GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Don't any of you guys watch TV?

FLEX-SEAL as seen on TV.

I have no idea if that stuff is really any good but am hoping someone besides me will try it and let us know. :D

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
The roof repair is done. It is ugly, but the hole is patched and painted and now we will see if it stays put.
While I can make any wood working project look like new, unfortunately my resin/fiberglassing skills are limited and the fix shows it.
What no picture? Not to critique the beauty of it, but to see how big the damage was.

How about a link to the G-Flex epoxy.

Hope the repair holds up. If they do others can learn from your repairs.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Please be kind with flaming my non-finish grade work.
The first shot is location on roof
second is shot up and into the cabin filter housing.
3rd and 4th are exterior
The break was larger than the cabin filter opening; roughly 12 inches long, 6 inches wide and very irregular
I used Krylon Fusion safety orange paint recommended by West Systems, not even close to Kubota orange and the roof is more pink than orange anyway.

Attachments

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for posting the link and photos.

FYI... The second photo seems to be out of focus.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Thanks for posting the link and photos.

FYI... The second photo seems to be out of focus.

I stuck the camera inside the cabin filter opening so the resolution and focus are poor.
The lighter, reverse C- shaped area surrounding the dark center is the actual break area.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since you like wood work I assume you can tolerate sanding. The material you used should be sandable so you may want to see if you can smooth it out with a sander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Since you like wood work I assume you can tolerate sanding. The material you used should be sandable so you may want to see if you can smooth it out with a sander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is true, only I would have to build up all the low/irregular/rough FG areas with more of the epoxy and at $40/quart, I can put up with some ugly.
As long as the epoxy stays bonded to the cab plastic, I have accomplished the goal of a permanent watertight repair.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They say when you have nothing good to say say nothing......

Crickets....:D

Seriously not bad, it's hard to work with that stuff if you've never done it, it kind of has a mind all it's own.

I too hope it holds for ya... otherwise were going to have to start a fundraising campaign to get you a new roof! ;)
I make some killer cupcakes! :p

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
They say when you have nothing good to say say nothing......

Crickets....:D

Seriously not bad, it's hard to work with that stuff if you've never done it, it kind of has a mind all it's own.

I too hope it holds for ya... otherwise were going to have to start a fundraising campaign to get you a new roof! ;)
I make some killer cupcakes! :p
Wolf, coming from you I take that as a compliment;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm just curious. You have used a product that should hopefully seal the leak, so could you use a different product on top of that to smooth out for better appearance? Or will that also be a problem with them not attaching to each other?

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I'm just curious. You have used a product that should hopefully seal the leak, so could you use a different product on top of that to smooth out for better appearance? Or will that also be a problem with them not attaching to each other?

That is my concern.
I don't know if it is compatible with other type resins or if it requires their specific type of $$$$epoxy.
I will use my tractor over the next few months and see if the patch stays attached.
If it does stay fixed, I might try some additional repairs.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Consulted Messick's for the price of a new roof:

ROOF (OUTER) 3C581-71512 $1,074.54

Interesting enough they have one in stock.

I can understand why the OP is trying to fix the damage and applaud his effort to try and fix it. If it works long term, I'm certain others will need and appreciate his effort.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
You should be able to sand it down, but it's on the roof so who cares.. Only people that know about it are you and the select few here. Lol.

My uncle had to do some patch work on his grandson's front bumper.. He ended up drilling holes and lacing everything together with zip ties before using the fiberglass putty mix. After it was all dried, he cut the zip ties, patched the holes and sanded it smooth. After paint, you couldn't even tell unless you look at the back of the bumper.