tractor on fire

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Been pileing and burning brush all day. Came in, got on the forum, just reading around. Wife came to the door and said' "What would you do if your tractor caught on fire???". Geez,, I never thought about it I replied. She said, "You need to mount you a fire extinguisher on it somewhere". I think her "She's a keeper" status just went way up. Wildfire, where's you'rs mounted???

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
I always throw dirt on the fire when I'm on a tractor . The m135 I have is bad to start a fire because of the full belly pan and down exhaust . The exhaust can cause a fire when stuff gets built up on it . Always have to keep it clean of leaves stick and stuff from brush hog'n .

And always keep fire and theft Insurance on a tractor just in case .

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Been pileing and burning brush all day. Came in, got on the forum, just reading around. Wife came to the door and said' "What would you do if your tractor caught on fire???". Geez,, I never thought about it I replied. She said, "You need to mount you a fire extinguisher on it somewhere". I think her "She's a keeper" status just went way up. Wildfire, where's you'rs mounted???
Well as luck would have it I've done a video on that last evening. It's still in the camera and I'll try and put it up in the next day or so on YouTube. :)

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I made a mount and hung one by my right foot, attached to the rear of the right loader frame. I'm a really big fan of having a fire extinguisher close by.
every vehicle except the ATV and the lawnmower has one on board.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
YOU are living on a razors edge there my friend,,,, taping your lovely bride with out her knowing it, is like playing with matches and a can of gasoline!!!!
Though I liked her comment,,, what the hell is this stuff ??? LMAO Dude I think you got a keeper there;)

Wildfire

Equipment
YOU are living on a razors edge there my friend,,,, taping your lovely bride with out her knowing it, is like playing with matches and a can of gasoline!!!!
Though I liked her comment,,, what the hell is this stuff ??? LMAO Dude I think you got a keeper there;)
Well she found out. Let's just say it's going to be a cold night in the dog house for me lol.
She's really a good sport. She's cleaned up that lathe for years now but that's the first time she's seen that material. I let her read your post and she had a big chuckle. Thanks for that. :D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
When I was in the Navy we practiced fire drills. It was funny to see inexperienced guys attempting to use a fire hose mounted right next to the imaginary fire. The motto is: your fire extinguisher should not be mounted next to the likely possible fire.

I get a number of my posts deleted by the powers that be. So, I suppose this one also is not good advice in their opinion.:(.

Wildfire

Equipment
When I was in the Navy we practiced fire drills. It was funny to see inexperienced guys attempting to use a fire hose mounted right next to the imaginary fire. The motto is: your fire extinguisher should not be mounted next to the likely possible fire.

I get a number of my posts deleted by the powers that be. So, I suppose this one also is not good advice in their opinion.:(.
First of all let me thank you for your service. You made a good point so I'll ask you this. In your opinion where is the best location for a fire extinguisher on an open station tractor?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
WildFire: It depends on the machine, but to the rear, on the side opposite any filler openings, such as oil and fuel. A rear fender or a ROP vertical bar come to mind. Also, get a type for the fuel and in sufficient volume container. CO2 would be my choice.

Wildfire

Equipment
Not mounted close to the eng, Wildfire. I mounted mine on the back, between the rops, behind the seat.
WildFire: It depends on the machine, but to the rear, on the side opposite any filler openings, such as oil and fuel. A rear fender or a ROP vertical bar come to mind. Also, get a type for the fuel and in sufficient volume container. CO2 would be my choice.
Cool. I mounted mine on the ROPS. Not many choices on a small BX to mount it. Mine is classed as a ABC extinguisher.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Hmm - Open tractor, outside, windy day. All that CO2 is blown away before it can do any good. I'll take dry chem, thanks.

Wildfire

Equipment
Hmm - Open tractor, outside, windy day. All that CO2 is blown away before it can do any good. I'll take dry chem, thanks.
Well frig it then. I'll let the dang thing burn and go get a new tractor. Having something, anything to aid in suppressing a fire is better than having nothing at all. Maybe I'll just go and pick up an old pumper truck and restore it to have on stand by while I'm using the tractor. :rolleyes:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Wildfire - just be sure to post your most excellent videos of the pumper truck restoration! I assume it will end up orange and somehow be able to be towed by the tractor so it is handy at all times!

I can't wait!

(just so you all are sure - this reply is entirely a joke!)

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildfire - just be sure to post your most excellent videos of the pumper truck restoration! I assume it will end up orange and somehow be able to be towed by the tractor so it is handy at all times!

I can't wait!

(just so you all are sure - this reply is entirely a joke!)
Russell the strangest thing is, I've always wanted to restore an old fire truck. There were only two problems with it. I couldn't find a truck and I wouldn't know what to do with it after it was restored :confused:

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Wildfire-
Can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like you have a dry chemical extinguisher, not CO2. I have never seen a CO2 that was that small, although they may exist. It looks like you have a 2-1/2# dry chem, which, as you say, is better than nothing. At least with dry chem, if you get it on the fire, it will stay there and not blow away like CO2 gas.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for posing this question, it got me to thinking about the situation.
Grabbed an extra extinguisher from the garage, and lo & behold, the mounting holes in the extinguisher bracket lined up with the holes in the bracket on the back of the seat. It's out of the way, doesn't interfere with the backhoe operation, and easily accessible with the seat facing front or rear.

Attachments