What's up with the used L3301's?

ECL

Equipment
L2650, Ever Clutch, shuttle shift. no FEL
Aug 17, 2019
Hanover, Virginia
Been looking at slightly used tractors to go with all my 5' attachments. There are a few L 2501's around and they are being sold mostly because the owner wants to move up. There seems to be a lot more L3301's for sale with about 200 hrs. on them. One guy selling used tractors was buying used tractors from Kubota dealers for resale. I think he had three 3301's on hand. Looks like the dealers want wholesale the 3301's. In a three state area there seems to be quite a few 3301's for sale. I can buy a new 2501 for what people are asking for a used ones, and the 3301's are selling at the same price as the new/ used 2501's. What's up with L3301's. Is it true you can't work it while it's doing a regen?
ECL

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have not yet went through a regen process on my tractor (32 hours on it so far), but the manual states that YES, you can continue to run the tractor and work while it is in regen.

You just have to keep the RPMs up until the regen is complete according to the manual.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Been looking at slightly used tractors to go with all my 5' attachments. There are a few L 2501's around and they are being sold mostly because the owner wants to move up. There seems to be a lot more L3301's for sale with about 200 hrs. on them. One guy selling used tractors was buying used tractors from Kubota dealers for resale. I think he had three 3301's on hand. Looks like the dealers want wholesale the 3301's. In a three state area there seems to be quite a few 3301's for sale. I can buy a new 2501 for what people are asking for a used ones, and the 3301's are selling at the same price as the new/ used 2501's. What's up with L3301's. Is it true you can't work it while it's doing a regen?
ECL
Should be able to.

The regen process on my L6060 and M9960 is seamless. I do not even know it has happened unless I intentionally scroll through the display screens to look.

SDT

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I have an L3901 HST and have had many regens at 125 hours...just up the RPM's until the light goes out and work away. Some complain about the regens but I have had no problem with them and if it helps the environment even a little bit...seems like a fair trade off.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Although I recently decided on an L2501, I think the L3301 and 3901 cousins could be fine in the hands of individual owner/operators who take the time to know the machines and whatever new processes may be required. Probably a different story for putting these machines into the rental fleet. Maybe there's a blip of these used machines due to a perception that they may not be reliable which, as I said, for individual owners that's probably not the case. Maybe a good time to bargain shop!

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I have an L3901 HST and have had many regens at 125 hours...just up the RPM's until the light goes out and work away. Some complain about the regens but I have had no problem with them and if it helps the environment even a little bit...seems like a fair trade off.
I bought my used 3301 last summer with 85 hrs. About 140 hrs now and only one regen and I had just reread manual . Increased rpm till light out then kept on mowing. I think the key is run the rpm up high and don't let it idle on low tpms.
I think. The 3301 is a great tractor and would buy another if I needed a 2nd one.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm. you'd think the 'computer' would automatically increase the RPM during the regen process.....
I know the dumptruck here the other day did...

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City
hmm. you'd think the 'computer' would automatically increase the RPM during the regen process.....
What if you have something attached to the PTO and for some reason you're running it at low RPMs? Or what if you are running geared or HST Cruise Control and it speeds up on you. It is good that computer doesn't automatically increase RPMs for Regen. I think if you do parked Regen, it does take care of the RPMs for you.

I had my first regen (purchased my MX5800 used) and I was a little nervous about it. Like not knowning what happens if I interrupt the regen. I reached down to throttle down the motor, and the regen light was on. I didn't notice it until I had throttled down, which immediately started the "increase RPMs" light flashing. So I ramped it back up and it continued the Regen. I dont know if that is only because the Regen just started, or if it also would've happened like this mid-cycle. Anyway, just kept working and about 10 minutes or so later it was done.

FarmFreshKS

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If you perform an 'operator commanded' or manual regen on these Kubotas, you actually leave the throttle at idle and the computer handles raising them to near or at wide open. Your dump truck won't raise RPMs on you while driving, either. Only while doing a manual or parked regen.