Kubota RTV XG850 Sidekick Experience?

AJared

Sep 18, 2018
Medon, TN
I am looking to purchase a UTV and was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with the RTV XG850 Sidekick and what your thoughts are regarding reliability and performance compared to other UTVs on the market? I am looking for a machine to work around the farm mostly. Thanks!

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I bought one a week or so ago, I can't say anything on the reliability but for our needs it does everything asked. It is quick and seems to have all the power I need, the ride is smooth I mean smooth. I bought the black with alloy wheels.
I would take a look at the Kawi line first.

AJared

Sep 18, 2018
Medon, TN
I bought one a week or so ago, I can't say anything on the reliability but for our needs it does everything asked. It is quick and seems to have all the power I need, the ride is smooth I mean smooth. I bought the black with alloy wheels.
Thanks for the info! Ballpark what kind of price should I expect to pay? Thanks!

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
we looked at the RTV and went with the Kawasaki Mule Pro. We use the tractor to drag things around and go slow, which seemed to be the main appeal of the RTV

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We went to the fair (just got back actually) and I bought one, well my wife bought it, I'm paying for it......:eek:

She was looking at the diesel one but they are too slow for her so it's the 40 mph gasser. She's getting a roof, split windshield and Rhino Lined bed in Kubota orange of course.

Don't know who builds the powerplant (not Kubota) but it's a twin overhead cam water cooled twin with 2 range 4 wheel drive and power steering.

Now, I have to sell my quad.

Neat little side by side.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
We went to the fair (just got back actually) and I bought one, well my wife bought it, I'm paying for it......:eek:

She was looking at the diesel one but they are too slow for her so it's the 40 mph gasser. She's getting a roof, split windshield and Rhino Lined bed in Kubota orange of course.

Don't know who builds the powerplant (not Kubota) but it's a twin overhead cam water cooled twin with 2 range 4 wheel drive and power steering.

Now, I have to sell my quad.

Neat little side by side.
I think Subaru builds the engine or did...Kubota is suppose to take over in the future if they haven't already

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Typical me, I looked it over carefully and it's a well built machine, typical Kubota. Said to Dennis, 'you want me to sign any papers/". He said of course not, you want one we will get one, set it up the way (my wife) wants and deliver it and then we will do the paperwork. Nice dealing with my dealer, why I won't go anywhere else.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I agree they are Subaru engines and will soon be Kubota manufactured. I’m glad to see they are getting into the dual purpose work/play market with the RTV line. I have a RTV 1120 diesel and I love it for me. It is a heavy duty work machine. I totally understand the disappointment if you want to go fast. There are lots of machines out there that can go fast that would have been a better choice if speed is your priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Speed isn't a priority for me, guess my wife's. I will put a spray rig on it and have to road it anyway so 40 is better than 25. Additionally, the diesel UTV's are appreciably more expensive to purchase.

My Honda quad will run about 45 flat out. Hate to get rid of it but unlike tractors, only need one, not multiple ones.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Speed isn't a priority for me, guess my wife's. I will put a spray rig on it and have to road it anyway so 40 is better than 25. Additionally, the diesel UTV's are appreciably more expensive to purchase.

My Honda quad will run about 45 flat out. Hate to get rid of it but unlike tractors, only need one, not multiple ones.
Just aren't many aftermarket stuff for it yet, I'm sure once they sale more the stuff will start to show up...Kubota accessories are just to costly for me

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I think MSRP on a RTV X1120D is around $18K. And just a FYI the 1120 is a smidge faster than the 900. 29 MPH is what they will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I agree they are Subaru engines and will soon be Kubota manufactured. I’m glad to see they are getting into the dual purpose work/play market with the RTV line. I have a RTV 1120 diesel and I love it for me. It is a heavy duty work machine. I totally understand the disappointment if you want to go fast. There are lots of machines out there that can go fast that would have been a better choice if speed is your priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My friend had a 900 that thing had like 3000+ hours on it..looked like crap but ran perfect. I think they're like the old Honda 4 cyl ( 750cc) motorcycles of the 1970's almost impossible to tear up.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just aren't many aftermarket stuff for it yet, I'm sure once they sale more the stuff will start to show up...Kubota accessories are just to costly for me
Not really expensive. All my wife wants is the fold down windshield and the roof (not the fancy one with the sound system, the plain one) 13 OTD. Just talked to my dealer this morning. Good old 0 percent financing too.

I'll fab up and mount my own winch and base.

Neither of us are into all the 'fancy crap'. Will buy it as an ag unit.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I think MSRP on a RTV X1120D is around $18K. And just a FYI the 1120 is a smidge faster than the 900. 29 MPH is what they will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Way too slow for my wife (and myself). Heck, my tractors run 22mph.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Not really expensive. All my wife wants is the fold down windshield and the roof (not the fancy one with the sound system, the plain one) 13 OTD. Just talked to my dealer this morning. Good old 0 percent financing too.

I'll fab up and mount my own winch and base.

Neither of us are into all the 'fancy crap'. Will buy it as an ag unit.
sounds like you getting a good deal, dealers in my area would throw me out if I offered 13 OTD with those accessories

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
And the lead mechanic is buying my Honda Foreman too. It's a 94 with 344 hours on it. Mint. How the Sidekick will be too. We don't flog on anything.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"And the lead mechanic is buying my Honda Foreman too. It's a 94 with 344 hours on it."

Less than 14 hours a year makes one wonder why you even bought it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Less than 14 hours a year makes one wonder why you even bought it.
To go fast 14 times a year obviously. People with 5 tractors shouldn't question the toys that other people buy..... :D