Kubota backhoe leaks

ghhmtnboy

Equipment
L4150 with 4540 backhoe and a bucket
Jun 9, 2009
Lafayette, New Jersey
I have a L4150 tractor with a 4540 backhoe. One of the backhoe swing cylinders leaks. Can anyone tell me about this, how do I dis-assemble the cylinder?
thanks
George:confused:

ghhmtnboy

Equipment
Jun 9, 2009
Lafayette, New Jersey
Thanks-
This is a good sized machine- removing completely looks to be a chore- end is not threaded- has a plate (washer)- held with a set screw- wondering if I could remove the side attached to the backhoe and pull the piston out?? Set screw was loose, I suspect that was the start of this problem.

So- can I remove the Pin attaching the the cylinder to the backhoe and pull it out. Can I do that by hand?

Can I send a picture??

Thanks again
Regards
George

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hello
That gland is held in with a snap ring (round type). Loosen off the set screw then tap the gland into the cylinder until it bottoms. ( shouldn't be too hard to move) pick out the round snap ring with a screwdriver, ice pick etc. then you can pull out the piston, rod, gland assembly as a unit. remove both hoses first though so you are not working against hydraulic pressure.Be as clean as possible!!!
When you reassemble it leave the set screw loose until you have swung the boom both ways to seat the gland firmly against the snap ring.
Ed

ghhmtnboy

Equipment
Jun 9, 2009
Lafayette, New Jersey
Hi--
You really know your stuff.

Sounds logical, has been driving me crazy.

I spoke to my local Kubota dealer, they were not familiar with the unit.

Will resume on Saturday.

Really appreciate the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, will post a status when done.

Thanks again.:)