b1550 hst won't pull

knifer94

Equipment
l225
Sep 24, 2009
clemson, sc usa
I have a b1550 hst that the hydrostatic trans. will move forward and rev. very slow but will not pull over a 1x4 board. I have changed the oil, filter and cleaned the suction screen. a little better or maybe just hoping so. any ideas would be great. thanks, david

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Re: b1550 hst want pull

Clutches are far more likely to fail than a hydrostat. How many hours are on the machine? Has it been getting weak or did it happen all at once?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Besides rent's questions, do you know what type of fluid was in it before, and what did you replace it with?

knifer94

Equipment
l225
Sep 24, 2009
clemson, sc usa

I just bought the machine from an estate. had been sitting for about 4 years. the meter shows 1300 hrs. but don't know if that is correct. the meter is working now. it cranks and runs great. the frontend loader works also. the new fluid is Kubota but is a tan color. I also put a magnet in the trans. and no metal fillings. any body know where I can get it repaired or buy a rebuilt one if my luck gets worse. thanks, david

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa

You should be able to see the propeller shaft spinning if the clutch is engaged. If it is spinning, I would say it's the HST region that is not transferring power, If it is not, then your clutch isn't transferring power. Since you haven't described any HST pedal feedback, I think you're looking at clutch issues.

knifer94

Equipment
l225
Sep 24, 2009
clemson, sc usa

you just have to move the peddle very little, forward or rev. to get it to start moving. does the hydrostatic trans. have a clutch and if so can I repair it or is it hard to do. if not where can I have it done. david

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc

There is a Kubota dealer in Greenwood, SC. I'm told he is really good guy. I have an old guy in Goose Creek (near Charleston) that does great work at his house. If you are mechanically inclined, it is definitely a diy job. You might want to get the shop manual and read up on it first.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Kubota fluid is clear, not tan.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a b1550 hst that the hydrostatic trans. will move forward and rev. very slow but will not pull over a 1x4 board. I have changed the oil, filter and cleaned the suction screen. a little better or maybe just hoping so. any ideas would be great. thanks, david

Does the PTO work and does it carry a load?

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
pto works, 3 point lift works, and the fel picks up with a load in bucket. thanks, david
If the PTO carries a load, it's not the clutch.

Does the hydro pedal feel right? Does it return to neutral after removing your foot? Any slack/slop in the pedal linkage?

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think we need to be perfectly clear, do you have a PTO powered implement like a brush Hog or a tiller?

And if so, can you run them under a load (working it) and the tractor won't move?

A lot of times people equate spinning as working and that sometimes is not the case.

Everything else you mentioned is hydraulically run, so of no bearing to your issue.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
no slop in the peddle and it goes back to neutral and feels like it should. pto works a rotary mower on rear. david
If the PTO operates a rotary mower under load (cutting something), it's not the clutch.

You will need to look to the HST transaxle.

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the PTO operates a rotary mower under load (cutting something), it's not the clutch.

You will need to look to the HST transaxle.

SDT
Just HST on a B1550, the differential, range case and axle are seperate. ;)

rgk66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
Last fall my Bx would hardly move forward or reverse, checked everything and could find no Hydo issues. Was reviewing the forum and found where someone had issues with the rims turning in the tires (loaded with rimguard). Sure enough, the air pressure was just low enough that rimguard had leaked some around the bead, allowing the rim to spin yet sealing enough to not go flat.
Increased the air pressure in both tires, to my relief it has worked fine ever since. Might be worth checking on a tractor that has sat for 4 years.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
don't know much about this model but, is there a brake/park brake stuck?

It's been known to happen to many of us (myself included)....leaving the park brake on. Can you push/roll the tractor in neutral?

knifer94

Equipment
l225
Sep 24, 2009
clemson, sc usa
I like to ask questions to people that know something about what i'm talking about. if you do know much about this model, why would you comment. david

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I like to ask questions to people that know something about what i'm talking about. if you do know much about this model, why would you comment. david
Because it's a rather common occurrence...is very easily overlooked...and applies to many different tractor models.

Besides...you said yourself, above, that you don't know much. Well, can you push the tractor in neutral? I've had a rock stuck between the rim and the front hub that kept the machine from moving as well. Sometimes, it's the simple things that are overlooked.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited: