What would you replace? Trans Gears

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
......That's not the PTO output shaft that he's showing, it's the main shaft.....
Oops - I looked too quick & thought the big splines looked like a pto end. My bad. Shoulda looked at a L175 transmission parts page (same design).

IMO there's more damage than careless shifting would do by itself, like a detent missing on a shifter, allowing the mating gear to float back and forth loose?

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
New to tractors, but that was obvious to me!, Apparently not to the previous owner(s),
During load up I caught him shifting/grinding whilst moving,
"Woah, slow down slick-mo", then he calmed down.
It's not all that obvious. It's in the manual, but if you drive a synchromesh car or truck, you think the tractor is the same right? I thought the same thing and tried to shift (at that time my fathers) the D-17 like a car. Ground it like crazy trying. My Dad got on my case and told me to only shift on the fly if you know the RPM's to shift at, or do it when stopped. Of course, he was born in the days of no synchromesh on anything and ran tractors, logging trucks etc. So it's not a problem for him to shift on the fly, nicely, but it is for me.

So stop, put it in the right gear and let the clutch do take the stress. That way when you have to split it, the only thing you need to change next time is the clutch assembly! :D