One of them days

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK yesterday, a lovely morning, cool light breeze blue skies a nice morning to cut down a couple of dead ash trees for firewood.
Saw, oil, gas, tools ( just in case, but hell its lovely morning what could go wrong) Start the Bota hook up the wagon and put everything in and off we go. Birds chirping, sun shining, diesel just purring along.
Unload, saw gas and oil and over the the FIRST tree, clear everything away mark your notch cut it and start cutting,( eye and hearing protection on ) Then about all most all the way to the notch,here comes a big puff of wind, set the tree right back on the bar, wedged tight,grrrrrrrr
OK back to the garage looking for my wedges, down to the shop, in the basement,,grrrrrrr
OK find an old ax I dont like beating on an ax but you do what you have to do,,right? start to drive it in I figured I could get in enough to get the bar loose, or open it up for a splitting maul,, yup ,, both stuck and the tree hasn't moved off the bar.
Back to the garage ,get the block and tackle and a couple chains ,,,,back into the woods,,, hook up one end and the block, then to to hook up the other end,,,annnnd yep I was just this much to short,, back up find a chain with 2 hooks back down ,,,
OK we got this now,, tie the rope off to the tractor draw bar and off we go and go and go and then realize the damn chain came unhooked,, back up hook the chain and off we go again,,, oh joy the sound of a crashing tree,,yeahhhh,,

But wait there's more!

Well the chain is kind of loose on the saw so I tighten it up ahhhh NO,, the chain has stretched to the point of not being able to be adjusted on this bar,, No worries I have a couple more chains,,, put one on adjusted it and went to start marking my cuts for length,,,
First mark PING,,, chain is in 2 pieces,, I dont know what it was but when the chain hit it, what ever it was got torn out and broke the chain,,,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,,,,

OK one more chain,, an old one but sharp so we should be good to go,,,,, Nope somebody must have forgotten to sharpen both sides of the chippers,,, no way in hell could I get a good cut,, then it started to jerk WTF
About 19 or the chippers broke off,,one more junk chain
So 4 hours to get one tree down, 3 chains shot and Im not a happy camper,,,
On a good day it should have taken 20 min to knock it down and 2 hours to cut and haul to the splitter
OH well, at least it too my mind off other things

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, I was always told burning wood heats you more than once. You just confirmed it!

But....the tree didn't land on you, the tractor, house....so it's not all bad.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Brother Skeets...

You just can't take a hint can you?

:)

(Why is it simple stuff gets so dang complicated when you get a little older? Give me an extension cord and I can snarl it eleventeen ways from Sunday on things farther away than the length of the cord. I can get a hose to knot BY PULLING ON IT! That should be IMPOSSIBLE. But I do it 98.9% of the time. I feel for you Bro.)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why when I cut down trees (and we have a lot of them) so I'm always cutting them down especially dead ash, I take 2 chainsaws with me and my plastic wedges and a sledge....

I keep 3 saws on the ready all the time.

Been there and did that too.

I run 2 loops of chain for each saw and when the chain gets dull, I swap out and flip the bar over at the same time. When both loops are shot, the saw gets a new bar, 2 new loops and an new drive sprocket.

One thing about the big tractors, I can push over a pretty big tree with a partial cut through, do that a lot and I like to cut them high (especially pines) and then attach a chain to the top of the cut off trunk and pop the stump out of the ground, using the trunk as a lever. Put the M9 in 4wd, low range and out she comes....

We don't heat with wood (we have a biomass stove that uses pellets or shelled corn or a combination of both) so I give all the wood away. Have a friend who sells it to campers and he takes it all and pays me for it. Not a lot but he cuts it to the length he wants, I load it on his trailer and it leaves.

Moral of the story is take 2 saws and the necessary tools with you....lol

Nothing beats a Stihl, except a good Husky....lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Brother Skeets...

You just can't take a hint can you?

(Why is it simple stuff gets so dang complicated when you get a little older? Give me an extension cord and I can snarl it eleventeen ways from Sunday on things farther away than the length of the cord. I can get a hose to knot BY PULLING ON IT! That should be IMPOSSIBLE. But I do it 98.9% of the time. I feel for you Bro.)
My wife has a corded electric hedge trimmer. I think I've repaired the cord (from her cutting it) at least 10 times. She'll be trimming the hedges and all of a sudden it quits and she says to me, the trimmer is broken. I look and sure enough, she cut the cord.... again.

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
Skeets,
What is it about chainsaws and humans anyway? Seems like some days we just dont get along.

Last week while moving gravel into a border along the driveway, i snagged a limb growing sideways out of this pear tree with my ROPS and it came crashing down. Probably 6 inches diameter where it exited the trunk. Leverage is a powerful force...

No damage to the B2320, so i went in to grab my trusty Echo and it wouldnt cooperate at all. No full throttle operation possible even though a month ago it ran just fine..go figure.

So that turned into a carb teardown, a couple of shots of brake cleaner, but nothing obvious turned up, the inside was super clean.

Drained the gas and it looked fine, no water or gunk. Poured it back into the tank being the skinflint that i am.

Put it back together and it fired right up and sang like it used to, had the limb sawed up and on the woodpile in no time.

Side benefit..a few hockey puck sized pieces of the green wood really added to the taste of the chicken i grilled the next day.

But that saw is probably sitting inside its nice dry storeroom thinking about its next move....

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
+1 on what flip said. The plastic felling wedges are about 5 bucks and you can keep a couple in your back pocket without them pulling your pants down. Having a rescue saw in nice, but if it isn't in the cards, you can keep your worn out bars and an extra chain and just take the saw off of the stuck bar and use the extra one.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah Buck I have/had a couple felling wedges, where they be,, ya got me I couldnt even find my splitting wedges,,,, So yes next trip to TS or RK and I am going to grab 2 more the brightest colors they have :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yeah Buck I have/had a couple felling wedges, where they be,, ya got me I couldnt even find my splitting wedges,,,, So yes next trip to TS or RK and I am going to grab 2 more the brightest colors they have :D
I keep all my tree related stuff in one place. Makes things easier to find that way.

Only ever seen plastic wedges in Orange and Yellow.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
When that dark cloud is following you around it's best just to chill for a while. I managed to chew up a few chains myself this week rebuilding my deck and another one this afternoon chunking up some wood for the fire pit that was loaded on my trailer. When you have a lot on your mind using a chainsaw can turn out to be costly, be careful my friend.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think I am going to dig a hole and get inside for a while.. Nice day I havent been to the range in a while,,,grab some toys and head out,, not a soul on the range just how I like it. Set up the rest and went to shoot the AR,, 2 rounds and kiss my rosy red white and blue arse the scope goes tits up,, brand new one,,, no windage cant move the knob like it is at its stop, elevation not so to good either. If I aim 6 inches to the left and and 10 inches high,, the thing shoots a nice group cover 3 shots with a dime at 50 yards, out of a PSA kit,not to bad. Put that way picked up the 22, remington semi, one shot had to cycle it one shot cycle it by hand. It worked well the last time I shot. At this juncture I packed everything up and went home and havent moved off this dayum chair. It has got to get better right?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The erector spring broke. That happens on cheap scopes. Must be a Burris or a Tru-Glow.:D

Hope your chainsaws aren't cheap ones too....

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahh no it is a Vortex and my Husky works just fine thank you very much

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets you better be careful you're setting the the chair playing on your computer....It might quit also. Maybe it's your fault it was down yesterday!:D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
When you get up in the morning and crossthread the cap on the toothpaste it's best to cut your losses.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My wife can cross thread the cap on a ketchup bottle! And about 85% of the time!!!

If I can figure out how to channel those odds into lottery tickets, I'll let you know. Any ideas, just yell.