Is the Bigtoolrack Worth It?

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Big Tool Rack (www.bigtoolrack.com). A lot the guys with compact tractor Youtube show them in their videos (I'm going to guess they might have gotten them for free, but I don't know).

It seems like something that could be really useful, but it also seems like something that could get pushed back into my garage, as I wouldn't be able to bring it with me anytime I have an implement on the back of the tractor.

I searched the forum and really only found one post from someone who was ecstatic about his, and a bunch of comments from people saying it was too expensive.

Anyone care to kick out some more feedback on these?

I'll say one very positive thing: I've emailed the company a few times and the owner is very quick and responsive with communication.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It appears on every local Craigslist ad that I seen when searching "Kubota" on Craigslist and nearby locations. Personally, I couldn't see a reason to buy one, and I did read the "glowing" review from one member of these forums. There is one for sale on Craigslist for $699 in Morris CT, pick up only and it is listed as a "demo unit". https://nwct.craigslist.org/fod/d/morris-bigtoolrack-xphd-demo-unit/7014498631.html

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
They look like it would be handy. I can't get past the price myself. Several members have started with a inexpensive carryall and built there own for a fraction of the cost. Maybe not quite the same but does the same job. I don't have either one myself so I'm definatly not a expert. If money isn't a issue and you don't want to build your own I think you would like it.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
They look like it would be handy. I can't get past the price myself. Several members have started with a inexpensive carryall and built there own for a fraction of the cost. Maybe not quite the same but does the same job. I don't have either one myself so I'm definatly not a expert. If money isn't a issue and you don't want to build your own I think you would like it.
+1

For the person with too much cash laying around. If I need tools I put them in the bucket.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If it suits your needs and it floats your boat then buy it!

My personal preferences wont necessarily work for you. I tend to modify my attachments to handle my needs I.e. I added mounts for a pole saw, bypass shears, small tools on my chipper. I also added mounts on my loader bucket for things like long handled shovels, rakes and pitch forks so I can use the bucket and carry tools for the job.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Would I like one? Yes. Do I think they are priced a little high? Yes. Right now my money is going towards other implements/tools and maybe someday I will have one. I use the bucket, but I have already covered my tools once with dirt forgetting that I had put them in there and scooped up a load of dirt.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Would I like one? Yes. Do I think they are priced a little high? Yes. Right now my money is going towards other implements/tools and maybe someday I will have one. I use the bucket, but I have already covered my tools once with dirt forgetting that I had put them in there and scooped up a load of dirt.
What do you have on the back of your tractor normally? For myself I would normally have another attachment on the back or I would want my ballast box for loader work. I am currently planning on installing tool holders into my ballast box prior to filling it with cement. This will allow me to have what I need along with decent weight for loader or grapple work.

That said, for me the price is just too much

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
What do you have on the back of your tractor normally? For myself I would normally have another attachment on the back or I would want my ballast box for loader work. I am currently planning on installing tool holders into my ballast box prior to filling it with cement. This will allow me to have what I need along with decent weight for loader or grapple work.

That said, for me the price is just too much
Most of this year, I had my rotary mower on. I learned after the incident, the mower makes a better carry than the bucket. Right now, I have nothing on, had the tractor in the shop for 50 hour service and install of the 3rd function valve. The wrong valve was shipped to the dealer, waiting for new valve so i can take the tractor back, so running it naked right now.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yeesh I thought $700 was way overpriced but website says $1500 !!!
Sorry, but I can make one(ok not as 'pretty'), for less than $200 and 3-4 hours of my time or spend less at HF for one of those '2" rcvr cargo carriers'.
I'm not even converting to Canucks either( ADD 30%+).
Hmm, I'd have to remove the BH from my BX23S as well...oopsy....:(

While it 'looks' like a useful 'all-in-one' toolbox, I have to pass however if it does what YOU need it to do, by all means buy it.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
An IBC tote with the tank removed, $60 craigslist, and a carry all, $160 Rural King or TSC, https://www.ruralking.com/rk-carry-all and make what you need for a lot less then $1500. If you are handy with a welder forget the carry all and make a hitch on the tote. I am just to cheap to pay $1500 for something that would be a fun winter project.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
An IBC tote with the tank removed, $60 craigslist, and a carry all, $160 Rural King or TSC, https://www.ruralking.com/rk-carry-all and make what you need for a lot less then $1500. If you are handy with a welder forget the carry all and make a hitch on the tote. I am just to cheap to pay $1500 for something that would be a fun winter project.
I think their BF sale made it closer to $1300, but it was still just too much for me. However, I did learn that my Kubota dealer might be able to wrap it into my (forever extending) tractor purchase. Kubota liked the Bigtoolrack enough that they buy them in Kubota colors and sell them in their catalog. Waiting to hear the price.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
...................However, I did learn that my Kubota dealer might be able to wrap it into my (forever extending) tractor purchase.......................
I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions, but would have to believe that the cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of what it would be from the manufacturer. So the cost would be either $1,500 up front or $1,500 divided by the months for the length of the loan.

Your original question was whether the BTR was worth the price. My answer would be no, not for me. I only have 3-1/2 acres. It's never a long trip to go for mixed gas or a shovel if I'm caught unprepared. During mowing season I do transport the trimmer and blower to the neighbor's place. On one RFM I use a couple Quick Fist grips for the trimmer and the blower tube stuffs into the mower framework. On the larger deck I use a couple of bungee balls to hold things on till I get there.

As some have already mentioned, the BTR would have to take the place of an implement on the 3PH. Besides, having a tractor that resembles something Jed Clampett would drive to "Californy" isn't for me.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Had never heard of it until this thread, but checked it out. Website looks nice. products looks interesting, until I looked at the prices..... Way over priced for what it is. $1500 for the carry all? really? That is borderline insane if you ask me. I know it says its made of steel, not sheet metal, but it looks like thin sheet metal in the pictures. I would never buy this, just far too expensive. If I wanted something like this, I would buy a carry all like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-carry-all?cm_vc=-10005 and then modify it with wood or a little welding. You could build something yourself in the frame of this carry all and spend 1/4 of the money. The primary feature of the the thing is the big storage bed. That is easily replicated with a carry all modified with a floor, and sides. It would be simple to build, and you could build it to easily hold more than what this thing does. All the little hooks and holders along the top could be mimic'd for cheap as well. I suspect the youtbers are definitely getting it for free to show it off on their channels as a deal. Im just surprised its $1500. I feel like it should be about half that. This is geared for people who own little BX or B tractors - small acreage, fairly new to tractors, but typically well off, hence why they own a tractor on small acerage. They will find something like this really neat. I think to the true rural folks who grew up around tractors and farming and who may also happen to own a small tractor, they will look at this and think its way over priced for what it is. Its geared for the "new tractor buyer" that is coming into the market right now.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey guys, you'all are complaining about the price! It comes with all those tools on it....that's not that bad, is it? Even if you don't use them, they are right there handy.:D:D

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I have found a receiver hitch, fold up, cargo carrier ($20 at a yard sale) works well with with my 3pt receiver hitch trailer mover.

Carries chain saw, gas, oil, tools, 20mm ammo can bolted to the cargo carrier for small items.

Like said.. About $75 for a 3pt draw bar and receiver adapter.
Yard sale, $20 cargo carrier.
On sale 20mm ammo can, $20....
Some bolts, nuts, washers... $5 I'd guess.

But then.... I'm a cheap old SOB....

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Stupidly over priced to start, then if you are in Canada, you get screwed over again @ Tractor Supply. Designed, built and marketed for the "Yuppie" week end yard warrior.

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Hello Chimpy wrench.
I have owned a JD 3320 for 12 years and am now purchasing a Kubota B2650 with the cab. Weather permitting, the B2650 gets delivered tomorrow.

I looked over the BTR, hemmed and hawed and thought of the price. Yes, a lot of money. But then I thought of why this tool is helpful for me.

In the summer, I throw the weed whacker, fuel, leaf blower, etc., into the bucket of the tractor. I can tell you from experience, riding on a hill with this stuff in the loader bucket has issues such as the leaf blower and weed whacker moving and getting fuel in the bucket. Or having something fall out because I hit a bump. And then I have to take out everything I put in the bucket.

I see the utility of the BTR and ordered one. With the quick hitch, taking the BTR on and off is easy. I can leave the tools in the BTR for use the next time. Also, I can take a handheld mower or a snow blower around the property pretty easily; a lot more so than if I did not have this on the back of the tractor.

I can also now leave the loader off which makes mowing in the summer a lot easier. The loader on the B2650 appears to be easy to take off and then put back on, so when I need the loader to move dirt, etc, it will be re-attached just for those chores.

I think the price for the BTR is reasonable considering the utility of this equipment. I just spent over $38,000 on a tractor and the money for this tool rack compared to other accessories I am paying for, for me, is reasonable.

I do not have the time, the ability, or the knowledge to make a tool rack like the BTR, so I gladly pay someone who had the wisdom to make this tool.

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
FYI. I own 90 acres of land that includes a runway, hangars, lawns, etc. I've owned a Case 1840 skid steer, a 977 bulldozer, a huge loader ,dump trucks, airplanes, etc., and I think the BTR is pretty awesome and will help me manage my property.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wow, we must live in different Worlds...
If I paid 38K for a tractor, that tool rack would have been tossed in for free. Really, the dealer cost is maybe 2% of your tractor purchase price so there's no way he'd turn down the sale.
That being said , there are several ,lower cost alternatives, to the over priced ,probably made in China 'carry-all'. Sure clue it's not Made in USA will be Metric nuts and bolts.
I understand not everyone has a welder or 'turns wrenches' but... if you're using a tractor, ya gotta be a little 'handy'...so why not save several hundred dollars !