New B6100 and the Oil Light comes on

KeithBarney

Equipment
B7100HST with Woods LS-72 loader. B6100-HST-D and land pride grooming mower
May 17, 2009
Knoxville, MD
I am a new owner of a B6100E which I purchased last Tuesday primarily to pull a grooming mower as well as for driveway snow scraping and maybe tilling if I come across a 3pt tiller. Anyway every once in a while the oil light will come on after running a while when I reduce rpms. It seems to be associated with the ignition key position. It won't come on if the key is in the horizontal (circle with no dot in the center) position but will come on occasionally in the one click right from horizontal. I guess it seems weird to me that if the horizontal is the 'off' position that all it would turn off is the warning light because the engine still runs in this position.

Hours on this tractor are unknown as the hour meter is kaput. Condition and signs of wear on the seat, pedals, and body would seem to indicate that it is very original and lightly used.

Speaking of the the hour meter I could use a new one. Other parts I am in the market for are the hood catch springy thing for the right side, the rubber cover for the hand throttle, and the factory flasher lights.

Back to the oil light, hopefully I'm not in the market for a new motor.
The oil level looks good and the engine has no other outward signs of impending doom. In spite of a lack of gauges the seat of pants feeling is that everything else feels and sounds good.

I ordered a maintenance kit with the new filters in it and am planning on changing the oil to a synthetic like Rotella T Synthetic that isn't CJ-4 rated; I have no idea what is in the crankcase now except that it isn't too sooty looking on the dipstick. How frequent are pressure sender failures versus actual low pressure issues? At this point I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

-Keith Barney

KuB6000

Equipment
B6000
May 7, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a B6000. It will run with the key in the off position and the oil light is disabled when the key is off.

I've only had my oil light come on once so far (I've only had it for a couple weeks). I believe it was a result of the engine overheating. I was told the fluids had been checked, but I later found out my radiator was empty.

You will find a lot of threads on the oil light if you google it. It sounds like Kubota's run with fairly low oil pressure.

Chris

KeithBarney

Equipment
B7100HST with Woods LS-72 loader. B6100-HST-D and land pride grooming mower
May 17, 2009
Knoxville, MD
Ignition switch and wiring all seem to be ok.

I have since flushed the coolant and changed the oil with a new filter.

The oil light will flicker at idle after the tractor has been running more than 15 minutes.

Should I be thinking about replacing crank bearings or is this not that bad yet?

I've rebuilt Corvair motors before but that was a while ago...

Thanks,

-Keith

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
You can remove the oil sending unit and screw in a manual pressure guage to verify the pressure. My 235 is metric threads so I hadto use an adapter to use a guage with 1/8 pipe thread. I think you'll find the pressure drops to 5 to 7 lbs at idle. Not good.
Read the thread/ low oil pressure/ L235, to see what all I've done.