b1550 hst won't pull

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't know much, but I do know when a tire slips on the rim. david
I like to ask questions to people that know something about what i'm talking about. if you do know much about this model, why would you comment. david
David -

I don't know anything about your model, but you can damn-well bet I'm going to comment.

You came here looking for help, but your responses have been somewhat limited to scoffing at responses to your problem...are they your solutions? Maybe not, but you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....and you certainly don't kick him in the teeth.

Like it or not, the great guys at OTT can't diagnose your issue from hundreds or thousands of miles away...Drive issues with an HST can be quite complicated. I've been an active member here for a while, and it's amazing what the collective expertise here has done over the years.

Your tractor was made from 1988-1997. I'm only guessing at this point there could be relatively few left; meaning a smaller group of members here familiar with your model and troubleshooting same.

I would download a (free) Workshop Manual for a B1550HST at:

http://www.kubotabooks.com/

That should give you some help, because I'm not one of the "people that know what I'm talking about."

Given your limited description, "tan" fluid concerns me, especially after 4 years of sitting and a new fluid change. Given your account, I would focus there. Water/condensation is my concern, but it could be something different or more serious.

Is the fluid milky, smell burned, can you post a picture of it on the dipstick or white paper towel?

If you provide some more detail, maybe OTT can help.

It's a two-way street.

Good luck.

Last edited:

rgk66

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
I don't know much, but I do know when a tire slips on the rim. david
Well sir, I don't know a lot either, that's why I come to the forum to inquire and am willing to pass on whatever may have worked for me in the past. If it works for someone else, great - if it doesn't solve their current issue, no loss.
Hope you are able to add your solution to the forum in the near future.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I like to ask questions to people that know something about what i'm talking about. if you do know much about this model, why would you comment. david
FWIW: I have owned a B1750 since I bought it new in May or 1993. The 1750 is nearly identical to the 1550, aside from the engine.

I've also been a mechanic all of my life and an engineer most of my adult life.

If there are those of you herein who do not appreciate my questions or advise (or my shorthand, e.g., "transaxle"), I advise such folks to not respond to my posts.

SDT

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
FWIW: I have owned a B1750 since I bought it new in May or 1993. The 1750 is nearly identical to the 1550, aside from the engine.

SDT
I was thinking about your B1750 when I responded to him. Probably not many of that generation around?

Followed the B(x)200 series from tractordata?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
knifer94, folks come on here hopefully giving some helpful ideas, and you come back with a critical spirit. You could go to one of those internet sites that charge you for a solution! Then you'd have a legitimate reason to complain if you didn't like what you hear.

Lighten up, be a little understanding, show a bit of appreciation (even if it hurts) and your life might be easier!

There are a couple of guys on here that can help you, but if you keep spitting in their face they probably will not respond to your request...

And when you discover what fixes the problem be sure to come back to this thread and tell the solution. Then the next person with the problem can learn from it.

Last edited:

alchemysa

Equipment
B1550, backhoe, 4in1 bucket, rear mower.
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
I have a b1550 hst that the hydrostatic trans. will move forward and rev. very slow but will not pull over a 1x4 board. I have changed the oil, filter and cleaned the suction screen. a little better or maybe just hoping so. any ideas would be great. thanks, david

Theres 2 suction screens. One each side. One is for tranny. (Left hand side if I recall correctly.) The other is for power steering etc. Did you clean the correct one? And make sure theres no leaks in the suction line or around the banjo connection.

I havent read everything so I dont know if you have said what gear its in. They are totally gutless in high range and can barely climb over their own shadow. But in low range they are a little beast.

knifer94

Equipment
l225
Sep 24, 2009
clemson, sc usa
to all of you out there that have helped me I think you very much. to those who reply that just want to reply to something, not so much. at 72 and having worked on autos and tractors all this time I know a lot about a lot of things, just have never worked on hydrostatic trans. before. david