R3 or R4 tires on L3901?

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Industrial or Agricultural tires on L3901?

Hello,

I'm pulling the trigger on trading in our BX2370 for a L3901. We will be using the tractor for haying, pulling a water cart, discing, and plowing snow (blade). I need to select tires. Do I go with the Industrial or Agricultural? We will not be driving across our grass, but do go up and down our gravel driveway to get to our fields. If it matters, we are having rimguard ballast put in the tires. If it didn't tear up the driveway, I'd probably lean towards the agricultural. They are also quite a bit cheaper. Our dealer said that 75% of them go out the door with industrial, regardless of primary use.

We had the industrial ones on our last one, but that tractor couldn't perform in a number of areas and I don't know how much of that to place on the tires.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would think that the R3 tires are a BIG part of your problem. I would think that they would be next to worthless in the hay field. I used a small MF 1528 to do hay with the R4 tires on it. It worked the hay without any problems. Someone else will need to help you with the snow. A set of chains would make the snow work doable. Make sure you load the tire for the field work.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Re: Industrial or Agricultural tires on L3901?

Just to help clear this up.
R1 is commonly called ag tires
R3 is turf tires
R4 is industrial tread.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota

Just to help clear this up.
R1 is commonly called ag tires
R3 is turf tires
R4 is industrial tread.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the clarification. Indeed I had the numbers mixed up. I edited my post with description instead of numbers.

Thanks!

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri

Thank you for the clarification. Indeed I had the numbers mixed up. I edited my post with description instead of numbers.

Thanks!
If your not going to be worried about the yard I would highly suggest R1s especially if you are discing. R4s are not good in mud period. I know from experience.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Unless your doing donuts in the driveway, R1 aren't going to hurt the driveway.
R4's are pretty much worthless in mud, slick anything, soft dirt, sand.

R1's are better than R4's in snow, R4 with chains are better than R1's with chains, but they are heavy chains, if your snow use is mild I would still stay with the R1's.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Hello,

I'm pulling the trigger on trading in our BX2370 for a L3901. We will be using the tractor for haying, pulling a water cart, discing, and plowing snow (blade). I need to select tires. Do I go with the Industrial or Agricultural? We will not be driving across our grass, but do go up and down our gravel driveway to get to our fields. If it matters, we are having rimguard ballast put in the tires. If it didn't tear up the driveway, I'd probably lean towards the agricultural. They are also quite a bit cheaper. Our dealer said that 75% of them go out the door with industrial, regardless of primary use.

We had the industrial ones on our last one, but that tractor couldn't perform in a number of areas and I don't know how much of that to place on the tires.

Thanks!
I too recommend R-1 tires in your case, especially since you contemplate discing.

Neither R-4s nor R-3s will pull the hat off of your head.

SDT

Last edited:

Timmer92

Equipment
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
R1's are better than R4's in snow, R4 with chains are better than R1's with chains, but they are heavy chains, if your snow use is mild I would still stay with the R1's.
Forgive my ignorance, but I have some follow up questions. I will be plowing concrete slab in front of my garage and shed. I have not used chains to date as I assumed they couldn't be used on concrete? My shed also has a concrete floor and I have always heard you can't park on concrete either. Is this correct?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Forgive my ignorance, but I have some follow up questions. I will be plowing concrete slab in front of my garage and shed. I have not used chains to date as I assumed they couldn't be used on concrete? My shed also has a concrete floor and I have always heard you can't park on concrete either. Is this correct?
You can drive and park anywhere you want, just dont be surprised if your polished floors get scuffed with the chains. Avoid spinning the tires if you mind scuffs.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Tire chains can damage both asphalt and concrete in some situations if one does not use common sense.

Some types of tire chains are very damaging to paved surfaces whereas other types are much more forgiving. I would recommend that you visit tirechains.com to learn just about everything you might want to know about tire chains.

Whether you need tire chains to plow snow depends upon many things. If using a back blade, you will certainly need chains to plow anything but light snow if your areas are not flat. The need for chains is much reduced if using a properly set up and operated front mounted plow, as the area is cleared of snow before the tires pass.

You will also need rear ballast, preferably a heavy ballast box, if using a front mounted plow.

You can park your tractor on concrete with tire chains installed but you might get some rust stains.

SDT

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I would never go with R3 Turf Tires on a tractor, so Id rule them out immediately.

You mention R4 industrial tires didn't do well on your BX. I would simply add that your BX is a MUCH lighter tractor than you will have in the L3901. Weight plays probably the biggest role in traction when you're talking about pulling something like a disc harrow.

I personally run an L2501, which is very similar to the L3901 you will be getting. It is the same body, same Hydraulics, just a little less engine horsepower. The L3901 4wd HST weights only 155 lbs more than my L2501, so very similar tractors. I went with R4 Industrial tires on mine. I have an oversized Disc Harrow and pull it with no problem. I work in sandy soil here in north florida. I also do a lot of box blading. My big project Ive been working on since buying my tractor is clearing woods and turning it into yard. A big conversion of landscape. Lots of root raking, pushing tree tops into piles, box blading to level, and then running disc harrow over the area followed by eventual grass seed planting. The R4 tires have performed very well for me. R1's are a little more aggressive, can potentially rut your yard if you ever plan to drive across it, as I do a lot, and have less overall rubber in the tire. I tend to recommend R4's just because of the versatility, but if you plan to work exclusively in the field, or away from your home yard, and just want maximum traction the R1 may be better.

Timmer92

Equipment
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. Here is what I think I'm gathering, please correct me if you have an alternate opinion.

It sounds like the R1 Ags will have more traction in all conditions, including snow, and are likely a bigger requirement if I'm discing. If I don't go across my yard, then they are the way to go.

I'm pushing snow with a blade, so rear weight is important. I'm having them put Rimguard (beet juice) in the tires, and I also am inheriting a 3 pt ballast box that I could use as well if necessary.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. Here is what I think I'm gathering, please correct me if you have an alternate opinion.

It sounds like the R1 Ags will have more traction in all conditions, including snow, and are likely a bigger requirement if I'm discing. If I don't go across my yard, then they are the way to go.

I'm pushing snow with a blade, so rear weight is important. I'm having them put Rimguard (beet juice) in the tires, and I also am inheriting a 3 pt ballast box that I could use as well if necessary.
Yep you got it right. ;)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta

If it is traction and maneuverability that is your goal then R1's are the pick! Gotta admit though, on the L tractor those R4's look cooler!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
If it is traction and maneuverability that is your goal then R1's are the pick! Gotta admit though, on the L tractor those R4's look cooler!
The R4's do look better imo, and they have more rubber in the tire. There is more ground contact area with the R4. Its a smooth ride on hard compacted ground or even cemet/asphalt. R1 tires are thinner, and have the more aggressive tread design. For a full on agriculture tractor warking a farm I would definitely go R1. For a utility tractor that does a lot of various tasks, front loader work, and on various ground conditions I prefer the R4. Ive had no problem pulling my big 76", 705lb disc harrow on my little L2501 with R4's. It is oversized for the tractor and exceeds the recommendation for disc harrows for this tractor but it pulls it fine.

Timmer92

Equipment
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I was wishy washy right up to signing the deal. I went with R1's. We'll see if I have any regrets.