Cleaning chaff off radiators

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I could be solving a problem that doesn't need to be solved, but I like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Flexible-Detachable-furniture-GoodVac/dp/B071YGBG5G

Both my L3560 and B2650 have other coolers in front of the radiator, and various other things in the way of accessing the front of the radiator. The back side has the fan blades in the way. So trying to blow grass clippings and seed heads off the front sides of these various grates has seemed counterproductive. Just blast some of it off and the rest would be forced deeper into the fins. If you blow from the back side of the radiator it will transfer the stuff to the back side of the fuel cooler or the ac cooler. Not to mention all over the rest of the tractor and my nice neat shop (NOT!).

So I have been vacuuming off what I could reach, but the space for a crevice tool is limited, and there is a lot behind the battery and other coolers that is not accessible. I tried to make an extension out of a cardboard paper towel tube, but it collapses too easy. Was at Lowes for something else and asked about flexible tubing, and someone suggested a LintLizard, and I found this online. It arrived yesterday, and it fits perfectly in the gap between the coolers and the bristles are soft enough so as not to bend the fins. I had already cleaned the screens and most off the radiator after the last time I mowed but it sucked up the stuff I couldn't reach. The whole tool is flexible so you can reach a lot of corners with it. I'll report back after the next time I mow as to whether it is faster.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I'm interested. About once a year I pull the radiator out for a good cleaning of chaff, fluff, dirt, and small seeds.

I do have an air wand but it is hard to get in there.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I made this up years ago. Blowgun, 1/4" copper, smash the open end. Cut a kerf in one side so the air blows out at 90 degrees. The soft copper can be bent slightly so it fits between the fan and the radiator.

Attachments

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm interested. About once a year I pull the radiator out for a good cleaning of chaff, fluff, dirt, and small seeds.

I do have an air wand but it is hard to get in there.
I use a length of semi flexible 3/16" nylon air line connected to a valve to blow out the rad from inside out. It isn't perfect but it gets into the corners and hard to reach spots better than a regular air gun and it's rigid enough not to whip around. If the tubing chosen is too flexible it's hard to control

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use a length of semi flexible 3/16" nylon air line connected to a valve to blow out the rad from inside out. It isn't perfect but it gets into the corners and hard to reach spots better than a regular air gun and it's rigid enough not to whip around. If the tubing chosen is too flexible it's hard to control
I use one of those extendable blow guns from Harbor Freight (at reduced pressure) $9.95 every day followed up by a pressure wash with the low pressure nozzle from the rad side out and then the air to are cooler and the ac evap.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well there are plenty of solutions that work well, which is the most convenient depends on your shop setup and personal preference. I like the flexible blower tube as it would be easier on the fins. On the other hand, I like the idea of vacuuming the chaff up and getting rid of it, and a vac is more convenient than the compressor and the air wand I have in my garage. I'll give it a long term trial and report back..

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Would be nice if Kubota offered a reverse blow fan option like JD has.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yea, then you could pack the inside full of chaff, because that solves everything. :p
That all depends on you cleaning regimen. I'd like to have one on my bailing tractor, not so much on the loader tractor. It's a PITA cleaning the cabin tractors numerous heat exchangers in front of the rad anyway.

I'm so attuned to cleaning them every day it is like a reflex action for me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
News to me. I did order a Kubota 'tweaker' for the 3 point yesterday. Price wise, not too bad.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I don't think I'd want a reverse fan without the side grills.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
That is precisely what will happen, they suck debris in and pack the rear side of the radiator.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
66B6F7F0-94A7-410E-BC2D-AB561CD6E77B.jpg

CAF358FA-FDF5-41CB-9C5E-6C824FAAA5D8.jpg Here are some pics of the vacuum attachment in action.

The arrow points to the brush getting down to the space at the bottom of the radiator. The other pic is of the small stuff trapped in the brush. On this tractor the removable screens trap the large pieces of debris, and what gets stuck in the radiator fins is small stuff.

For whatever reason I can't upload the view of the whole radiator direct from my phone.

Last edited: