of wasp spray, returned, and found only a couple buzzing around the canopy. I waited until they cleared, and now wearing gloves proceeded to start the tractor and move to another area. In moving, one landed on the loader arm and I did spray that one. Once moved away, I didn't have another problem. Further, I mowed again yesterday in that original area, with my employee on a second tractor, and neither of us encountered bees. I think I disturbed them in some way the day before.

Last fall, I had a problem with yellow jackets being overly aggressive. Probably 5-10 of them, and they would land on me and the tractor. I moved well away (400 feet) and they continued to harass me. I ended up leaving the job site that day, and on a cooler day I returned and they weren't around. I understand yellow jackets that are male die off in the fall at the first major frost, and are particularly aggressive during this time, looking for food. I've also read they are attracted to bright, warm colors such as orange and yellow. Perhaps an orange tractor is a bee magnet, I dunno.

I have contemplated a beekeeper's suit, but it would be awfully warm in the summer. Better than being stung I guess.

When I bought my MX, I strongly contemplated a Grand L series with a cab but since I operate on steep side hills I was paranoid the cab would raise the COG enough to be an issue, so I went with another open platform. Sometimes I regret that.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses and now all that's left at this particular job site is trimming fencelines and pond shores. Should be good.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Had a nest of jackets in the ground by the barn. They are nasty. Took my gas powered push mower, started it (with a full tank of gas) and parked it over the entrance and let it run until it ran out of gas. It 'whipped, chopped and pureed them for me.

Not too bad this year and I agree, spray brake cleaner drops them right now (bumblebees and wasps / hornets). Instant death and it's cheaper than Raid.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH

I hadn't heard of the brake cleaner method. Bumble bees don't bother me in the least - they aren't aggressive and tend to put up with a fair amount of disturbance before they might sting you. And they are pollinators.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I hadn't heard of the brake cleaner method. Bumble bees don't bother me in the least - they aren't aggressive and tend to put up with a fair amount of disturbance before they might sting you. And they are pollinators.
Wood boring bumble bees have a sub division in the rafters of my equipment shed, I don't bother them but I find it interesting how they bore nice round holes... They are clumsy and it's also amazing they can fly as big as they are and the small wingspan.

Barn swallows and bumble's love the shed. The barn swallows keep the skeeters in control. Bumble's well, don't know if they do anything beneficial other than pollinate. My alfalfa field is right behind the shed so they don't have to go very far...

Don't like yellow jackets, wasps or mud dobbers. Brake clean them all.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN

I have use foaming engine degreaser for when they are in flight. It's hard to hit them directly with brake cleaner, but the degreaser is a broad spray and when it hits them it foams, they can't fly with foam and drop to the ground where my footwear does the rest. If they are nicely sitting in/on the hive, brake cleaner is great.
For the carpenter bees, a tennis racket makes for a strangely satisfying "thud".

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Pressure washer. Paper wasps are the worst and for some reason they go for the back of your neck. Ground hornets, AKA meat bees, are bad too if you step on the nest. My elbow still remembers where they got my last year.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

crc brakcleen spray can at auto zone is the best and fastest killer. I buy that stuff by the case in the spring, wife hates bumblebees.
Try using isopropyl or rubbing alcohol as an alternative bee/wasp killer spray. Get at least 70%. it’s cheap cheap and less nasty to you than the stuff in brake cleaner and nerve agent insecticides. Put it in a dollar store sprayer. It will kill wasps and bees instantly and they fall out of the air when they get sprayed.

On the negative side it’s very flammable. Avoid breathing in the mist and getting it on your skin.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Those wood bees bore a nice round hole, but then they go horizontal into the wood. They can damage wood similar to termites because they can travel long distance inside the wood.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
mikester,, alcohol,,, not on these wasps around here!! I had never tried that but I noticed a nest in one of my carports. Got some 90 percent alcohol and put in the spray bottle, let them have it. Did not kill a single one. Came back 2 hours later and hit them with the crc brakeclean,,, all dead in 3 seconds.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Must try the Brakleen trick, thanks. We have a lot of paper wasps here in the summer, slow to anger but very unpleasant sting. Normally spray petrol at them which it pretty quick (also good for putting down yellow-jacket wasp nests) but anything that works quicker is worth trying.

As an aside: I know of 2 people who got badly stung when going to tend beehives. In each case the bees attacked whereas they were normally pretty docile. In both cases the people had been drinking beer or spirits mix. So I wonder the bees - or potentially other stinging critters - are attracted to alcohol. Anyone else hear of something similar? If so maybe the moral of the story is don't rely on dutch courage before going out to dispose of wasp/hornet nests :)

I'm not saying spraying the critters with alcohol doesn't work, I've never tried it.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Many years ago repairing rooftop commercial air conditioning units there would often be hives in the equipment. We figured out that hitting them with liquid Freon froze them good. Nowadays that is unlawful venting, but being trapped on a roof leaves few choices.