Some Scams Are Difficult to Detect....

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Two new scams on Phoenix Craigslist again, check out the description on this one.:)

It's always good to have that extra performance and handling when your going 6 mph lol.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just posted my camper for sale on Craigslist. Also had my wife post it on face book yard sale sites as well. Been an interesting comparison to see the quality of the individuals from the two places.

I received this email earlier. Pretty safe bet it's a scam.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
There's a 2012 MX4700 4WD with FEL and 6' brush hog for 4,000. Same guy has it listed in NW Ohio, Ft Wayne and a couple other cities. Same email. Says he doesn't need it any more. Smells like something I stepped in out in the pasture.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
There's a 2012 MX4700 4WD with FEL and 6' brush hog for 4,000. Same guy has it listed in NW Ohio, Ft Wayne and a couple other cities. Same email. Says he doesn't need it any more. Smells like something I stepped in out in the pasture.
Wait a minute, that’s listed for sale in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts Craigslist too. It can’t be a scam if it’s listed in that many places!!! LOL

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
First come, first serve.
Somebody better hurry.
:D

(You don't think there's more than one do you?)
:p

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I've used Craigslist to sell a few things and cringe every time I do a listing. I sold a couple cars on it and made it clear that they were cash only, in person sales. Always get the scammers wanting to send a check for more and have their buddy pick it up.

I have a snow blower and a push mower to sell this summer/fall and I'm sure that it will bring a few scammers out. Our local town has a Online Sales area at the police department that is recorded 24x7. A couple time that address has made prospective buyers not show up.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Was selling a boat recently on clist (20ft fish n ski) and this guy came over, looked it over, liked it then told me he would buy it if i let him and his buddy try it out for a week and he was dead serious, i laughed at him and he said another guy offered to let him take that boat for a week. I told him to take a hike, get off my f***ing property.

Too many idiots out there, im always armed when i buy or sell now.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Was selling a boat recently on clist (20ft fish n ski) and this guy came over, looked it over, liked it then told me he would buy it if i let him and his buddy try it out for a week and he was dead serious, i laughed at him and he said another guy offered to let him take that boat for a week. I told him to take a hike, get off my f***ing property.

Too many idiots out there, im always armed when i buy or sell now.
So far face book market is winning by a land slide. Been trolled twice today, one scammer in the picture above. Then someone pimping some rv blogspot that's similar to car fax after they pretended to be interested. Another email just said "5000". I emailed that one back "8500". They emailed saying I was only asking $7500 in the add. I said ah, well I thought we were just playing a game and throwing out random numbers :D:D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
motionclone,,, armed"" Was walking across my yard toward my house, a car pulled up, guy got out, approched with his "book". Said, we were in the neighborhood and wanted to ck with you about a security system". I turned slightly, laid my palm across my Ruger 9mm and said, " Do I look like I need a stupid alarm system?? He folded his book and left.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
motionclone,,, armed"" Was walking across my yard toward my house, a car pulled up, guy got out, approched with his "book". Said, we were in the neighborhood and wanted to ck with you about a security system". I turned slightly, laid my palm across my Ruger 9mm and said, " Do I look like I need a stupid alarm system?? He folded his book and left.
All they are trying to do is discover IF you have an alarm system. If you do, they keep going and make note of those that do not. Those are the ones they will return to visit (when no one is home)! They are not selling alarm systems. Just a method of research.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Well, what I didn't tell him is that I do have 2 24 hour recording systems,, and the ruger, and the smith & wesson, and the.......

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Woo. Last night was something else. And I won't be listing any thing else for sale on Craigslist. No serious takers, and just a bunch of scammers and folks looking for something for nothing.

Now Facebook market place was just the opposite. Got home last night at 5:55 from work. There was one vehicle in the yard already and my wife showing the couple the camper. Another young lady showed up a couple minutes later. Then another couple. All serious buyers. All 3 wanting the camper just from the pictures and description.

Long story short, by 6:45 the camper was sold for full asking price. The young lady and her husband bought it. They are coming by tonight to do the paperwork, picking it up, and hubby is getting a course on how everything works :) Camper was sold in 26hrs :D

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I may have to try Facebook Market, well get the wife to. I'm not on the faceballs. She says I'm not PC enough to be on there, whatever that means. Frankly, I have a lot more fun doing stuff around the farm than sitting staring at a screen all day. Heck, I have to do that for work.

Motionclone, I'm always armed as well when dealing with those types of sales. Asked one of the local Po if they had any concerns with me carrying in their parking lot whiled doing a sale and their response was, that they wished more people would exercise their right.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
no search feature on facebook marketplace without signing in under an account...no thanks

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
We have a local FB deal, Upcycle, that you have to have a local person/member vouch for you to get on. That way you have mostly very local people shopping. Had a horse trailer sitting around that I no longer needed so stuck it on there, had all kinds of people respond. Seems like in this part of the country older horse trailers in good condition are popular. Sold it to the first lady that looked at it.
I have had good luck on Craigs buying stuff. Have to sift through the scammers as OP posted. Wife's ATV was too good to be true but it was true, lol. Local guy was moving overseas, he was from a local ranching family so had name recognition. I went and looked at the 4 wheeler and it was like new, he rarely used it, he used the ones on the ranch. Sometimes you get lucky but you do have to be careful.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Woo. Last night was something else. And I won't be listing any thing else for sale on Craigslist. No serious takers, and just a bunch of scammers and folks looking for something for nothing.

Now Facebook market place was just the opposite. Got home last night at 5:55 from work. There was one vehicle in the yard already and my wife showing the couple the camper. Another young lady showed up a couple minutes later. Then another couple. All serious buyers. All 3 wanting the camper just from the pictures and description.

Long story short, by 6:45 the camper was sold for full asking price. The young lady and her husband bought it. They are coming by tonight to do the paperwork, picking it up, and hubby is getting a course on how everything works :) Camper was sold in 26hrs :D

I had the same exact response, I listed 10 things for sale, only one craigslist person followed through and bought what I listed, that was after 20 some odd scams to try everything under the sun to get me to take a cashiers check, to download a verification app, (that sneaky app would have changed my email password), to ship it, to take payments, way too many scams!

All of the Facebook responders either bought or were at least real people and asked serious questions.

I'm not hip /popular enough to be on facebook, but the wife is, so I just used her account! :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had the same exact response, I listed 10 things for sale, only one craigslist person followed through and bought what I listed, that was after 20 some odd scams to try everything under the sun to get me to take a cashiers check, to download a verification app, (that sneaky app would have changed my email password), to ship it, to take payments, way too many scams!

All of the Facebook responders either bought or were at least real people and asked serious questions.

I'm not hip /popular enough to be on facebook, but the wife is, so I just used her account! :D
My wife is on face book as well and handled the responses really well. Took a page out of my book about being a smart a@@ when needed :D I was very proud of her :D Had a couple people wanting to make payments, and a couple people low balling by $2500. One asked if we would except $5000. She said no, we aren't taking payments. :D left him pretty flabbergasted :D She sent me screen shots of the conversation and me and my coworkers got a good chuckle.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Craigslst has become the centralized area for every thief trying to quickly move stolen product and every scammer trying to steal from people selling.

I've had to literally post a long paragraph on my craigslist posts that reads something like:

"I'm trying to sell this. I've been around the block selling things. Cash only, zero exceptions. I will not hold items. I will not fall for pay-back scams. I will not sell unless in person. If this post is here the item is for sale and I wont respond to inquiries asking. If we agree on a price and you show up and haggle you will be removed from my property. If none of this applies to you and you are looking to buy this item for the price I listed, contact me."

Anyone who violates any of those rules either gets a really short, nasty response or their email goes directly into the trash.

Frankly, the hassle is starting to outweigh the convenience and I've become less and less interested in having strangers come to my home. I use it to move unshippable and odd items. The weirder the item, the less scammers I notice.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Craigslst has become the centralized area for every thief trying to quickly move stolen product and every scammer trying to steal from people selling.

I've had to literally post a long paragraph on my craigslist posts that reads something like:

"I'm trying to sell this. I've been around the block selling things. Cash only, zero exceptions. I will not hold items. I will not fall for pay-back scams. I will not sell unless in person. If this post is here the item is for sale and I wont respond to inquiries asking. If we agree on a price and you show up and haggle you will be removed from my property. If none of this applies to you and you are looking to buy this item for the price I listed, contact me."

Anyone who violates any of those rules either gets a really short, nasty response or their email goes directly into the trash.

Frankly, the hassle is starting to outweigh the convenience and I've become less and less interested in having strangers come to my home. I use it to move unshippable and odd items. The weirder the item, the less scammers I notice.
lol yep. I hate dealing with craigslist people but everytime i sell something i usually get a good normal person that shows up and buys....eventually

I scrapped a bunch of old jeep parts because the jeep people I dealt with were by far the biggest idiots ever.

Heres a snippet from my recent boat ad:
"$7000 or BO. No time wasters or tire kickers. You either want it or you dont. Dont contact me unless you have cash in hand and a truck ready to haul it home. Txt or email only no calls at first. "

Also I use the sellers hassle to my advantage. When I make an offer to someone, i point out that i have cash in hand and will come right away so they can stop dealing with endless idiots.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I was just looking at Kijiji for pickups for sale. Came across a dealer add (that someone else obviously posted) and it said "F150 $1.00 Beware he rob me."

I looked at the reviews for said dealer on google. They were not good, LOL.