Wrong fluid? Any thoughts?

tbanwell

Equipment
L2900 GST 4WD
Jun 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
SO glad to have found this site; I grew up hanging off the side of my dad's trusty Kubota (when I wasn't hucking rocks in the dust behind him!). Can't wait until I own my own, but for now...

I have spent the past couple of days doing light work in with a L2900 GST 4WD that belongs to the boss. Today I noticed a leak and found that one of the power steering lines had a hole pinched near the front fitting, so I had a new one made and put it back together -- no problem.

Here's where I need to know if I've made a mistake.

I don't have a manual for the tractor, but the guy working at the truck & tractor repair place told me that ISO 32 hydraulic fluid is what I should be using to top the system back up. I asked him if he was sure it wasn't supposed to be UDT, and he said the ISO 32 was fine. Didn't sound right to me, so I asked at a rental place as well, and the guy told me the exact same thing. I put 4 litres of ISO-VG 32 right into the fill hole above the PTO until I was back up above the mid-point of the sight glass. Then I bled the system at the front just loosening the fitting I had just installed and turning the wheels left and right until only oil was coming out. After bleeding it, I ran the tractor for no more than 10 minutes before heading home.

Now, I had this nagging doubt the whole time, so I started reading up when I got home tonight. I see now that ISO 32 is only 10W, and that I am supposed to be using Kubota's UDT or an equivalent. *insert minor freakout here*

I've looked at lots of forums and I have come away more confused than enlightened. Have I screwed up big time? Should I drain, flush & refill the common reservoir? If it's true that I need to drain 'er out, will the tractor be damaged if I do some light work moving bark and topsoil for a day until I change the fluid?

I would really appreciate all help anyone could offer. I want to be fully informed so I can be clear with my boss on what level of idiocy I have achieved!