Shooting with the family

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
No better way to spend winter day in Southern Calif than take the grandkids target shooting at Papas ranch, I bought all 3 of my granddaughters pink 22 LRs they had a great time breaking them in. My grandkids will be the 7th generation of our family to grow up on our ranch learning to shoot and hunt is just part of the fun.l

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good looking group!

I too love shooting, matter of fact, the targets that I ordered about 2 weeks ago just came in today - 8", 3/8" steel A36 - ifn the weather ever gets better I am gonna see if I can play a tune on them!:D:)

the great thing was that the shipping was free:)

https://magnumtarget.com/

The so called problem with "gun" violence is the fact that NOT enough young people are taught to handle and shoot them at a very young age. I applaud you in your teaching of the next generation!:)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, must be something in the air. My daughter got a new gun a while back and never shot it. Also found out my mother hadn't shot hers in 3 decades. So we all went shooting last weekend too! Almost 3 hours, but they are much more confident (and accurate) with their weapons. Also had them do some real easy (safe as possible) unloaded and the loaded draws from how they carry. On top of that, my daughter's husband bought her a purse with secret pouch she carries it in, and she had never actually tried to draw from there. Let's just say they were amazed just how difficult it can be, much less in a stress situation. And I got to zero my halo site for the new mounts I made, check for pattern center on my shotgun laser (yep, that's right, 12 ga buckshot and a laser site...) that also had a new shop made/modified mount. Generally having a great time with 3 generations...

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
That's a fantastic way for families to spend time! Good for you guys.

If I could be the safety police the muzzles on those pick guns could be pointed in a safer direction. This is the best time to teach them. Sorry I don't mean to take away from your thread.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I applaud and affirm this message. Nothing better than family time together, learning safety and respect for firearms, and enjoying the sport. I agree 100% with Hokie- more people need to give sport shooting a try. Part of our problem today is that the majority of those who hate guns have never handled them. Their strong opinion is based on statistics and fear, not experience and fact.
My daughter and I saw a truck the other day, with the personalized license plates "gns kll" on it. None of my guns have ever killed anyone- they just sit there, waiting for a hand to hold them. People kill, not objects.
Both of my daughters are well versed in shooting, and I am very proud of them. My wife goes with us sometimes, too, but she does it to show support and participate, not because she is passionate about it (she is supportive, though, and is not opposed to guns in the house). The girls are, though. My youngest (20) prefers her 12 gauge, and will shoot it all day long. Good thing she works and can buy her own shells!
I can't wait for the weather to get nicer, the ground less muddy, and some time on our hands to take out my AR. They have shot just about everything I've got, except that. They will enjoy it, and it will be a new experience to learn.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Agreed, great family fun, we have a rifle/pistol range on one of our farms and a pistol range in my back yard. I got my wife a new deer rifle this year, but family illness kept us from going. All our kids were raised shooting and now working on the grand kids.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
That's great. A couple of my adult kids enjoy shooting, Marine vets, but they haven't made it up here to take the old man out to the range yet. BTW, it was 5.56 day at the range with my Rec7 today.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

It was warm enough today to take my new Henry out and try to get the reflex sight on paper. Took some doing as I forgot to take a BIG target for the first few rounds, but I got it dialed in enough for starters.

As soon as I catch another shirtsleeve day, I'll fine tune it @ 50 yards and call it good. No convenient place to get out to 100 yards and it's just a .357 anyway so I won't be trying long shots with it.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
hodge,, hope you have a camera on the girls faces when they shoot the ar. Our daughter had a smile that distorted her face after the first magazine. I had to take the thing away from her. She was smoking the barrell.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

It was warm enough today to take my new Henry out and try to get the reflex sight on paper. Took some doing as I forgot to take a BIG target for the first few rounds, but I got it dialed in enough for starters.

As soon as I catch another shirtsleeve day, I'll fine tune it @ 50 yards and call it good. No convenient place to get out to 100 yards and it's just a .357 anyway so I won't be trying long shots with it.
I've also got a Bigboy Steel in 357- I love it! It's one of those guns that I'll never let go.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
hodge,, hope you have a camera on the girls faces when they shoot the ar. Our daughter had a smile that distorted her face after the first magazine. I had to take the thing away from her. She was smoking the barrell.
Good idea. Both of them have embraced every handgun, rifle, and shotgun that I've handed them. They'll love the AR.

This is my oldest, the first day that she shot my crossbow. First 5 shots from 20 yards.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Remind me NOT to upset her !!!!:D
That is some might fine shooting!:)
She must have a very steady aim and great vision! I would be lucky to hit the target!:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That is wonderful, anyone that takes the time to be with their kids and teach them is a parent from top to bottom !!! People didnt seem to understand why i taught my girls to hunt and fish and trap and how to build a fire,,, WHATS WRONG WITH YOU they are little girls they shuld be playing with dolls and frilly dresses and such. They have grown up well adjusted and made a life for them selves never asking from anyone. And who knows, maybe one day they might need everything they learned way back when,,, maybe one day

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Remind me NOT to upset her !!!!:D
That is some might fine shooting!:)
She must have a very steady aim and great vision! I would be lucky to hit the target!:eek:
She works at Lynchburg General, on the oncology floor. Hopefully you never need to go there, but if you do, let her give your injections! She will hit the vein everytime!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And from the looks of that group she might hit an artery or two if she wanted :D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA

This is very close to what my .357 carbine looks like. I have a 3-9x Bushnell scope on it and 100 yards is nothing for it.

Keeping in context of the thread, I haven't fired a round from any of my firearms in almost 6 years.. I doubt I could hit a barn at 40 yards I'm so rusty. The guns are all in perfect shape though.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

This is very close to what my .357 carbine looks like. I have a 3-9x Bushnell scope on it and 100 yards is nothing for it.

Keeping in context of the thread, I haven't fired a round from any of my firearms in almost 6 years.. I doubt I could hit a barn at 40 yards I'm so rusty. The guns are all in perfect shape though.
Unless your eyesight is gone or your hands are no longer steady, I bet you would shake off the rust real quick!

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Nice, Shaun!

My 50 yard zero is based more on the country I hunt in than the capabilities of the weapon.

Any critter more than 50 yards away is likely to be invisible unless I'm VERY lucky.