Smart guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guys I need some ideas on how to fill the gaps between concrete slabs in front of the garage. When they were poured they had what I think was celotex spacers between each pour. And yes they are all gone the grass has eaten them. Soo I need some ideas how to fill the gaps maybe 1/2 inch wide

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey Skeets, fill them with salt. Then the grass won't grow!:D

Go to your Home Depot and look up concrete crack sealer. Get it in a bucket, or caulking tubes.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Len beat me to it!

I used foam seam filler, punched it down an inch and then shot the cheapest silicone tubes I could find. Took a few but I washed out the crack with a hose and let it dry a couple of days before foaming and caulking. I brushed it off with a small brush to get rid of particles and the silicone bonded well to the stem wall and the concrete drive. The silicone has yellowed a tad but not bad. Doing a great job of keeping the rain out.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I did a similar thing as above. Clean out as much debris as you can. Be careful since there may be old rusted nails sticking out of the concrete into the crack. Wash out with a jet nozzle on end of the hose and let dry.

I bought backer rod and some black plastic low pressure irrigation tube. Installed the black tube across the drive to use for wireway or irrigation in future (installed caps on ends). Then installed the foam backer rod as needed to limit how much sealant was used.

If the crack is fairly level I recommend self leveling sealant from Sika. It comes in various colors and some are more expensive than others for some reason. It comes in tubes like caulking and you can pump it into the crack. I recommend leaving it a bit lower than the top or it will flow over and create other problems. It looks better if it is about an eighth to quarter inch low.

Cover it with tape or paper until it cures or junk will get stuck on it.

I used plumbers putty to seal the ends of the crack before I filled the crack.

If they are not level cracks I believe they make thicker material and then you have to tool it to be smooth. Look at brick buildings and then vertical expansion joints or window to brick joint for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Can you still get solid tar/pitch? You know the stuff you have to melt in a galvanised bucket over a fire. That's what I'd use. No need for any packing material, just pour it in.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL @ cat,, no I had no idea what to do,, Does that filler expand or what in the expansion joints? Thanks guys :D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
No the Sika sealant is not expanding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Back in the late '60s early '70s, local block/brick/cement/mortar dealers sold a thin replacement board heavily wrapped with saran wrap. You cleaned out the old board, unwrapped this new stuff, dropped it in, and watered it. It then expanded to fill the joint better than the original. It was great stuff, but no one today has heard of it.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Bill,

That's because you are making it up.

(Why has all the good stuff disappeared? Remember when they trued tires? Lol...)

:)

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Glad to see these suggestions, I have a few missing expansion joints to fix/fill. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckystars

Equipment
M5950 M1840A RTV900 CLUB CAR CARRY ALL 1
Mar 1, 2018
Webster FL USA
self leveler is what I'd use. It's what they use in warehouses to fill cracks and holes where solid tire forklifts run 100's of times a day. I think it's 8500 psi compared to regular 2500-3000 we use for driveways. It's pricey so you may want to pack the seams with a crushed lime rock or road base first. Leave just a 1" to fill.
Plan be would be use 1x P.T. to fill the voids. Ground contact of course not the blue stuff for indoor use.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Back in the late '60s early '70s, local block/brick/cement/mortar dealers sold a thin replacement board heavily wrapped with saran wrap. You cleaned out the old board, unwrapped this new stuff, dropped it in, and watered it. It then expanded to fill the joint better than the original. It was great stuff, but no one today has heard of it.
Sounds a lot like how my wife makes soda biscuits.:eek: