Using sea foam in a D750 engine.b7100d

rick sheltra

Equipment
B7100 4wd diesel w/ Buhler Front end loader
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, MD
Good morning everyone.....I love this site! I have never been helped so much by people who only want to share their knowledge :cool:

Still trying to decide on which tires to get love the guys tires from scotland but worried about them not fitting my 4 bolt original rims havent yet decided :confused:

Anyhow SEAFOAM
I put it in the search and didnt see it anywhere however I have used this product on my jeep vehicles with results I couldnt beleive!

So since I am just dying to do something to my kubota today :D I was gonna try this...Anybody ever used it on an old tractor? Pros or cons would be most appreciated..

thanks Rick

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I haven't used SeaFoam (I use RedLine in my gas machines) but double check to see if SeaFoam is compatible with diesel fuel systems. Many gas additives are not compatible with diesel fuel.

From another site: I had that concern too and asked that very question. Below is the reply from Seafoam and Berrymans (they have a similar product)

Me - "I have a question about <product> usage in a diesel engine. Is it safe to use in all diesel engines even though it contains alcohol? I've heard alcohol is bad for injection pumps."

Seafoam - "Sea Foam has 6 % by volume IPA and has been used in diesels for many years without any problems at all. The other oils in Sea Foam are cleaning and lubricating oil. There are no chemicals in Sea Foam and has been used in Diesel engines for decaids [sic]."

Berrymans - "The B12 Motor Tune-up is indeed safe for all diesel engines. The formula only contains a small percentage of alcohol and has been tried and tested with great success. I hope this answers your question, thank you for your interest in Berryman Products and have a great day."

I use Stanadyne Lubricity Formula to add lubrication to protect my fuel pump.

Ray

Last edited:

shane772

Feb 22, 2016
Tulsa, Ok
I've used it many times. Put a cleaning dosage in the tank then warm engine. Shutdown, fill fuel filter housing w/Seafoam, run for 2 minutes, shutdown and let soak for 10-20 minutes, restart and use tractor under load.

I can't say that the stuff actually works but that doesn't stop me from using it :D

rick sheltra

Equipment
B7100 4wd diesel w/ Buhler Front end loader
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, MD
Thanks Ray and Shane. Great Info as always.....I might wait till i get the tires so i can put load on it as suggested. After I try it I will post ant significant results.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Seafoam has a good reputation with diesels. Have read it originally was designed for Marine diesels

I prefer Lubra Molly Diesel Purge though. It also is best to run engine off the LMolly

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Sea foam has been around for many years, i try to buy a gallon when its on sale. Great stuff, i use it for loosening stuck bolts and lubricating air tools. Good fuel injector cleaner, gas and diesel.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm a Stanadyne and Soltron user, been doing it for years and it works great for me! ;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm sold on Seafoam in gas engines, but haven't seen marked results in a diesel. But, I also don't believe it is detrimental to one. I ran seafoam through my 6BT when I had it, with no issues.
I endeavor to run high quality diesel only through my Kubota, and I change my fuel filter faithfully. I haven't seen any reason to run anything else, other than Powerservice when we have an exceptionally cold Winter.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I have used SeaFoam on gas and Cummins diesel engines. Put it in the oil about 1000 miles before, (or about 20-30 hrs) before your next oil change. Then change it, don't run it on the SeaFoam all the time. It thins the oil.

Run it in the diesel too, it cleans the injectors.

Ran this on a 12V Cummings and it smoothed the engine right out after 100 miles. The difference was noticeable in 15 minutes of running, but after 2 tanks of cleaning, the motor had noticeably more power, was quieter and ran much smoother. 3 cans at $20 total, an oil change and big difference in the motor. Well worth it but you have to follow the instructions and don't leave it in the motor!

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I run SeaFoam in everything I own. 2-stroke, 4-stroke, gas, diesel, weed eater, chainsaw, tractor, truck, car, boat motor..........Its good stuff!!!!

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Seafoam makes an automatic transmission additive also. As a professional transmission tech,builder, I've seen what it does to the internals of a transmission. If you gave me a free case of the stuff, I'd pour it on the ground. I have no experience on the engine side. Maybe they had a different engineer for the engine mixture.

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
ipz222, just what does it do to the internals of the tranys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ipz222, that trans additive is a flushing solvent. I wouldnt reccomend any transmission flush additive to anybody. Unless you are referring to that at-205 re seal made by atp, i would be curious to see what it does to a trans.

Sea foam also has a stabilizer in it too.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
It causes the rubber seals to soften and expand. It was meant to stop external leaks from hard seals but does the internals also. The problem is the seals never stop expanding. They eventualy expand so much they cause the pistons to drag while they are attempting to apply clutches and this causes the pack to burn. It also attacks any plastic connectors.

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
Wow. Thanks for the info.