PTO Noise while disengaging

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
Hi, PTO functions properly with no load.
Under load ( bush hog ) sounds like it does when you initially disengage PTO (ticking) .I have just replaced the PTO cable and it appears to be correctly tensioned.

Any Thoughts?

edit-----

So it seems its the overrunning clutch, which makes noise when the clutch is enganged at high rpm. It is making it now when releasing the clutch to initiate PTO. Has never done this before .

Thanks,
J

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model uses the one way clutch as the engagement clutch, if it was run with it not fully engaging in the past it will have rounded the engagement teeth.
If it keeps doing it you'll need to split the tractor and put a new one way clutch in it. ;)

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
It has just started and is continuous everytime I engage the PTO. What is involved with a new one way clutch.

I don't think it was ever run with it not fully engaged, is there a way to tell. Usually the the locking nuts on the PTO cable eventually loosen off and it won't engage at all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you do all you own work, it's not that hard, no special tools required and very little cost. ;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have done them in about 2 hours in the past.

It's not too bad. Remove both floorboards, linkages, hydraulic pipe, and brake rods-oh and drape the rear part of the wiring harness up over the front half of the tractor.... then split it, the one-way is staring you in the face once it's split. When it's apart, look real close at the edges of the clutch "dogs"...if rounded (it will be mostly obvious), replace BOTH (not just one half). Also look at the splines & make sure they aren't twisted. Once new parts arrive, slide the clutch half onto the splines without the spring and make sure it'll slide freely.