Draw Bar Trailer Hitch

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Looking for Ideas for a draw bar trailer hitch. Bought a draw bar at tractor supply and a 3/4" X 2" trailer ball. Wondering if I can fashion a turn buckle or something to keep the draw bar from rotating?

Did a search, but could find anything.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
A search of the Internet does show ton of ideas. For example

DRAWBAR_A-FRAME.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg

But with all that work might as well get a Harbor Freight or similar inexpensive Quick Hitch and add a trailer coupler to it. Get two bangs for the buck that way. They sell them like this as well.

71wREY-3WiL._SY355_.jpg

Here's some wise words on using 3pt for Trailering

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=121320&postcount=12

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking for Ideas for a draw bar trailer hitch. Bought a draw bar at tractor supply and a 3/4" X 2" trailer ball. Wondering if I can fashion a turn buckle or something to keep the draw bar from rotating?

Did a search, but could find anything.

All of the ideas that coach sent out are excellent - do be careful with a 3 point hitch setup - remember you have full control up and down, however when driving up a grade and the weight is loaded on top the trailer axle or behind, the tongue of the 3 point will rise up, this can scare the crap out of you!!! BTDT!

There is nothing like have the ability to back up to a trailer - pull on the level, pop the ball in the cup and move the trailer around! Another little tidbit - ALWAYS place at least one of the safety chains from trailer TO the tractor tow bar.....again, if the ball cup is left unlocked and the trailer hits a bump.....

well I have seen a grown man jump OFF the tractor and run after the trailer that is still moving - no longer hooked the 3 point....... ok - it wasnt me this time.......but could be a sad thing when that trailer scoots into your wifes car!:D:eek::)

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Tractor supply sells a "drawbar lock" that will stop it from rotating. The others have good ideas also.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Another tidbit. When pulling a trailer with your tractor always use 4 wheel drive (if available) to help with breaking.

Flienlow, did you finish your hillside project? Any pictures?

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Another tidbit. When pulling a trailer with your tractor always use 4 wheel drive (if available) to help with breaking.

Flienlow, did you finish your hillside project? Any pictures?
4x4 FOR SURE!!!

Ahhh...The hillside....Its a wicked mistress. I have buried the tractor 2 times in my attempt at it. (and I do mean buried.) As you know the hillside is very steep. Having the backhoe saves me as I can use it to get pull myself back up with chains and straps ect, But it also hurts because it makes the tractor longer. I have made it 1/4 of the way down, but need to import gravel and also make the turns wider. Weather in our area is not cooperating either thus saving for the spring.
Since that posting I have also been slammed with a duplex remodel and other rental house issues as well.
Lately I have installed a french drain around the house and am finishing up a project with another french drain and parking pad for our boat long the garage.
I have also changed my tune about my BX25, and have grown quite fond of it now (I no longer have stalling/restarting issues.) For some reason it seems to be doing all the things I needed it to. -I'm sure it not the operator :p

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I'm just glad you're still looking down the daisies, not up!!!! No need to be in a hurry. Be safe.

To keep your drawbar from rotating you can take a piece of 1/4" (or 3/8) by 2" wide to make a strap (clamp). Bolt one end through one of the holes in the drawbar at the outside end (by the pin). Let the other end reach over to and under the 3pt. arms. Use a "U" clamp to anchor it.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia

I bought this for my bx2350. I have a small 8' utility trailer I use for brush. This will do nicely. Thought about making some concrete weight form I can "hang" from this for country weight when using the loader. Back under form, lift 3 point and instant weight.

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I'm just glad you're still looking down the daisies, not up!!!! No need to be in a hurry. Be safe.

To keep your drawbar from rotating you can take a piece of 1/4" (or 3/8) by 2" wide to make a strap (clamp). Bolt one end through one of the holes in the drawbar at the outside end (by the pin). Let the other end reach over to and under the 3pt. arms. Use a "U" clamp to anchor it.
Like this from post #2?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That will keep it from turning !

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
A search of the Internet does show ton of ideas. For example

View attachment 20864
View attachment 20865

But with all that work might as well get a Harbor Freight or similar inexpensive Quick Hitch and add a trailer coupler to it. Get two bangs for the buck that way. They sell them like this as well.

View attachment 20866

Here's some wise words on using 3pt for Trailering

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=121320&postcount=12

So please allow me to ask a dumb question. Why do I need a draw bar, when what I really need is a hitch. After further review, it seems that if I were to the return the draw bar, and ball then simply by the 3pt hitch off amazon, I could use the hitch for anything that a draw bar would do (pulling, yarding, general abuse) as well as use it to move my trailers around?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So please allow me to ask a dumb question. Why do I need a draw bar?
Dumb question answer, you don't! :p

Yes just return the old school draw bar and buy a 3 point receiver hitch! ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
"Why do I need a draw bar, when what I really need is a hitch."

You don't need a draw bar to do what you just described.

You got all the answers posted because you stated you purchased a draw bar and a ball and wanted to keep the draw bar from rotating.

Now that your thinking has cleared up, you can return the two pieces and buy a 3pt hitch and get done what you described.:D

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
So please allow me to ask a dumb question. Why do I need a draw bar, when what I really need is a hitch. After further review, it seems that if I were to the return the draw bar, and ball then simply by the 3pt hitch off amazon, I could use the hitch for anything that a draw bar would do (pulling, yarding, general abuse) as well as use it to move my trailers around?
I use a 3pt hitch, makes hooking up a breeze, don't have to get off the seat.

I thought I read you were returning the drawbar and buying a hitch that mounts to the tractor and not the 3pt.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I made a 3 point hitch and welded two extra 2x2 recievers. Slide in 2 5 foot square tubes and now i have forks. Works slick. As mentioned and i have done it, one safety chain minimum. Had my empty car hauler get away on me more than once.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Maybe I missed something, but the draw bar is better suited for heavier loads - right? My understanding has been that the draw bar disburses the weigh of the towed item below the tractor's center of gravity, making it more stable. And because of this there is less opportunity for the tractor to spin on rear axle and flip.

CORRECTION - just reread string and I see you mean drawbar for the piece you purchased. Sorry, I was thinking drawbar that extends from rear of tractor. Now back to regularly scheduled programming.........

Last edited by a moderator:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Dalroo, this is what you're thinking...and you're correct. It's actually called a "swinging" drawbar. The one in this link is 1 3/8" thick and 2 1/2" wide and bolts up under the tractor and can swing to either side and be locked in place if needed. Designed to work as you describe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drawbar-Cas...638632?hash=item1c615e0fa8:g:Ea0AAOSwezVWvcXQ

This is the one discussed in this thread. It's actually called a "cross" drawbar.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-cross-drawbar-category-1-3-4-in-dia?cm_vc=-10005

So, I guess if it's referred to as a drawbar, it can very well be either one.

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
The drawbar with pins on the ends and a row of holes on the rest was used for pulling implements with a clevis hitch. It allowed off-center positioning for wheel alignment, or use of a swinging drawbar. It was to let your tractor and implements work the same as older tractors before 3-pt hitches.

3-pt with swinging drawbar.

Similar rigid, non-lifting drawbars were common on tractors before 3-pt hitches. They also allowed for a swinging drawbar that could be pinned in one place, offset or centered.

Rigid, with swinging drawbar.

Bruce

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
I know you said "Draw bar"... but I put a $17 bumper mount from Harbor Freight on my tractor. If you use the 20% coupon... it's even cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-capacity-step-bumper-receiver-67159.html

On the BX there is a plate on the back of the frame. SO... take it off... drill some new holes in the hitch, and bolt it down.

It's not as easy as a 3 point... but it's rock solid. Heck... I used it to mount up my bagger conversion, and I drag my trailers around my house without the worry of things twisting.

I can get a better picture later.