Leave it running or shut it off

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I see a few posts but cant seem to find them now. Going to be loading firewood into a utility cart and stacking. Probably 5-10 minutes between loads. Better to shut the BX23s down or leave it running? If running, leave it at idle or at a higher RPM?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
shut it off, waste of fuel otherwise( $4.50 USD/ USG up here). If you do 12 loads, idling for 5 minutes, that'd be an extra HOUR on the clock...gettin ZERO in return.

I've never understood the 'better to keep a diesel running' mantra... The ONLY place I KNOW it's be true is waaay up north, in Winter, say as an Ice Road Trucker.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If it's 5 minutes or less stacking, just leave it running. The fuel usage is almost nothing when a diesel is idling.

I'll set the parking brake on my zero turn and idle it down if I'm just running in the house to grab a bottle of water or move some sticks to the brush pile.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Are the hours "normalized" for Full rated rpm on the BX series?

It is on a couple of my tractors (I don't have a BX)
If so, the hours accumulate slowly at idle revs.

With that, I shut down whenever I leave the tractor seat to do other things. You can never tell what might come up. I do have to put the B7200 on the battery charger from time to time ( every couple of weeks) when doing wood hauling with the wagon. That little dynamo just can't put the electrons back in fast enough. ;-)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m in the let it run crowd. Fuel usage will be very minimal. Hours? I could care less. I do the same with my diesel truck.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I'm in the leave it running crowd myself, idle for me is little less than 1000. I keep it at 1200 most of the time when just messing around and I use the 10 minute rule myself.

I too don't care about the hours, no intentions of ever getting rid of mine and I call my 4600 the fuel sipper. I ran it all day hogging at PTO and it took 3 gallons to top it back off. Not sure that when I would stop to move some limbs, grab some water, stretch or even eat my sandwich would have made much of a difference if I had shut it off each time, I did idle it back though.

Maybe if you use it all day every day that in a week or two it would add up but not obvious in my case.

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Let it run, fuel use will be negligable and your starter will last longer, especially if you get into the habit of shutting it off everytime you are off it for a minute or few.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My brother was doing the stop every time stuff.

Then, even with a new battery, he was complaining the engine would, at times, barely start. His frequent starts and short on's was draining the battery. The charging system could not recover during the short run periods.

Now, conscious of what is happening, he leaves the machine run much more often. Problem gone.

Dave

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I see a few posts but cant seem to find them now. Going to be loading firewood into a utility cart and stacking. Probably 5-10 minutes between loads. Better to shut the BX23s down or leave it running? If running, leave it at idle or at a higher RPM?
Most advise that diesel engines not be shut down in such situations, and I concur.

Fuel usage at idle is negligible and repetitive starting takes a toll on starter drives and ring gears.

SDT

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I’m in the let it run crowd. Fuel usage will be very minimal. Hours? I could care less. I do the same with my diesel truck.

same here. if its at an idle? & you are just filling a load of wood?

let it run. that tiny bit of time on the meter means nothing to me.

hint: best way to keep your hours low on the machine is to not just leave the key on when you walk away from it. YES ive done that. now i take the key OUT when its turned off.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The other issue of repeated shut downs. Do it often enough with out enough run time, and you may hit the key and no start. That started uses a bunch of juice.

If you start the machine, drive it for two minutes then shut it off, start it back up after loading the fire wood, then do another two minute trip. Shut it back off. Your creating a deficit in your charge on your battery. After a while it will get sluggish on starting. And eventually the battery will give out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Leave it running. Easier on the tractor.

Fuel consumption is nearly nothing and I personally don’t care about the hours or resale value. I bought the tractor for myself and will use it as such.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
deleted a couple of post. Honestly think it was just humor gone wrong. Remember folks..... if you intend to be humorous or sarcastics... use the freakin emojis to express that is your intent:rolleyes:. that is what they are their for. ;)

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Remember that 95%+ of an engines wear happens during the 5 minutes after each start. The more you can cut that the better.

A few hours, up to a hundred or so are meaningless to the value of the tractor. Yes a tractor with 3,500 hr is generally worth less than one with 700 hours. If the difference between two like tractors is 1-2 hundred hours the price will be the same.

But the people on this forum are generally amateur tractor operators and put 1-2 hundred hours a year. At that rate we will never wear out our engines with in our lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
For the non dpf BX tractor, I would let it idle rather than shut it off. My diesel ZD mowers get started once per day and are idled while I trim and do whatever.
My dpf L4060 gets shut down if I'm going to be off it for 5 or 10 minutes, OR I keep the rpm's at around 1500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If you shut down for every little pause...it is true you might help save the planet by polluting a tiny bit less, and burning a tiny bit less fuel. But you won't help save your tractor...Starting up is when the most engine wear occurs. You'll also wear out the starter faster, and your battery faster.

Your BX doesn't have emissions equipment such as a DPF, which is more sensitive to prolonged idling. There is no harm to idling for a few minutes.

I've told this story before, but last year I was completing a job in the field at night - I idled my MX4800 (with a DPF) for a good 2-3 hours running just headlights and aux lights. Totally didn't care, and that was nearly 100 hours ago. I also idle my diesel pickup for as long as I feel like.