3rd Function Button

MaineTree

Equipment
B8200
Oct 25, 2019
Bowdoin
www.foresttoshore.com
Hello,

I purchased a grapple this week and planned to use it today. When I went to use it I found the wire to the button which controls the 3rd function entirely disconnected from the button... This grapple is my first implement requiring the use of the 3rd function button...

The machine has 15 hours on it and I suspect still under warrantee as it came new when I purchased the tractor last November.

Has anyone else had this problem? I tried ‘plugging’ it back in but nothing at all.?

Any thoughts...?

Thank You!

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Is this a dealer installed 3rd function? If so, does neither button do anything? Should hear the solenoid clock when you push the buttons even with engine off. If you don’t hear it with either button, the fuse probably blew.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
If the wire was not attached (not sure what the end of the non-attached wire looks like?), it could have touched a ground and popped the fuse. Plugging it back in, it still won’t work. If fuse is good, listen for the clicking of the solenoid when you press the buttons (engine off so you can hear). If no click, you will need a voltmeter to make sure there is power to the buttons and ultimately the solenoid.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The wire literally was not attached to the 3rd function selection button. And did not work when I plugged the wire back in...
Is it more than one wire? It should be at least a pair of wires.

countrypapa

Equipment
BX25
Sep 14, 2015
Mays Landing,NJ,USA
I had the same problem with my new bx23s with dealer installed grapple 40 hours on unit. Picked up a load of brush and grapple wouldn't open. Could not hear solenoids clicking so I figured I had an electrical problem like a blown fuse so I wanted to find out why the fuse blew. After tracing the wire back from the solenoid thru all parts of the tractor I found where the harness with 4 wires in it had been rubbing on something and wore thru the harness and the wires creating a short thus blowing a fuse. After cleaning up the mess I got the manual out to replace the fuse and it was fuse #3 in the fuse box. pulled the fuse out and it was good but grapple still didn't work.Traced out the harness again looking for a possible broken wire still no luck. After a cup of coffee got looking around I saw where the dealer ran his own hot wire right off the battery with its own fuse,not using the fuse in the fuse box.replaced the fuse works great. Did not find where it was rubbing on,just a quick fix so I could dump the brush and get it in the garage where it is a lot warmer to give it a good lookover.