regeneration danger

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Look at the links Country Bumkin put in his post.e.g...the John Deere tractor has a diesel particulate filter AND DEF. Pictures are better than words. It is really complicated, and what is present in one vehicle or tractor is not in another. If we are going to hate it, it would be good to hate it for the right reasons and get the facts straight! :D There is no doubt in my mind that the added complexities are difficult to manage, (read PITA) but I can find reasons to find some good points about them. I really don't mind not having those soot particles in my lungs when I start up my tractor in the barn. I hope they come up with better solutions sooner rather than later.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Look at the links Country Bumkin put in his post.e.g...the John Deere tractor has a diesel particulate filter AND DEF. Pictures are better than words. It is really complicated, and what is present in one vehicle or tractor is not in another. If we are going to hate it, it would be good to hate it for the right reasons and get the facts straight! :D There is no doubt in my mind that the added complexities are difficult to manage, (read PITA) but I can find reasons to find some good points about them. I really don't mind not having those soot particles in my lungs when I start up my tractor in the barn. I hope they come up with better solutions sooner rather than later.
Actually Sheepfarmer, now we get the worst of all worlds (and this is probably what they were heading for). According to those links even the 74hp and below engines are going to be saddled with both regen AND DEF. So, cold weather? Forget about running your tractor until you thaw out the DEF tank.

While the regen isn't much of a bother for tractors, you now have to pay for DEF and the fuel loss of regen, on top of the cost of maintenance.

I'm not sure what I'm not supposed to hate here... I don't see anything to like. :mad:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There has got to be a way around that DEF juice Maybe VW can come up with something

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
We were running a 2012 f350 diesel, def equipped.
There were issues, such as it rarely went into regen.
Constantly pulling near 10,000 lbs. kubota on an oversize trailer.
I had ford program in manual regen, so we could run a regen when it was convenient for us. Not to mention regen kicking in at the parks woodlot
In the middle of a huge forest during the summer months.

I dont think i would want a tractor with particulate filter or the def setup.
Unnecessary things that cost extra money that fail.
Def heater and pump, dont last forever.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
We were running a 2012 f350 diesel, def equipped.
There were issues, such as it rarely went into regen.
Constantly pulling near 10,000 lbs. kubota on an oversize trailer.
I had ford program in manual regen, so we could run a regen when it was convenient for us. .
How did you get Ford to reprogram the computer to permit manual regeneration? That is the one thing that would make using my 3560 in the winter much easier. If I could run the regen any time when the dpf was say above 95% full, when I had something for it to do that would take 15 minutes and the engine was already well warmed up, it would alleviate a lot of worry that it was going to try to regen some morning at 10 below 0 right after I started it. Mentioned it to Kubota online tech last winter, but no luck. I would really hate to work with the models that just turn on a flashing yellow light when it hits 100% full and forces you into a cycle right then and there. At least with the monitor I know it is coming up and can plan ahead, but waiting for it to tick over from 99% to 100 is a pain.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
All i did was ask if there was a way to do a manual regen, and they added it to the instrument panel control. Was a feature that could be activated by the dealer.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I agree! The "burning of something that was the result of something else not burning all the way" resulting in more complete burning seems a tad wacky but I guess in U.N. speak, it makes sense..

Wonder why they don't have a small compactor integrated into the exhaust and when you trip over 99%, it quickly compacts all the residual particulate matter collecting in the exhaust screens into a little black brick of sooty poop that drops out of your tractor or into a catch basket for disposal later.

There has to be a better way...

:(

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
It all boils down to the fact that the all powerful government doesn't believe that you the owner have the good sense to know when it is safe to do the regen. Sometime soon, these complex systems will come on at a time and situation, where someone will die because of it...:eek::eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ray, I like the idea of making charcoal briquettes out of it! Or if we could just use the excess heat in the regen for something or maybe like an afterburner on a jet engine use it for propulsion! That's what we need a jet propelled tractor! :D

Dave, I think from bitter experience the gov't knows that too many people have no common sense, and worse yet, just look at the numbers of posts from people who want to defeat the system before they have even tried it out much less had trouble with it on a tractor. I think 90% of the problems that have occurred in these compact tractors are where the computer, the all knowing computer, doesn't let the system regenerate because it doesn't think some parameter is just exactly right, and instead of letting the operator solve the problem it shuts the tractor down. It knows many of us would put off solving the problem until we just finished the job at hand and maybe the next one...in the meantime either the catalytic converter would be ruined or we'd be emitting over the allowed amount of pollutants. I really hate not being trusted to do things right, but I can see where it comes from.

I should point out to be fair, that I have had, knock on wood, not a particle of trouble after a year of anything but optimal use for a diesel. It starts like a dream, no block heater, runs quietly (this is thanks to the computer controlled common rail fuel injection system), and has regenerated when needed with no trouble. The fuel economy is great from my point of view. The electronic controls on the fuel injection system sound like a step forward, power and fuel economy. However, some folks have rightly pointed out they may be a pain to fix down the road. We'll see, keep your fingers crossed for me.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I see all the complaints all the time, but why are people not revolting against the EPA and all the other law makers. Every time they make up this ridiculous crap, we all bend over and take it.
I don't see anyone going after the EPA or enviro-Mental-ists.