L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county
Because I can get a complete gas engine within 150 miles and cannot find a diesel within 500+ miles.
The cost for the gas is about 1/3 or less that of a diesel. The diesels I found are rebuilt and in the $1.5 - $2k. range plus shipping half way across the country. If you can come up with some thing better I would sure be interested.

I believe the question was will a WG750 drop in a B7100 HST?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The only reason low-displacement engines work in tractors is that diesels have twice the torque of a gas motor. No getting around that. And, even if you could kluge the motor in, the gearbox is set up for low speed torque and not high RPM that a gas motor needs.

If you want a parade queen, go for it.

If you want a working tractor, spend the money and do it right or you'll end up wasting a whole bunch of money and having zero re-sale.

Ray

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county
I know this doesn't answer your question about the gas engine but this link might help with a diesel engine or maybe a block.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7897015
The only reason low-displacement engines work in tractors is that diesels have twice the torque of a gas motor. No getting around that. And, even if you could kluge the motor in, the gearbox is set up for low speed torque and not high RPM that a gas motor needs.

If you want a working tractor, spend the money and do it right or you'll end up wasting a whole bunch of money and having zero re-sale.

Ray
Your line of thinking OK, BUT - what do I have now as far as resale or trade in? A tractor with a bad engine worth basically $0. I don't think the HST has a "gear box" per say. Guess I could haul it 100+ miles from home and put it on auction and shaft some poor sole but not made that way.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you put a limit on how far you are going to look for an engine you are lowering the possibility of getting your tractor operational.

If you get to the point of hauling it 100 miles to sell it, you might post here on the BUY SELL-TRADE page. Might be parts someone here would be interested in, and save you a trip.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Your line of thinking OK, BUT - what do I have now as far as resale or trade in? A tractor with a bad engine worth basically $0. I don't think the HST has a "gear box" per say. Guess I could haul it 100+ miles from home and put it on auction and shaft some poor sole but not made that way.

Actually, parting out a tractor can be pretty lucrative ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county

Ray
Yea, just spend the money. Easy enough to say when it is not your money isn't it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea, just spend the money. Easy enough to say when it is not your money isn't it?
Chieffan,
That was RUDE! :mad:
Please take down the overly critical / attack responses a couple of notches or I will have to just delete your posts. :(

All CCR was saying is that you would be diminishing your tractors value and performance to the point of uselessness!

I happen to agree, 100%
There was never a B7100 or any model similar that had a gas engine, the reason for that is they don't work!
To get anywhere near the performance out of a gas motor for that tractor you would need to be in the 50+ HP range, and that's just plain impractical! ;)

No one here is trying to spend your money, just trying to save you a lot down the line!

I do 100% of what I do with tractors and equipment, on a tight budget, but I do know when not doing things right can bite you in the back side!

Last edited:

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county
Is the current Diesel engine behind repair?
Strongly suspect it is. PO said it leaked coolant into the oil over a winter. It had set for 2+ years when I got it, knowing the leak situation and paid accordingly. When I drained the oil there was about a cup or less of coolant that came out first. Radiator had been drained after PO found the water in the oil. Suspect an internal crack in the block. Trying to seal it up with K-Seal a LIQUID type coolant sealer. I know, no body agrees to doing that but what did I have to start with other than a bad block. Have not run it a lot or worked it since sealer has been added. Just run it around, up the road 1/2 mile and back a few times. Coolant level stay at the bottom of the neck. No evidence of coolant in the oil. I have changed it twice just in case. Trying to locate a source for an engine in case I do need one. Ideally would be a good long block.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I don't know if the motor is a sleeved engine or not. If it is, you might find a worn out motor, strip it down to the block, swap in your sleeves, pistons, crank, etc. You're still on original everything but a 'new' block.