What would you replace? Trans Gears

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
I have my transmission apart to repair a reverse problem.
I have an obvious problem with the main shaft,
I am wondering if I could get opinions on the reverse gear and the 45 / 56 gear.
The reverse gear is not too expensive, however the larger 45 / 56 gear
runs about $200.00 and I am torn if it is bad enough to replace at this time.
The photo shows the worse part and it is like that only about 2/3 of the diameter, (if that much).

Also I do not know what function it serves ie; what gear it provides to the drive train?

Thanks,

Attachments

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I'm a long way from a expert
But,concider the time and effort you have into getting this far,replace now and you should never have to do this again.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This too might be a stupid idea......ask my wife she'll tell you!.....
anywho --- can the gear in pict #1 be turned around 180 degrees and re-used? Or will that throw everything out of whack alignment wise?
If not - I am with AL M ......get er done with a new piece while you have it split

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The faces actually look pretty good, the edges are what appear to be worn.

So, what you've lost here is some power transmission ability. Looks like someone has had fun grinding the gears (lack of a proper operating clutch). You could continue to run with the gear you have, it would likely hold up to whatever a well used engine could dish out, but as others have stated, you're in there and if you can afford it, you can put in the new gear.

If you are strapped for money, I would take a file and clean up things a little bit but put it back into service, making sure that clutch works!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Mr. Shaun makes a lot of sense. The main parts of the gears are fine. I'd clean thins up and run with it and remember why it looks that way when shifting gears.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally would bite the bullet and replace the gears! ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I look at a situation like this as:, Would I separate this tractor down to the point I need to to replace this gear if someone paid me $200 (if that's the gear replacement cost, or whatever the cost is).

And yes, it may last just like it is forever...but what if it doesn't?

If I wouldn't mind doing the job for that cost, I might just button it up and be fine with it that way. If not, I replace it now.

Usually makes the decision pretty easy!

Can you imagine separating a tractor and replacing the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing, but not replacing the pilot bushing because it's not totally wore out and cost $15?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
For me, if the parts were no longer available, I'd use that gear rather than scrap the tractor. But if you can get a new gear, I'd go that route. Cheap insurance against having to re-do the job later.

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Thanks for all the input, the general consensus, while that gear is serviceable most would swap it out while she is apart.
I did find that the person I am dealing with for transmission parts does in fact have two (OEM),
and to quote "It is discontinued and very difficult/impossible to find it again."

That there, along with all of your comments is probably enough to get me swayed to pull the pin on a new gear (keeping this one as a spare).

Splitting the tractor was not as big of a task as I was lead to believe before tackling it,
I do however have a well equipped shop, which helps. Having said that, I CAN think of better ways to spend a day!

sitdwnandhngon

Equipment
B7100
Aug 25, 2015
NY, USA
Ever hear of the phrase "Fix what you can, while you can"

The thing is apart, fix everything you can find broken or worn right now, and it will give you both peace of mind, and likely way more hours of up time before something else happens.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
While I don't disagree with the consensus, if it were mine, I would get a 3" air grinder with a thin cutting blade and clean the lead in up on the teeth and shove it back in. Once the lead in is fixed it wouldn't happen again with me operating it. Even if I replaced the gear, someone else could make it look the same in an instant!

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Finally got replacement gears, Ordered them from Stavros Savva Co ltd. in Cypress (Greece)
http://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy/
even with the shipping considerably cheaper than any US supplier I contacted.
Tried Service Dept Vic through emails and PMs but did not hear from him, Hope he is OK?
Everything is OEM except for the main shaft and at dealer cost of apx. $1200.00,
and if they could even locate one! Taiwan is fine with me!

Side by side, what a difference, really chewed up.

Not going to do the reverse gear at this time, it is OK,
and can be gotten to without a tractor split.

Now to get back to the assembly process.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow, time to spread some butter & jam on that old shaft- it's toast!
Glad you could find the parts.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
You didn't put a pick up of the shaft the first time!
Back like new again.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Yes - the severe damage on the (edit) main shaft gears indicate the mating gear was moving axially, not being held in position. Were any snap rings missing when it was taken apart?

(edit) paragraph deleted - see post #21 on p. 3

Last edited:

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
You didn't put a pick up of the shaft the first time!
Back like new again.
Not sure of what you are trying to convey?

Yes - the severe damage on the pto shaft gears indicate the shaft was moving axially, not being held in position. Were any snap rings missing when it was taken apart?

I'd take a guess that at one time there was a pto shaft stuck on the splines and a hammer was used to free it. The inner-most snap ring popped off, allowing the shaft to have too much end-float, which gradually ate the gears.
No, all snap rings were in place, on all three shafts, the PTO shaft, Main shaft and Gear shaft. I just attributed the excessive wear from age 40+ years, and lack of skill in the previous operators?

Anything specific I should check before the complete re-assembly?
My first tractor transmission tear down!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
rbargeron,
I think your mistaken, That's not the PTO output shaft that he's showing, it's the main shaft. ;)

billrigsby,
The wear on the gears is from the shiftier being engaged while the tractor was moving! There is no syncro's on that gear set so stop completely before shifting.

I also question your not changing the Reverse gear?
Why not change it now, if it's damaged you could very possibly damage the main shaft again running a bad gear on it.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yup, I'm with NIWolfman on that too. If you're changing, change it all. The gears will have to run in and reface each other in doing so. That means the new gears will just get all beat up by an old one which is already worn both on the faces and edges.

Wolfman also has it right for the cause, stop to shift. Double clutch is also not a bad idea as it lets the shafts relax before shifting to a new gear. It's not entirely necessary but I've found it 'catches' less.

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
The gears will have to run in and reface each other in doing so. That means the new gears will just get all beat up by an old one which is already worn both on the faces and edges.
I was not thinking of that aspect, it was more of a $$$ vs Time,
and since that gear is easily changed with out a split, that was my thought.
I was just going to "clean-up" the reverse gear with a file and Emory cloth.
I guess since I do not need a tractor in the midst of Winter,
I do not have to rush to get her buttoned back up,
funds are tight right now, right after Xmas and all, but probably a good idea.

Wolfman also has it right for the cause, stop to shift.
New to tractors, but that was obvious to me!, Apparently not to the previous owner(s),
During load up I caught him shifting/grinding whilst moving,
"Woah, slow down slick-mo", then he calmed down.