BX2750 Snow Blower Gear Lube

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I last drained my snow blower gear box, I refilled it with 80-90W gear lube. Today, while watching a video about rebuilding snow blower gear box's, the person in the video suggested using "0 0" gear lube. Never heard of it before, but did do a Google search and found out that it is sold at Tractor Supply. It sells for $5.29 for a quart. Here is what Tractor Supply has to say about it.
Super S Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00 is a smooth textured, corrosion preventive grease manufactured with a special low viscosity, low pour point base oil with a lithium thickener, as well as rust and oxidation inhibitors. It is recommended for industrial and agricultural applications calling for a low consistency product with low operating temperature properties. Super S NLGI 00 Grease meets or exceeds the John Deere JDN-360 and JDN-380 specific cautions for cotton picker spindle lubricants. It is widely used in gearboxes on bush hog type cutters and some gear cases on riding lawn mowers.
What are your thoughts?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds like corn head grease to me. I'd stick with 90 weight gear oil if I were you.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The NLGI grease classes range from 000 - 6, with lower numbers being more fluid-like. Most grease applications call for NLGI 1 or 2 (ball joints, bearings, pins, etc).

I have only used gear oil in gear boxes, but have read of people using grease in boxes to resolve leaking seal problems, and they usually refer to it as "corn head grease". If I had problematic seal issues I would likely use the corn head grease, as it doesn't take long to trash an expensive gear box that has leaked out the gear oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Kubota tech put 00 grease in the mid mount mower deck for my B 2650. Rationale: regular gear oil, by the time you can detect a leak your gear box is toast as it is not visible when the deck is installed. Unless you take deck off every time you use it this is safer. Need to take off the cover to fill and check the grease every so often, but won't disappear in 15 minutes like oil.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I forgot to mention that the 80-90W gear lube that I used was GL4, since the GL5 had additives that are reported to have attacked the brass synchronizers in 4 speed gear boxes. I know that the gear box of a snow blower doesn't have synchronizers, but it does have a large and expensive brass gear, so I chose to err on the side of caution.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I tend not to try and out guess the engineers who made the equipment I buy. I don't even try to think I know better than them...... so I would say stick with AGMA 5EP 80w-90 gear oil or equiv.

and side note, temps snowblowers work in vastly diff. than cotton pickers and brush hogs most of the time so going thicker would worry me.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The grease often referred to as corn head grease, and similar weights of various brands, are primarily used when a seal is leaking on an implement that is used infrequently. The CH grease provides the lubrication during the period of use, later if it leaks out it's simple replaced the next time the implement is used.

I have a 45 year old post hold digger. Was actually sold by Montgomery Ward. Used it on my B8200. But it sets for years and the shaft seal leaks. I just put some corn head grease in and use it. Then it sets for a few more years. Oh, it started leaking after it was loaned out!! It's not worth my time to fix the seal.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I think it's called 'corn head grease' because every grain table I've seen leaks grease. If they aren't leaking, they are dry.:D