Woods 48" billy goat m4-1 rotary cutter

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I emailed Woods and asked for a technical drawing of the shaft I need to make. They sent me the prints!
Makes it so much easier to make the part.

Attachments

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I know I never updated this thread but here goes.

The rebuild did not go quite as I hoped. I could not make the shaft so I had a shop make it. I gave them the print I recieved from woods. Well they could not follow the print if they tried. I didn't measure the shaft when it was finished. I payed and grabbed it and went home. Well time went by and I started back on the project. So I went to put the gear on would not go on. So I got the mic out and checked it. .002 bigger. So I checked the shaft the same .002 bigger. The 3/8 keyway was on the print to fit a 2" long key. Nope 1 5/8 max. The 5/8-11 hole was fine. So almost 7 months went by after I picked it up then started working on it again. So I called them. They did not want to talk to me at all ,said I should have checked it within 30 days. So there was no arguing with them, policy they said. So fast forward another year. I was able to use a lathe at one of the auto engine shops I frequent. It was tricky to get it indicated/trammed in but I got it. 4 jaw chuck and live center. The total shaft had .0004 taper . So after 3 hours it was done.
So I had the gear tig welded on. Then bought all the new bearings and races pressed them on,installed the seals . Put shafts in .009 back lash on the gears, put the box all back together this morning got it installed and on the tractor by 5pm. Well it's a runner finally! Only took 2 years! Whew.......!

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
ah but you stayed after it until it was done!

NEVER give up!

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
And it works great, been out all morning cleaning the tree line , I can see between the trees now, im going to spend 4-5 more random days at it. Had to stop today , blew a curl hose. Edit : after looking at it closer, the metal tube that goes around the loader frame to the bucket , the fitting came loose that's pressed or soldered into the tube. I'll have to pull the whole thing off clean it good then silver solder it back on.

Last edited: