B2650 Chippers

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
What chipper are you using with your B2650? How do you like it? Pros/cons? What size and type of material have you run through it?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Woodland Mills WC68. Up to 6" green poplar, 4" green hardwood like maple, before any sign of engine lugging which I like to avoid. By lugging I mean pto rpm drops below 500 rpm from 540 at any point, getting too big. That's all with the intake roller feed speed set to minimum. With a 3-4" branch it won't go below 520 rpm in my experience.
The WC68 is a big chipper for our tractor but the B2650 handles it well for weight on the 3-point. Power wise don't expect to to chip 6" hardwood logs especially at middle or higher feed speeds. Setting the feed at slow I found anyway to be plenty fast enough to keep ahead of my gathering the wood to chip. It's very satisfying to feed a 4" base 30-40 ft poplar tree into the chute and stand back and watch it turn to chips in your trailer.
It arrived within a week of ordering, and as I have forks attachment I unloaded it off of the semi. If you don't have unload capability they'll send a truck with a hoist of some kind to drop it at your driveway. My B2650 with SSQA forks handled the weight no problem.
I think it performs great for our "little" tractor, even if the chipper could handle twice the power. I'm thinking the chipper will last longer.
My only hint is to cut your larger diameter material to length at a sharp angle so the in-feed teeth can bite easier.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Thanks @nbryan! Great feedback on your experiences, appreciate it!

Is the WC68 quick hitch compatible?

Last edited:

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
So the two I have my eye on are:
  1. WoodMaxx WM-8H
  2. Woodland Mills WC68

WoodMaxx WM-8H
- $2,995.00
- 19HP PTO requirement
- 8" material
- 200lb flywheel (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1N1J0Wbp-5ZUUtbmFBT3A3c00/view)

Woodland Mills WC68

- $2,899.00
- 20HP PTO requirement
- 6" material
- 100lb flywheel? (they don't say in the docs from what I've found yet, but it is mentioned in this video as "around 100lbs": https://youtu.be/ad782WQdxOo?t=345)

From what I've been reading on here, it seems like the flywheel weight is a huge consideration, and the WM-8H is almost twice as heavy (200lbs vs "around 100lbs") and subsequently can handle 2" larger material with 1 less HP required and is less than $100 more?

Last edited:

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I opted for the Woodmax. I had to pick up the chipper at a freight terminal, since I live on a mountain road where no large trucks are allowed. I am powering with my L3301 (HST). I do not chip anything larger then 4” - anything bigger is cut for firewood. I am impressed with the quality and performance of this chipper. I think that the heavier flywheel can make up for some horsepower. I have had a large diesel tow chipper in the past. It had a bigger capacity, but I actually like using this chipper more.

Jack

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Here is the measurements from the site - It looks like it could be but you can check the measurements to be sure

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I don't know from experience any difference in performance with 100lb vs 200lb flywheels, but the heavier the wheel the more momentum it can carry, and more torque and time to get up to speed. So the lighter wheel on the wc68 responds faster, slowing slightly more when extra-tough or thick materials hit it, but it also recovers faster. I'd think I'd like a heavier flywheel if I had a stronger higher hp/torque tractor. But this is just speculation on my part - maybe another contributor here does have working experience with different power tractors and heavier vs lighter chipper flywheels.
But my thinking is as we're at the lower limit pro power wise for the wc68 chipper, having a lighter flywheel may actually help!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I updated the original post with the PTO in the breakdown. As @nbryan said, those are the PTO HP requirements.

I too would be curious on others who have chipper experience on the flywheel weight vs PTO HP "balance". Is more flywheel weight better when you're on the lowend of the HP requirement?

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Demo of the Woodland Mills WC68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad782WQdxOo

Demo of the Woodland Mills WC88 (definitely oversized for the B2650, just adding it for the bogging aspect mentioned below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXW7UJQpWMQ

I noticed in the second video the WC88 sounded like it bogged down with the 6" cherry but he adjusted the speed to get it through. Not sure if that's normal operation to bog a little like that or something you'd aim to avoid, I'd imagine they wouldn't show it if you should avoid it?

Not sure what tractor they used here but it definitely looks bigger than the B2650 in both videos.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Demo of the Woodland Mills WC68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad782WQdxOo

Demo of the Woodland Mills WC88 (definitely oversized for the B2650, just adding it for the bogging aspect mentioned below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXW7UJQpWMQ

I noticed in the second video the WC88 sounded like it bogged down with the 6" cherry but he adjusted the speed to get it through. Not sure if that's normal operation to bog a little like that or something you'd aim to avoid, I'd imagine they wouldn't show it if you should avoid it?

Not sure what tractor they used here but it definitely looks bigger than the B2650 in both videos.
I definitely minimize the feed speed for bigger or denser wood, or lugging the engine is likely which I try to avoid. To be expected when barely producing minimum HP @ PTO on our B2650s. Even then the chipper keeps up with my gathering/loading speed almost always.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Consider what kind of trees you will be putting through the machine. Some chip nicely, some shred, some string and jamb up the machine.

If you can, have a good look at both machines and take a close look at how easy it is and the number of tools you need to remove covers/chutes etc to in-clog jamb ups. Have the dealer demonstrate.

I would also look for a rotating chute and hydraulic power in-feed rollers. More than one roller works better for feeding spreading branches. A bigger throat and power in-feed means less cutting branches for you.

When you finally get your machine post your review!

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Thanks for the input all! Good to see all the options out there!

As I'm looking at this, something about the design and features of the Woodland Mills WC68 has me leaning that way. The attention to detail with the rounded edges so branches don't get hung up in seams, and the folder over/compact nature of the design are great. I think the only downside is maybe the flywheel weight compared to the WoodMaxx.

The Titan and Wallenstein both look like nice machines as well, just smaller material (however this is only a 19.5HP at the PTO tractor). The flywheel on them looks to be about the same weight as the Woodland Mills WC68.

I don't think seeing any of them in person is an option, there's no dealers or distributors that I know of nearby. I'd have to just go by reviews online to make my selection.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
The flywheel weight issue is a bit if a red herring, I think. A slightly lighter flywheel will have less momentum and slow a bit quicker under heavy loads, but will also take longer to return to speed, too. But there will be no difference in power to do the job. A lighter flywheel is just easier to stop and start. The WC68 on my B2650 does a great job. I just slow the roller feed speed for bigger material.
Just remember if you get the WC68, the directions for shortening the supplied PTO shaft leaves very little room to fit the shaft onto the tractor and chipper when mounted on the 3 point. Cut it 1 inch or so shorter than specified in the directions. That leaves plenty of meat on the spline shaft to transfer power, and makes installing it way less of an problem than sticking with the instructions measurements - which do allow it to fit, but BARELY, and a major pain.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Whatever machine you use, remember, the knives get dull after a while and that robs power and causes the chips to come out stringy.

I sharpen all chipper knives *(any make, any length)* and resquare anvils too. You can find my blurb as a sticky on here under wanted and for sale....

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I've been using the Woodland Mills WC68 on my L4060 for the better part of a year now, heavy use for hours on end. It's well designed and solidly constructed and chews through pretty much anything you throw at it.