post hole digger storage

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Anyone have pictures of how you store your phd. Just purchased one and this thing is a bear to handle. I've got it tied off to a tree limb for now but looking for something better.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
They are a PITA! Mine is usually tied to a tree, but that doesn't work well. What MtnViewRanch has there looks like the best way to do it.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
How do you get it over the top beam? Is the beam removable then slides back in the slots? Thanks for the pictures.
Yes, the top beam just slides out. Hitch up, raise the hitch, pull the top beam out, drive away.

Just the opposite to remove.

This system works very well, there is no fighting the implement to get it attached and ready for use. ;)

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
Yes, the top beam just slides out. Hitch up, raise the hitch, pull the top beam out, drive away.

Just the opposite to remove.

This system works very well, there is no fighting the implement to get it attached and ready for use. ;)
I just ordered a PD25.... how does the stand work that land pride sells? Wish I could see it and could probably make one. I did read where they are a pain for one person to hookup up and unhook without a stand of some kind.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I just ordered a PD25.... how does the stand work that land pride sells? Wish I could see it and could probably make one. I did read where they are a pain for one person to hookup up and unhook without a stand of some kind.
Scroll down to page 26. That is the LP stand. Sort of costly as I remember and when you see it in person, sort of cheaply built in my opinion.

Yes, without some sort of stand or other way of holding the PHD, they would be a real pain to be putting on & off. There is a guy on another forum that simply gave up and sold his PHD. Said it was like dealing with an octopus. :eek:

Mind if I ask why you went with the PD25? Seems a bit over kill for your L3800. A PD15 would have served you well I would think. Or was the cost close, so better to go bigger? :confused:

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
Scroll down to page 26. That is the LP stand. Sort of costly as I remember and when you see it in person, sort of cheaply built in my opinion.

Yes, without some sort of stand or other way of holding the PHD, they would be a real pain to be putting on & off. There is a guy on another forum that simply gave up and sold his PHD. Said it was like dealing with an octopus. :eek:

Mind if I ask why you went with the PD25? Seems a bit over kill for your L3800. A PD15 would have served you well I would think. Or was the cost close, so better to go bigger? :confused:
Well, it is in the hp range for the tractor and I like to get the heavier duty or better built stuff when I can. Plus pretty much all the reviews or experiences with it, that I read were good....I went with it. I didnt compare prices. I am getting 9" & 12" augers with it and the down pressure kit.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Well, it is in the hp range for the tractor and I like to get the heavier duty or better built stuff when I can. Plus pretty much all the reviews or experiences with it, that I read were good....I went with it. I didnt compare prices. I am getting 9" & 12" augers with it and the down pressure kit.
Sounds good. Are you going to be drilling on slopes of any kind? I ask because if you are, a tilt cylinder for the hitch takes care of fooling with getting the auger plumb. ;)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Mntview, thanks for the pictures. It rains a lot in Ga, so an outside stand was not an option. I did take part of your idea with the cross bar. I took a
4x4 post 32 inches long, cut a slight depression in the center, put a hook on each end and hung it from one of the beams of my metal barn. Works just like you said, unhook on of the ends, let the post hang down, back the hoe into position, hook the post (cross beam) back up, let the digger back down to rest on the post and unhook and drive away. Turned an octupus into a pussy cat...

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Mntview, thanks for the pictures. It rains a lot in Ga, so an outside stand was not an option. I did take part of your idea with the cross bar. I took a
4x4 post 32 inches long, cut a slight depression in the center, put a hook on each end and hung it from one of the beams of my metal barn. Works just like you said, unhook on of the ends, let the post hang down, back the hoe into position, hook the post (cross beam) back up, let the digger back down to rest on the post and unhook and drive away. Turned an octupus into a pussy cat...
:cool: Simple and clean. There have been several people that took this idea and put it on a rolling cart and keep everything inside. If I kept everything inside, I would need a 10,000 foot shop, at least. :eek: Simply can't afford it. :(

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess it's a little late IPZ2222 but here's mine. It really works good when hooking up because I can shift the phd in any direction. One person can hook it up fairly easy.

I thru it together out of some scrap metal and after seeing the pics I guess some paint would have been in order. In this case it works better than it looks. :p

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Stored the Danuser using the old tried and true method, have it dig a hole and leave the PHD in it! Just disconnect and roll away. It stays upright and is easy to reconnect.

You could build a small roll around 'shed' or tent to go over it if you wanted it 'indoors'.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I can't lay claim to the concept. My father taught it to me. There's a hole in the ground just for it to sit in, don't have to dig it ever again. I haven't built the implement 'shed' yet but I have ideas on it.

I think I might be the only one with too many ideas for projects and not enough time to do them in. I'm sure all of you have all your projects done and completed... at least my wife assures me that other guys are caught up and I'm the only one behind...

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Well, the rock won. I coudln't get past it and couldn't break it. It did bend one of the spiral points on the auger. I'll move over a few feet and tryy again.