Bx tires on ice

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Depends on what you've got now: loaded tires for weight, studs in tires, turf tires. Or bite the bullet and find a type of chain you can live with. Some studs can be improvised and installed yourself. If slipping puts you in danger, ie sliding off a cliff, puts the effort and aggravation into perspective.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What is the best option for better grip while drivig on ice and packed snow during snow blowing? I hate chains.
Like sheepfarmer said, depends on what you have now...

And why do you hate chains?

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Alternate to chains is a lot of time and sand/salt.

After the first winter with by BX I bought chains, but didn't put them on. Until that one storm that went rain to snow and left ice sheet under the snow. Downhill no problem. Uphill running starts from the road with snowblower. Clear a little, sand it, repeat. Finally got to top, put on chains and magic of traction.

Now I just put chains on with the blower and back blade.

Look at types of chains. BX with R4s can get basic chains that slip most of the way down between the cleats and still give traction when needed.

RyanG

Equipment
2019 Kubota BX2380, 60"mmm, FEL. 2018 JD X390, 54"mmm (for sale)
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Are you not happy with chains in general or is it installing etc? I know I'm not a fan since they seem to destroy everything on the pavement. But I've been looking into a set like this that might be a bit better to install as well as not hurt anything. (Note this might not be the right size just showing an example of what they look like)

Terra Grip Tire Chain

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been my personal experience that on ice or iced over hard packed snow, NOTHING grips better than chains or studded snow tires in the case of automotive applications.

Rubber and ice don't mix well in any sub freezing conditions.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have used https://koldkutter.com/ in a lot of applications. For ice they work great. If you use them a lot, they will wear down over time but they can be easily replaced/removed. We used them regularly on the skid steers. Not just good on ice, but really good on roots and wood too.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I can't get around without chains on my BX.

I've been able to make them work without spacers for 6 or 7 years.

Do I like them, no.

Do I like putting them on, no. (Like it better if done before it gets real cold)

But otherwise, my $4,000 front-mounted snow blower is useless...:)

Last edited:

WoodCarver75

Equipment
BX-25D, Bucket, Backhoe, tiller, snowbblower
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
Right now i have the loaded tires not the turf style, not sure what they are called, Industrial tires? I do also have my backhoe attached along with the snow blower on front.

For the chains I don't mind putting them on but I find the few times i have used chains the tires just spin on the ice. I will say i have only used the chain style where when the chains area laid out it looks like a ladder. I should mention when i used chains in the past it was on lawn tractors. Maybe the weight of my bx will make a difference.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Maybe the weight of my bx will make a difference.
Yeah - especially with the 'hoe on, it will be like night and day. Just keep them real tight, so they're not flopping around on the inside. Tight also keeps them from getting "lost" between the lugs of the tire.

There isn't much room between the tire and tractor. Many use spacers; I haven't used them so far. I am careful when installing.

You make cheese? Always wanted to try homemade mozzarella, maybe some cheddar...

Last edited:

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I have loaded R1’s with chains on my BX1860; so far so good. I think I’d be in much worse shape without the chains.

Mork7007

Equipment
BX25D
Mar 4, 2020
Nl, Canada
Attached is a picture of our driveway. It is on an approximate 15 degree slope and 300 ft long. During winter, it is generally covered with hard packed snow and ice as you see it here. Without chains on my BX25 I would not be able to maintain it or even clear it. I also have a rear mounted blower attached. Even with the rear chains, It is difficult to steer on ice. I will be adding wheel spacers and front chains for next winter. The chains are the only option for this scenario.

Attachments

Last edited: