Coleman lantern question

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK I k now this might sound silly but a while back a friend picked up a coleman kero lantern, and it was a bit beat up but he got it working. I said I bet you could even use diesel in that thing out side,, He said he didnt think so,,,so I pose this question to those that know more than I

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK I k now this might sound silly but a while back a friend picked up a coleman kero lantern, and it was a bit beat up but he got it working. I said I bet you could even use diesel in that thing out side,, He said he didnt think so,,,so I pose this question to those that know more than I
kero is more refined than the ol diesel - I sure it might work - but would smoke the place up and the wick would go through hell. Kero is cleaner burning and thus will not smoke and soot up the wick.

If I was freezing and had to use diesel - it would work .....takes more "heat" to ignite the diesel too! So it would be harder to light too!

here are some autoignition points for some liquids that we burn :

Diesel (2-D) >52 °C (126 °F)[3] 256 °C (493 °F)[4]
Jet fuel (A/A-1) >38 °C (100 °F) 210 °C (410 °F)
Kerosene >38–72 °C (100–162 °F) 220 °C (428 °F)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks Bruce and after reading it is still inconclusive ,,lol

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The white gas ones should only run on white gas. Kerosene is a LOT cleaner than diesel and only in an emergency should you run it on diesel, not only for safety but for longevity of the lamp.

Now, with that said, you can use several forms of jet fuel but they cost as much if not more than the Kerosene! :rolleyes:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I own one of the old Coleman kerosene lanterns. If you are speaking of the one that you pressurize by pumping air into it with the little pump on the side of the lantern, then yes, it can use diesel. The thing about those pressurized Kerosene lanterns is that you have to use alcohol to heat the generator up sufficiently to burn the kerosene or diesel. There should be a little metal cup attached to the generator to put the alcohol in.

One thing that I have observed while using mine is that although I could use diesel in it in warmer weather, it did not work well in cold weather. The diesel got too thick to efficiently burn.

I have owned that lantern for 38 years and I have never had any problems with mine when using kerosene though. I had to replace the generator in mine once many years ago and it was really hard to find the kerosene lantern generator. Personally, I have rarely used the pressurized kerosene lantern since I got a propane one and a propane tank tree to put it on.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I have one with the crome bottom on it that was my grandfathers It still works good. I don't use it as much anymore because propane is easier. I have another one the I got while at FT Hood and it is a multifuel lantern. You can use gas, white gas or diesel in it. We have used ones like it while in the field use unleaded gas

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I have one we used as a kid. Use denatured alcohol in the preheat cup or some fire ribbon in the cup and on the generator tube. Then I suggest using K=1 just to keep things clean and use diesel only in a true bonafide emergency.

These also take a larger mantle than your standard white gas lanterns (when you can find them) and they burn bright so well that the large single mantle often puts out as much light as a double mantle gas lantern.

We bought it because we used it around a diesel powered barge frequently. Over time we found the white gas models more convenient but I have fired up the kero a few times over the years just to hear it hiss. :)