What fuel to use

Bucky Badger

Equipment
BX2660
Mar 17, 2017
Madison
Hi guys, I have a 2012 Bx2660. I don't use it a whole lot yet, but when I do I fill it at the local gas station. Just wondering if there is any kind of Diesel fuel I have to stay away from that's not intended for a BX tractor in case I have to fill up in an unfamiliar place

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Anyplace that sells No. 2 diesel, either on or off-road is fine, but avoid anything with more than 10% Biodiesel if possible. (The less Biodiesel the better. Some Owners Manuals I’ve read warn about it.)

Fatfenders

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, LX2980 64" Commercial Snow Blower, FEL w/60" QA bucket, BB1260 Box
Dec 1, 2019
Tomahawk, WI
I'm in Monona. For my F-250, I always get my diesel fuel at Cenex near Menards. All Monona City trucks and many local companies get fuel there. My point, get fuel at a station that goes through a lot and you see commercial guys filling up all the time. Much more likely to get quality, uncontaminated fuel.

Bucky Badger

Equipment
BX2660
Mar 17, 2017
Madison
I'm in Monona. For my F-250, I always get my diesel fuel at Cenex near Menards. All Monona City trucks and many local companies get fuel there. My point, get fuel at a station that goes through a lot and you see commercial guys filling up all the time. Much more likely to get quality, uncontaminated fuel.

Thx I go past there often

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Anyplace that sells No. 2 diesel, either on or off-road is fine, but avoid anything with more than 10% Biodiesel if possible. (The less Biodiesel the better. Some Owners Manuals I’ve read warn about it.)
Bio Diesel is like ethanol gas, both bad ju-ju. Least with bio diesel you have a choice, the e-gas, not so much

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just stay away from places that don't sell much fuel. The more the store sells the better the fuel is going to be in most cases.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Also, do not buy fuel in the warm weather and then try and use it in the coldest weather.

Diesel blends are adjusted for the climate where they are being sold. They are adjusted as the seasons change.

Every winter on this forum there are owners suffering from fuel gelling and when questioned they usually have poured in fuel they bought in the early fall.

Dave

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Also, do not buy fuel in the warm weather and then try and use it in the coldest weather.

Diesel blends are adjusted for the climate where they are being sold. They are adjusted as the seasons change.

Every winter on this forum there are owners suffering from fuel gelling and when questioned they usually have poured in fuel they bought in the early fall.

Dave
Excellent Point Dave!!!! I knew that, but slipped my old mind. Glad you threw that in there! I now consider you to be the POST WINNER today!!!! ;)

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
You folks do know, that there are fuel filters on all station pumps, right? I do believe there are laws regulations on how often these pump filters have to be changed at all stations. You`re more likely to contaminate your own fuel much worse and faster before any filling station does.

I think people worry to much about fill-up`s during fuel dumps. So with saying that... everybody says buy your fuel at the place that sells the most fuel per day, your fuel will be fresher. Ok, so hows that work when they are filling the in ground tanks everyday but yet some of you tell people not to buy fuel when they are dumping fuel. Just makes no sense telling people not to buy fuel while its getting delivered. That`s like damned if you do damned if you dont.

Stop worrying about when the tanker trucks dump the fuel. Your worrying about much of nothing. Its filtered when its coming out of the station pumps! And you have filters on your trucks, tractors, cars.

Whenever i had fuel delivered, it was company policy to climb up on top the tankers and make sure all the fuel had been emptied completely... and guess what, every tanker i ever looked down inside of, clean and shiny, not a spec of water, or dirt, or any kind of debris inside those tankers.

The biggest concern i`ve always seen in my years of gas station employment, gas and diesel fuel being accidentally getting unloaded in the wrong tanks. Two ways that can happen (and does all the time), depot screwed up during loading the tankers, and the other one is, the delivery truck driver stuck the hose in the wrong filling hole at the gas station.

Other than that, there are much worse concerns to worry about than when tankers dump the fuel.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Hi guys, I have a 2012 Bx2660. I don't use it a whole lot yet, but when I do I fill it at the local gas station. Just wondering if there is any kind of Diesel fuel I have to stay away from that's not intended for a BX tractor in case I have to fill up in an unfamiliar place
For starters you might want to consider what your owners manual states:

Fuel:
A Cetane number of 45 is minimum. Cetane number greater than 50 is preferred, especially for temperatures below -20 (-4 ) or elevations above 1500 m (5000 ft).
A Diesel fuels specified to EN 590 or ASTM D975 are recommended.
A No.2-D is a distillate fuel of lower volatility for engines in industrial and heavy mobile service. (SAE J313 JUN87)

On a different page:
No. 2-D diesel fuel
No. 1-D diesel fuel if temperature is below
-10C (14F )

Good luck trying to find the recommended cetane rating in the USA.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You folks do know, that there are fuel filters on all station pumps, right? I do believe there are laws regulations on how often these pump filters have to be changed at all stations. You`re more likely to contaminate your own fuel much worse and faster before any filling station does.

I think people worry to much about fill-up`s during fuel dumps. So with saying that... everybody says buy your fuel at the place that sells the most fuel per day, your fuel will be fresher. Ok, so hows that work when they are filling the in ground tanks everyday but yet some of you tell people not to buy fuel when they are dumping fuel. Just makes no sense telling people not to buy fuel while its getting delivered. That`s like damned if you do damned if you dont.

Stop worrying about when the tanker trucks dump the fuel. Your worrying about much of nothing. Its filtered when its coming out of the station pumps! And you have filters on your trucks, tractors, cars.

Whenever i had fuel delivered, it was company policy to climb up on top the tankers and make sure all the fuel had been emptied completely... and guess what, every tanker i ever looked down inside of, clean and shiny, not a spec of water, or dirt, or any kind of debris inside those tankers.

The biggest concern i`ve always seen in my years of gas station employment, gas and diesel fuel being accidentally getting unloaded in the wrong tanks. Two ways that can happen (and does all the time), depot screwed up during loading the tankers, and the other one is, the delivery truck driver stuck the hose in the wrong filling hole at the gas station.

Other than that, there are much worse concerns to worry about than when tankers dump the fuel.
So your points are delivery trucks are spick and span clean. The fuel is filter at the station pumps. All vehicles have fuel filters.

I can tell you a story about a diesel truck with less then 2,000 miles on it, filled up with fuel, coughed and died down the road, towed in to dealer, contaminated fuel.

What didn't work, the delivery truck, the station filter, or the vehicle filter? I don't think it was the new truck's fuel filter. So I refuse filling up when I see the delivery truck there.

I believe the fuel unloading process stirs up anything in the storage tank and obviously some station filters are inadequate.

joeybealis

Equipment
L4701
Just a little tip. Do not store fuel if you do not have to. Get fresh fuel every time and check your fuel containers. I have found feathers, lizards, frogs, leaves, acorns, and so much more in fuel tanks. It is not worth saving a dollar on fuel now and replacing a injection pump later.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have found feathers, lizards, frogs, leaves, acorns, and so much more in fuel tanks.
You need some better fuel tanks... The ones with lids or caps that close would work better for you! ;)

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa

I know a local farmer who owns multiple big JD tractors got several all at once that had water in the gasoline. He traced it back to the fuel pump. We are in a rural area, and the off road diesel at some of these stations sits there a while. Many tractor owners here I know run regular highway diesel, even though they pay a little more for it simply because of this issue. The farmer I mentioned ended up draining all his tractors tanks and fuel lines.

Ive noticed at some pumps here locally that some of the diesel pumps have a sticker that claims it contains X% of biodiesel, while others have no such sticker anywhere on the pump. These stickers are supposed tobe mandated by law, so Ive never been for sure if the ones missing the sticker are different diesel's or not. I buy my diesel at one of the locations that has no sticker about bio diesel on the pump. I suspect it likely has the same blend as others but I really have no Idea. I add a cetane booster, and a little additive to prevent algae growth in the fuel.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

The trash doesn't come from the tankers it gets stirred up from the bottom of the storage tanks as the fuel is being pumped in. As far as filters go I've seen filters removed from the station pumps because they were stopped up and have a empty can screwed back on so they could continue to sell.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Been many times we have had multiple trucks towed in that died after fueling up, and they always are contaminated with water/debris. Always ask if the tanker was there filling up and 9 times out of ten its yes. Had one time the tanker put gas in the diesel tank, good day for us! Bad day for the gas station.

A couple months ago I was filling up my truck and I noticed a GMC at another pump filling up. The station only had diesel at one pump and not the pump he was at. As he walked in the store I noticed it was a duramax. I stopped him on his way out and said its probably best you don’t start that truck and call a tow truck. He looked at me funny, probably thought I was just being an ass cause I was in my ford uniform. I said hate to tell you, but you just filled that truck with gas. He was wasn’t happy but at least he didnt drive off and destroy the fuel system.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Look inside your 5 gallon can and watch the stuff in the can besides the diesel. I went to using one of those funnels with the filter built in to it. If nothing else it makes me feel better.

I have a 2004 Duramax with 425,000 miles and it was eating injectors for lunch. I started to change the filters on every other oil change and the injector problems went away. I now use an 2007 Duramax with 260,000 miles and change the fuel filter on every other oil change. I have not had an injector problem on the truck. Knock on wood. But that $45 per filter does hurt.