BX23S - Fuel filter upgrade and warranty?

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
Hello all.

Scheduled to have my new BX23S delivered tomorrow morning. There are a few things I would like to take care of early on so some things are on order.

Yesterday I asked the dealer a question that they could not answer to my satisfaction. Not a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Reading about potential issues on the Kubota standard fuel filters, I would like to replace the first filter with a fuel/water separator. Since we experience temperature ranges from -30F to over 100F, I just want to be safe, plus have it located for easier access.

Looking at a Parker Racor, so my question was: "If I do replace the first Kubota inline fuel filter with a 3rd party fuel/water separator, will it void the warranty?"

They could not give a definite answer, so I then asked: "If I replace filter 1 with a Kubota fuel/water separator, will that void the warranty?".

Again, no definitive answer.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think about this on a new or still under warranty Kubota, so hopefully someone can answer better than what I've received so far.

Thanks.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We have lots of temperature swings here as well. Having said that, I'm careful about what I pump into my tractors (I own 2 M's and possibly a 3rd shortly) and in the past 10 years, I've never changed the spin on filter because I had to, only at the service interval and I've never had anything in the in the clear seperator bowl, water or gunk. never. I'm careful about what I put in the fuel tanks.

I think you are being a bit too anal about a non-existent issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello all.

Scheduled to have my new BX23S delivered tomorrow morning. There are a few things I would like to take care of early on so some things are on order.

Yesterday I asked the dealer a question that they could not answer to my satisfaction. Not a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Reading about potential issues on the Kubota standard fuel filters, I would like to replace the first filter with a fuel/water separator. Since we experience temperature ranges from -30F to over 100F, I just want to be safe, plus have it located for easier access.

Looking at a Parker Racor, so my question was: "If I do replace the first Kubota inline fuel filter with a 3rd party fuel/water separator, will it void the warranty?"

They could not give a definite answer, so I then asked: "If I replace filter 1 with a Kubota fuel/water separator, will that void the warranty?".

I'm sure I'm not the first to think about this on a new or still under warranty Kubota, so hopefully someone can answer better than what I've received so far.

Thanks.
I think if you read the warranty, it will say something to the effect of any alterations to original equipment can void the warranty, so yes adding aftermarket filters can "void the warranty".

Is it a good choice, yea, but the problems that your stating are not a huge concern, or kubota would have redesigned the system. ;)

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
Thanks for the feedback NIW and SidecarFlip.

It's been over 30 years since I've been in the "tractor world". Moved off the farm when I joined the Army and just getting back to it.

We always had f/w separators on the farm equipment but also the smallest thing we had then was a Ford 8N.

Since I'll be getting fuel at our local Murphy station into 5 gal jugs for a while, just want to be careful.

I also know that on the internet, it's easy to hear about all the bad things that happen, but not so much the non-bad normal stuff.

Thanks again.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I use a product called "Mini Water Worm" to absorb water from fuel tanks. It is a fabric sock containing a desiccant attached to a long string. Drop it in the tank, tie the string off outside the tank and check periodically. As it absorbs water, the desiccant swells to fill the sock. Replace when full.

I get them online from a place called "H2O Control". For some reason, they don't advertise the mini version, but when I contacted them by e-mail they did have a small version suitable for my tractor's fuel tank. The link to the full size version (which I have used for many years in my home heating oil tank) is here:

http://www.h2ocontrol.com/productsWaterWorm.php

Guaranteed not to void your warranty. :D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a good funnel called Mr funnel that has a water separator built in. They come in different flow rates so you may want to look online for one. The normal one has one filter and is limiting the flow out of a normal fuel can nozzle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
There is a good funnel called Mr funnel that has a water separator built in. They come in different flow rates so you may want to look online for one. The normal one has one filter and is limiting the flow out of a normal fuel can nozzle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have one but I rarely use it. Only time I use it is if I field fuel from another farmers pickup truck tank and it's questionable. My problem with the funnel is, not all the fuel empties out of it so you always wind up dumping the excess in the funnel on the ground. Kills grass, thats about it.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Hello all.

Thanks.
My New Holland has both a filter/water separator AND a fuel filter. The water separator has a coarse filter(IIRC 20 micron) with a drain at the bottom and the fuel filter has a fine filter (IIRC 10 micron) with a drain.

If you do put on a single water separator/fuel filter make sure the filter is fine enough to protect the injection system.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The problem with the BX's is not so much the filters themselves, but their accessibility (or lack thereof). The front one is no problem, the rear one a completely different story, and worse if the little tractor has a belly mower. On the TLB BX's, it's easy enough to drop the deck (if it has one) and then use the loader bucket then the outriggers to lift the tractor high enough to make it easier to get at (be sure to use jackstands!). But those of us with non TLB's, they're a real bear to get at.

I certainly wish they'd do something different....HOWEVER, the BX chassis is so tiny that there's no good place to put a traditional filter/separator without it being in the way of something else, or without it getting knocked off by trail debris. That honestly is the biggest issue of all of the BX's...too small...and many ask too much of the little lawn mower.

Warranty statement does include non-approved modifications in their lists of exclusions. I may ask our service rep next time I see him how Kubota feels about this fuel filter issue.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The inline filters on my ZD mowers are the same as the BX, although not as difficult to access. I got tired of replacing the first filter (several times a season) because of their small capacity. I replaced #1 with a large Cat spin on filter with a 2 micron rating.
Both of these mowers are well out of warranty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Here is an upgrade that won't affect your warranty, and it will prevent a lot of primary fuel filter problems and fuel tank outlet blockages. This one is home made from a chinesium tea strainer and keeps debris out of the tank.

Attachments

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I bought a fuel filter relocation kit from an ebay seller called botasandy. It replaces that primary filter that is so hard to get to with a much larger one that is relocated on the side of the frame just in front of the loader mount. It works slick. Unfortunately, I just checked and this item is no longer available from the seller. Too bad.

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
Here is an upgrade that won't affect your warranty, and it will prevent a lot of primary fuel filter problems and fuel tank outlet blockages. This one is home made from a chinesium tea strainer and keeps debris out of the tank.
I like that for debris.

I'm still debating on a Mr. Funnel.

Thanks for all the feedback.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I"m not a lawyer but I believe if you make a design change to your equipment the mfr'r will have to prove that particular change is what caused the problem for which you wish to claim a warranty repair.

The problem is... the argument can cost you so much in time and money to fight that it's simply not worth it.

If water in your fuel gets past the Kubota design (which IS designed to trap water, by the way,) then you have an excellent warranty claim against the faulty design Kubota stuck you with...which IS the point of a warranty, after all.

goldnrod24

Equipment
BX-1880
Dec 11, 2017
Frankfort, MI, USA
Reactions: 1 user