M9000 fuel delivery problems

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
Hi! I'm new to kubota tractors and the site. Just purchased a used m9000 with 1500 hours about a month ago. It has left me stranded in the field twice already, I'm stumped. The first time it would idle but had no throttle, and eventually sputtered out and died. So we changed the fuel filter and bled the lines and still no start. After bleeding the lines several times it eventually started and ran like new for about 30 min. then would die again. This happened about 3 times. Finally had it running good and ran for about a week, then same thing all over again while hauling out hay. Also the fuel gauge is not working, and I just replaced the sending unit. This kubota is not off to a good start. Any suggestions are appreciated. There is no smoke from the exhaust while cranking, and fuel solenoid is operating properly

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check the cap for proper venting, check all fuel lines including the lage tank cross over line.
Start at the tank and verify by removing hoses and filters and such that you get good constant fuel flow all the way to the Injection pump.

To get into it any deeper I need to know the exact model, this is one that different models have different equipment.

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
It's a 2003 m9000 with cab and 4wd. I've tried blowing out the vent hoses and starting with fuel cap off. I was wondering if the lift pump could be going out, is there a way to test the pump?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there a way to test the pump?
Yep, just pull the out line off and crank it should push fuel out, if it want to free flow out just add a section of hose to get it above the tanks. ;)

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
Thanks wolfman. Is this a common issue with these tractors? Are the lift pumps pretty common to replace?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Kabo, have you found both vent lines? The fuel feeds to the engine from the right side tank which also is where the sending unit is. If the vent lines are stopped up the fuel will just barely trickle from the left side which would cause it to run out of fuel. I've had 2 9000's and the vent lines are a common problem mostly caused by dirt dobbers. I normally run a piece of wire up in them and break the crud loose and them blow a small amount of air in the tank which will blow the crap out of the line. I do it that way so the dirt doesn't get blown into the tank. Each tank has it's own vent. On my 04 model the lines are hooked to the rear hood support framing. Make sure both lines are clean and let us know what it does.

I understand your frustration with the new to you Orange but from my experience the M9000 is a trouble free tractor. I have had nothing but great service from mine.

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
Thanks bulldog, I have not blown out the left side tank hose, maybe that could be why the new sending unit isn't working either maybe? May not be enough flow to the right side tank to register. I'll give it a try tomorrow and post the results

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum. Sorry that your first orange tractor is giving you problems. I am sure that once that this is cleared you'll have a lot more good days and years ahead.

Kabo

Jan 28, 2015
Ky
I disconnected the vent hose from the left side tank and blew a bunch of dirt and mud dobbers out. Bled the injector lines and now it's purring like a kitten. And the fuel gauge is working now, guess the line being clogged stopped the fuel flow. Funny how little things like that can shut a machine down. Hopefully this was the fix all solution. Thanks for the help guys

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Glad you got it fixed. From my own experience this is something that you need to check on every now and then. One sure sign is of trouble is you'll fill it up with fuel and the left tank will be full to the neck but the gauge will only show you have a partial fill. Soon as this happens run you a small piece of wire up the vent and one or the other will have the start of a dobber nest. Break it loose and everything will work as it should. Hope this helps and happy tractoring.