PTO lever is not disengaging the PTO

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
I'm sure many others have had this issue- but when searching, "PTO" is not recognized because it is only 3 letters long. So I will apologize in advance if this has been discussed repeatedly.

So I have an L3800 with just shy of 100 hours. I don't use the PTO often, just to hog around ponds and clearing brush in the fall. Recently I noticed when I move the lever to disengage the pto and release the clutch- the pto is still on.

It seems the cable is not moving smoothly and it gets bound up right there at the switch. I can sort of force the cable down the tube, but would like advice from others that may have dealt with this. It is under warranty- but getting it to the dealership is a bit of a chore. The rubber cover is still intact on both ends of the cable so I don't think debris is binding it up. The other end of the cable is attached to a spring loaded lever on the side of the transmission- it seems to move OK, maybe the spring isn't strong enough to pull the cable through?

Thanks!

apeckham

Equipment
L3800HST, Buhler 6' Finish Mower, Land Pride APS500, Land Pride RB3774
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
Look under your seat where the cable connects to the lever. Put some lubricant on that levers pivot point where it goes into the casting.

Have made this part of my normal maintenance routine.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
Thanks for the tip, do you just try to get it smeared up there with your finger? I usually have a "bit" extra when I lube the rest of the machine- sometimes I have a glob hanging off if I'm not paying attention. :)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would suggest a spray type like fluid film or LPS. Something that leaves an oil film of sorts. Penetrating lube is ok, once it loosens up a smear of grease may keep it from sticking.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Take off both ends of the cable and slide it in and out and see if it moves smoothly. If it doesn't just replace the cable, it's not worth trying to get cleaned out. That spring should be more than heavy enough to return that cable if it's not binding.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
Just a follow up, I did spray oil up there and spent quite a bit of time working the lever with one hand and trying to pivot the lever with the other. After a lot of movement back and fourth- it now is working. Not sure if I'm not using the PTO enough to keep it freed up.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Steve

apeckham

Equipment
L3800HST, Buhler 6' Finish Mower, Land Pride APS500, Land Pride RB3774
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
Good deal.

I think the clearance between the lever and the casting is so tight that the slightest amount of dirt or rust causes things to bind up.

I unhooked the cable when I was trying to get mine freed up. Used some penetrating oil, then blew it out with air then back with some TriFlow lubricant. Now when I do my normal grease job I hit hit the lever gap with some TriFlow. No more issues.

Thanks for the follow up.