Slow Down the Boom Swing a BX25D BH

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I cannot imagine the heat will be a real issue compared to the heat that might result of partial operation of the lever to make it move slow as I do now.)
I'm not a mechanic so lets throw in some redneck logic.

Go take a pee, before you start pinch off about half the flow then try your best to force it out as fast as possible. When you're done tell me restriction doesn't put strain on your plumbing.

Just my opinion but seat time is the best answer. I've owned 2 Kubota backhoes and used several rented machines. With practice (lots of it) they can be smooth as silk.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes William1 ideally you want them (yes 2) right at the output of the control valve.

If you only install one valve it will swing slow one direction and fast the other.

Now if you install the dime, you only need one, because it's restricting in both directions. ;)

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I don't have a Kubota BH but have a JD since 1988 and that was one of the first things I added to it. If I remember right I use 2 adjustable flow control valves on the swing cylinder lines. Set them and forget them

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Install this valve, #6502006 for $25.34. Sorry, I can't seem to direct link,just put in the part number. :eek:

Controls flow equally in each direction. Controls all that your pump can pump on your tractor.

I would install it so that the head came up through the back hoe control panel. Install it on the welded (closed end ) of the cylinder line. Distance is not really going to make any difference, the hydraulic lines are all tested a 4 times the rated PSI rating.

This is actually a pretty simple thing to do and should cost under $100 for everything.

Good luck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I agree with the others that suggest practice in learning the rig, but adding a restrictor valve is a solution as well.

Part of becoming an operator is learning the 'feel' of your rig. Yes, that moments inattention can cause problems, but that's also why you need to be on your A game when doing work with 2000+ PSI hydraulics! You can't be distracted by other things when working a hoe or loader or anything!

Try to find a feel for the machine and train your hands to know that feel. With practice, it will become easy and you will have no need for mechanical items to develop the feel for you, thus you never will.

When worked properly, a backhoe operators hands look like a conductors in an symphony. Subtle movements, smooth, agile and the orchestra (hoe) follows beautifully....

Here's a beginner that has been given some pointers by a pro operator. If you watch his hands, they barely move as he practices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koa56PuOYOQ

That's proper for practice operations. With enough practice, you'll be able to actually control the acceleration of the components, start, speed up, slow down, etc. You'll lose less material doing this and become pretty quick. With a restrictor, you'll only have a top speed of whatever you set.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I agree with the others that suggest practice in learning the rig
When worked properly, a backhoe operators hands look like a conductors in an symphony. Subtle movements, smooth, agile and the orchestra (hoe) follows beautifully....
I agree, but full size hoes I've run have very close to the same control throw/speed/feel in all movements. The control throw/speed/feel on my B670 is reasonable in all movements except the swing, which is approximately 10 times faster than the others. I am striving to get a better "feel", but most of the movements require a "full throw" of the control lever, then almost a complete stop & feather the swing to 1/16 to 1/4 of "full throw" to keep the swing movement speed reasonable. Workable, but a more consistent operation would be nice.

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a pretty good feel for it. 99% of the time, not a problem. It is that once in a blue moon time when I move to fast ans the boom moves 90mph. It is a lot of mass to suddenly move that fast then stop for a tiny BX. No issues with any other of the BH movements or the FEL.
I never had this sensitivity issue using a mini excavator though I have in a skid steer.

I'd 'do the dime' but it would be a pain to do so much trial and error to get the hole 'just right'.

Another month or so, when the BH goes back on, I'll look into putting a few flow control valves on.

b20barry

Equipment
B20 TLB
Aug 18, 2013
Somerset county,Pa
Those are all good ideas ! My B20 has a turbo swing also . What I learned through practice years ago was I multi-function as I swing. As in roll out bucket or extend dipper while im swinging or all at once. Helps a lot! Tames down swing speed a lot. Just got used to it that way! Practice that if you like.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As in roll out bucket or extend dipper while im swinging
My pump is so low volume it doesn't do well with multiple simultaneous moves, but I don't think I ever tried it with the swing. I'll give it a shot next time the backhoe is mounted. Thanks.