Grease guns and grease

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
My Dewalt battery operated grease gun is well worth the money! Greasing my tractor has gone from a nightmare to a pleasure. I wish I had bought one sooner. There are a few tricks to getting it to work right. If you wind up getting one, I suggest watching this video, it will be a big help.
https://youtu.be/gaMEfwDtJzQ
5DA3602C-03E4-4793-809F-D9DB73F2BDED.jpg

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
We also use the dewalt 20v grease gun. We have so much equipment that needs grease each week and month it was a no brainer. And couple that with a tip

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCGG5...=1509307697&sr=1-2&keywords=dewalt+grease+gun

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Gr...F8&qid=1508721573&sr=1-13&keywords=grease+gun

We Have two of the dewalt guns and keep one manual one on the shelf just in case. All with the lock tip. Always that tip!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYDZ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I use the Milwaukee 18 volt grease gun at work and will never go back to a manual grease gun.

wajdac

Equipment
B2650 w/loader and BH77 backhoe
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
Has anyone had any experience with the Ryobi 18V grease gun from the Home Depot? I know it is probably not as good quality as the Lincolns or the other high end brands, but I have several batteries and chargers for the Ryobi that I use for other tools.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Hi everyone, longtime lurker, this is my first post, I just bought my new B2650 tractor and like CCS I am hoping to keep everything in good shape and greasing seems to be key. This thread has been really helpful, I was debating a manual or cordless, but I think I will go with the Milwaukee cordless as I have lots of other Milwaukee tools and batteries already.

I was watching TTWT, even as green tractor owner, he has some great info. He has an episode on the Lube Shuttle grease gun system. Does anyone use that system?

whec33

Equipment
BX23s
Apr 9, 2018
Raymond NH
Since I do have two pretty large Land Pride mowers (15 ft batwing and 8' tow behind mower) to also service with Grease -- and may not always want to drag those over to the pole building to have to use the air compressor run grease gun - anyone have a recommendation on the best 18volt or 20volt "cordless" grease gun to run..?

Thanks as always.
I have the Dewalt 20v as I have other tools that work off the same battery. Works great combined with the lock n lube.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Since I do have two pretty large Land Pride mowers (15 ft batwing and 8' tow behind mower) to also service with Grease -- and may not always want to drag those over to the pole building to have to use the air compressor run grease gun - anyone have a recommendation on the best 18volt or 20volt "cordless" grease gun to run..?

Thanks as always.
Nothing to quantify with but I will say my Dewalt 20V has been great for 2 years now. I bought it on Amazon, grease gun only because I had plenty of batteries. I later bought the lock n lube as many have suggested and it is worth it's weight in gold.

I decided to go with the battery operated one because i where I store my implements. I can walk behind the barn no hose attached and walk along to each implement and grease them all at once. No hassle with the hose. If my setup was different I'm sure the air operated would be fine as well.

I just like the freedom to throw the battery operated gun in the truck and away I go. A weekend at the deer land can exceed 10 hours using the loader so I grease it while I'm there. No where to plug in a compressor there.

Good luck and many good ideas here.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What is wrong with this picture? All this talk about this grease gun or that grease gun and NO DISCUSSION about the really important thing.... GREASE!

It makes absolutely no difference what grease gun you choose if you dont pump the correct tyupe of grease for the job! Read your manuals.

About grease: NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE. Greases are oil (usually fortified with additives to enhance particular performance demands) and the oil is held in suspension in a metallic SOAP. That soap is based upon different concoctions of metallic salts such as Lithium, Calcium, Aluminum, etc etc. It is important to NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES because they do not mix and lubrication will suffer causing galling and bearing/bushing failures.

In addition, not all greases serve the same purpose. For example, wheel bearings, roller bearings, ball bearings all work well with lithium, OR Calcium, OR aluminum base soaps. But your Front End Loader has plain bushings and pins that rotate on each other under extreme pressure and its likely your manual demands that you use MOLY type grease. (Molybdenum is an additive that stands up to severe shear loading and is preferred for such use. But it does not do as well as other base soaps for roller bearing use. In another example, sulfonate greases are particularly suited for water washout resistance while Moly greases do not, one of the reasons your mfrr recommends lubricating your FEL with MOLY grease every TEN HOURS. Such frequency is not necessary with other base soaps.)

Synthetic greases are not necessary for items requiring frequent greasing, and synthetics should not be mixed with non-synthetics. If you change from one type to another then ALL the old grease must be removed before the change.

Do your research. Use the appropriate grease for the specific task at hand and DO NOT MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE.

(I use manual grease guns with flexible hoses and I have FOUR different guns each clearly labelled for the particular type grease cartridge inside it. Since Lithium is widely available and perhaps the most commonly found I use it for general purpose chassis grease. I use Moly for plain bushings/pins like the FEL. I use a Marine Boat Trailer Bearing Grease (water resistant, either calcium or aluminum but never mixing them, for all wheel bearings. Those are my personal choices. You can choose your own, but NEVER MIX DIFFERENT GREASES and read your Owners and Service Manuals if you want your equipment to last.)

It makes very little difference what kind of grease gun you choose, but it makes ALL the difference what type grease you choose.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What is wrong with this picture? All this talk about this grease gun or that grease gun and NO DISCUSSION about the really important thing.... GREASE!

It makes absolutely no difference what grease gun you choose if you dont pump the correct tyupe of grease for the job!
I'd say this falls under the same category as that awful 3 letter word, "oil"

To many that think "red" is the only thing to use or simply just look for what is on sale so they can go as cheap as possible.

See how it resembles oil.
Cheap seems to be the preferred method for the masses. I can't wrap my head around spending thousands of equipment then cut every corner possible on maintenance, that's just me I guess.

I personally keep 2 different types of grease. Amsoil universal for wheel bearings and such and Amsoil with moly for everything else.

Only things I'll disagree about is the washout and frequency. Now this may be a issue with other brands but not Amsoil.
I honestly don't grease my loader maybe 4 or 5 times a year and it's tight as new after 19 yrs of use. And you can't wash this stuff out even with a pressure washer.

Aside from that I enjoyed the post and thought it has good info. That said you've got about as much chance getting people to keep 4 different types of grease as I do getting them to understand Amsoil products are all they need.

I admire your effort though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Brand loyalty is fine and it makes a guy feel good perhaps, but it does not equate to meeting standards such as Mil-Specs and industry specifications.
Many brands will do as well or better than Amsoil or Pennzoil or Lucas etc etc etc. Being brand-loyal is similar to being a Spurs supporter or a Braves fan... fun perhaps but virtually silly if the basic rules of the game are followed (eqivalent to Mil-Specs or industry standards.). Those products meeting the same Mil-SPec are interchangeable and simplify the consumers life by avoiding brand-addictions which are purely the result of marketing propaganda.

Last edited:

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
GeoHorn has hit the nail on the head! There is no magic in oils, only specifications. Use the product that lists the manufactures required spec and all will be right with the world!

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
Has anyone had any experience with the Ryobi 18V grease gun from the Home Depot? I know it is probably not as good quality as the Lincolns or the other high end brands, but I have several batteries and chargers for the Ryobi that I use for other tools.
I have a lot of Ryobi tools and batteries rated for 1.5 up to 6AH. So when I saw that Ryobi was coming out with a grease gun that would push 10K PSI I waited for it. I finally got it and used it on my B2710 that was overdue for a greasing (i.e. sat in the shelter for an extended period) and I am very pleased with the results. Not only that it was $119 without a battery which I did not need.

I did put the lock-n-lube on it though because I think that makes it so much easier connecting to, and disconnecting from, the zerk fittings.

My son bought the dewalt and he pay like $240 but it did come with batteries...

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I have a lot of Ryobi tools and batteries rated for 1.5 up to 6AH. So when I saw that Ryobi was coming out with a grease gun that would push 10K PSI I waited for it. I finally got it and used it on my B2710 that was overdue for a greasing (i.e. sat in the shelter for an extended period) and I am very pleased with the results. Not only that it was $119 without a battery which I did not need.

I did put the lock-n-lube on it though because I think that makes it so much easier connecting to, and disconnecting from, the zerk fittings.

My son bought the dewalt and he pay like $240 but it did come with batteries...
I think I'll stick with my 30 year old Lincoln lever gun with a Lock-N-Lube.
Works every time unless it's out of grease.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
If you are still looking I got a manual one from Lube Shuttle:

https://advancedenginetech.com/aet-systems-store/

They are designed and made in Germany, but it is really well made. The gun pulls the grease through via suction instead of a plunger making a lot less of a mess.

If you do not want to buy their grease (or if you buy in bulk) they do sell empty tubes that you can fill yourself. They also have a locking coupler like Lock n Lube, battery operated ones, Air operated ones as well as 1 meter high pressure hoses that they sell as well. I have really liked mine so far and the wife likes not having grease everywhere.

Hope this helps!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Regarding the actual grease - I went on a long hunt for the best grease I could find when I got my new L2501. I was not concerned with price, as one tube will likely last several months. I just wanted the highest quality grease. I ended up going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Prolong-Super-Lubricants-PSL45000-Grease/dp/B0199PQBCM

It doesnt have a lot of reviews but what I could find on it was very positive. Most of the big reviews are on more well known brands that are about $4 or $5 a tube, but I wanted to go a step above those if I could. So far I like this grease, though comparing grease is a little hard to do I think. I am not someone who is brand loyal - i just want the best whatever it is.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You want premium quality synthetic, teflon fortified, high drop point, extremely tacky grease, go to Lubrication Engineers and get it there.

I use LE red high tack synthetic grease. It's $1500 bucks for a 150 pound open head drum. Think they sell it in tubes too. Works out to 10 bucks a tube or so. So long as price is no object, quality is and it's top tier stuff.