Kodiak Rotary Cutter, Any brand cutter

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Why on earth do they use round headed bolts to secure the blades on a rotary cutter? I took a 4 inch grinder to the bolt head to make 2 flat spots so the pipe wrench could get a bite. I have pounded on the nuts with an impact and it will not come apart. Now I can not get the socket off. PB Blaster does not seam to help. Is there any problem with just cutting them off with a torch?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
A tool called a torque multiplier is what I use to take them on and off. Good practice is to replace the bolts and nuts each time the blades are replaced. If I remember right, the bolts are cut so that they do not rotate.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If they are carriage bolts there is a square protruding from the bottom of the head. It fits into a recess in the metal so it won't turn.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The ones on my cutter (Modern Ag) have a round head but the shank has a flat to stop rotation. The would probably be rounded off if they started out another shape.

Cutting them off will work. If the whole bolt is rotating with the nut you don’t have a choice.

A torque multiplier won’t help if the bolt is rotating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00bushhog06

Equipment
L3400DT/LA463, 3 bush hogs, 2 boxblades, tiller, 97 Ford F350 Dump, 18' trailer
Nov 26, 2019
OKATIE, SC
I have a Kodiak MD5 about 12 years old. As I remember, it has a single spline on the bolt that fits in a slot in the blade carrier to prevent rotation.
I've never had one spin. If you can not get to the nut to cut it off, you could drop the assembly off the gearbox shaft to easily access the problem.
Good luck with it

00bushhog06

Equipment
L3400DT/LA463, 3 bush hogs, 2 boxblades, tiller, 97 Ford F350 Dump, 18' trailer
Nov 26, 2019
OKATIE, SC
Just re read your original post and noticed you mentioned cutting the nut off with a torch. I would advise against doing that with the blade assembly on the machine because of the close proximity to the gearbox out put shaft. The shaft oil seal is very sensitive to heat and a serious oil leak could result

I've been using rotary cutters almost daily for 15 years. I have 3 so that I can always have at least one ready to go!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Why on earth do they use round headed bolts to secure the blades on a rotary cutter? I took a 4 inch grinder to the bolt head to make 2 flat spots so the pipe wrench could get a bite. I have pounded on the nuts with an impact and it will not come apart. Now I can not get the socket off. PB Blaster does not seam to help. Is there any problem with just cutting them off with a torch?
There are various types of bolts used to secure rough cutter blades to the blade carrier. All have some provision to prevent the bolts from turning.

I have never found blade bolts that I could not remove with a GOOD air impact wrench but you will need adequate air pressure, a 3/8"+ air hose that is not too long and NO EXTENSION. A six point impact socket is much preferred.

If you have stripped the "key," allowing the bolt(s) to turn you will likely need to torch yours out. No need to worry about damage to gearbox seals considering the mass involved and the distance. At this point, forget about the torque multiplier.

Yes, it is good practice to use new bolts each time the blades are R & R'ed, and a liberal application of anti seize will make the job much easier next time.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
No experience with your brand l have a Hardee tiger cub and they have left handed threads. So far I have been able to get the nuts off with a 3/4 impact wrench and the heads of the bolts seem to have a slight tapper that pulls up tight when the nuts are tight and the blade has a larger shoulder it swings on.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Mr Torch was the answer. New bolts do not spin. I guess the old bolts were worn out after 14 years.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
I have Woods mower and the bolts are LEFT HAND threads
I use the proper sized wrench with a 3 foot length of flattened conduit to fit over the other end of wrench. Another length of flattened conduit is put over end of blade it is rotated until it stops under the deck.
Bolts are greased before reinstalling and snugged tight.
So far this has worked for me.
David